Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What may be considered rare in the future?

What modern era cards do u feel are rare? I will define modern as POST-1973. e.g. is a 1979 opc gretzky rare to you? Or is an opc 1979 gretzky in psa 10 rare to you because it is 1/1 although there is endless lower grade supply for sale. Feel free to include oddball or cards many do not know exist. Its up to you. To me, many collectors have underestimated modern era rare minor league cards, police locally issued cards in all sports, and Canada only issues in many sports. For example look at the pop report of 1986 Procards Curt Schilling vs. 1987 Procards Curt Schilling. I sense that the 1986 is much much rarer. Same for Randy Johnson 1986 vs. 1987 procards. I Love showing off an 84 Miami police Marino psa 10 to those who only know the topps. Did u even know there was an 1984 miami police marino? What do you think is rare?

Comments

• Options
    I think most cards in the 80's can't be considered rare. Even if there are Pop 1's, I'm talking regular issue cards, they won't last long.

Is a Gretzky OPC PSA 9 rare, I think so there are only 51 graded last I looked, I don't see that number topping 60 anytime soon unless cases are uncovered and they get graded out.

Michael Jordan 90's inserts, well I think we'll all agree those are rare.

Some of the players that started 2000-now, National Treasures, Exquisite, Refractor's, low serial numbered high grade stars/RC's, those are rare.

Also back to the 70's. If a Brett/Yount PSA 10 ever comes out, those would be rare, 70's Nolan Ryan PSA 10's those are rare. How about Ozzie Smith PSA 10 RC? We all know that deal.

A lot will be told over the next decade about more of the cards from the late 90's to now, as those stars retire and eventually move to the hall. I'm talking all sports. It will be interesting, but low serial numbered from the 90's up stars and future HOF's are the way to go for rare modern cards...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Anything numbered less than 100 that doesn't have mutliple parallel versions, are wise purchases in the long run. Anything numbered to 25 or less.
  • Options
    I think its the luck of the draw with 70's or early 80's cards.

-I.e. Remember when an 84 Topps Marino PSA 10 was $2,500 or $3,000? Same with the Elway.

The Rice 10 rookie has held its value.

-The Henderson rookie and Smith 79 Topps have been very solid. But then look at....Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn? Those have collapsed.

-I don't even know about 80's opc.

I remember as a kid in the 90's thinking a Messier rookie or Paul Coffey was "rare" in high grade. A PSA 9 would have been unheard of, now it seems like they're available all the time.

Maybe, you have to think about how unique a card is (i.e. no chipping on the back, perfectly centered on the front) to see if a card is rare. Some cards you'll never find centered or the way you want it.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I would think you cant consider condition rarities ie PSA10 cards, you need to look at how many of the cards exist total, not just how many were graded and how many received a certain grade by a certain grading company, that may have gone out of business long ago...
    Anyone could make a low pop/condition rarity card.... take a 1979 Mark Lemongello, put 15 creases in it, and send it it to be slabbed and it comes back a PSA-1 with a pop of 1.... who the heck would grade another, its worth 1 penny....

Another thing that may affect the demand is the "intentional rarities" aka "Limited Editions" ie cards that are serial numbered 1/1, these are not truly rare, they were originally intentionally made "rare". A truly rare card became rare over time when many were used abused, destroyed or lost... and the numbers were limited originally because they were ugly and sold bad, or were released on only a single day in a single town, or discontinued early because of a trade, or the printing plate broke, etc. like many of the older rare cards were.

The only modern card I can think of offhand that fits this in the post 1980 Era is the 1981 Granny Goose Dave Revering card.
    Its a throwback card, ... issued Free with a product or service of some kind, it was removed from production early because of a trade, a high % were damage by chip grease or thrown away by noncard fans who originally pulled them from the chip back, and they were a regional issue. Im sure there are others, but cant think of any.