Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Contemplation in Garrett's Evergreen House

During the 2003 Summer ANA in Baltimore, I had occasion to tour Evergreen House, the former residence of John Work Garrett. As I visited the rooms of the mansion, I could imagine Mr. Garrett in quiet contemplation of my 1859-D quarter eagle. It is interesting backstories such as this that make our numismatic treasures "come to life."

"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pedigrees like Chapman - Garrett just doesn't get any better.......and sitting in that library on a rainy day back in 1923 doesn't seem that bad either. >>

I love the coin, and I'm with you on the Garrett provenance, but I honestly do not understand the Chapman one.

Does this mean the coin came from a Chapman auction? if so, it's a little like having the provenance of "Heritage".

Or perhaps it was purchased from Chapman in his capacity as a coin dealer, in which case it is akin to listing the provenance of a coin as "Rare Coin Wholesalers" (for example).
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    I know collectors who viewed Garrett Collection coins at the Evergreen House, well prior to the Bowers & Ruddy auctions of the Garrett Collection in 1979 and 1980. Also, Stack’s sold a portion of the Garrett Collection in the mid 1970s. All these events, unfortunately, were before my time. I would like to visit the Evergreen House, though I would prefer to visit sites that currently house great coins.

RealOne: <<Pedigrees like Chapman - Garrett just doesn't get any better … >>

The Eliasberg pedigree is better, IMO. Furthermore, the Chapman brothers together and later separately operated auction firms. It is awkward, and a bit odd, to include the name of an owner of an auction firm in a pedigree designation on a PCGS insert. Is there some reason to believe that the Garrett 1859-D Quarter Eagle was in the personal collection of Henry Chapman or S. H. Chapman?

CCU, I was writing my post while you submitted your post and I did not realize that you would also be questioning the Chapman pedigree. You ‘beat me to it.’ I am under the impression, though, that each of the Chapman Brothers personally collected coins. (Added via an ‘edit.’)

RealOne <<... and sitting in that library on a rainy day back in 1923 doesn't seem that bad either. >>

Yes, I have heard that this library is impressive. If I was around in 1923, I would have been delighted to view Garrett Family coins at the Evergreen House.

$1.38 Million Auction Record for a (Garrett) Half Eagle

Why is the Eliasberg 1895-S Eagle Special?

Coin Rarities & Related Topics: Eliasberg 1795 Eagle, Gem Oak Tree Shilling and 1806 quarter of the rarest variety!

Garrett Family coins are prominently in the second part of my series on Natural Toning

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pedigrees like Chapman - Garrett just doesn't get any better.......and sitting in that library on a rainy day back in 1923 doesn't seem that bad either. >>

I love the coin, and I'm with you on the Garrett provenance, but I honestly do not understand the Chapman one.

Does this mean the coin came from a Chapman auction? if so, it's a little like having the provenance of "Heritage".

Or perhaps it was purchased from Chapman in his capacity as a coin dealer, in which case it is akin to listing the provenance of a coin as "Rare Coin Wholesalers" (for example). >>

For the record, John Work Garrett purchased the coin via private treaty from Samuel Hudson Chapman, on December 16, 1919, for $35.

Your point about Chapman is well-taken, but I supposed one treats "old time dealers," such as the Chapman Brothers, differently (relative to provenance) than a modern dealer (such as Rare Coin Wholesalers). Some of this may be due to the venerable status that certain dealers have attained, in this case after the passing of almost a century, and are thus worthy of inclusion in the provenance. In a similar light, I don't consider modern ownership in the same category as that of one of the renowned collectors of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. IMO, such acclaim must pass the "test of time."
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, GeorgeKellogg!

I love threads like this. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, that place is amazing. Great post!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and awesome piece!!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭

<< <i>During the 2003 Summer ANA in Baltimore, I had occasion to tour Evergreen House, the former residence of John Work Garrett. As I visited the rooms of the mansion, I could imagine Mr. Garrett in quiet contemplation of my 1859-D quarter eagle. It is interesting backstories such as this that make our numismatic treasures "come to life."

image >>

For the record, this piece is from a Stack's Garrett auction in 1976, not from the Bowers and Ruddy sales.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"-------Ron Burgundy

PS-Great thread and thanks for sharing. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I think i'd like to go there, send me to the library image Nice post, thanks.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting your trip pics GeorgeKellogg image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Some great woodworking in that library.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. Coins that can be associated with specific times and places are that much more special.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting history and nice photos, thanks for sharing them.
    (For a minute, I thought that was the fabled "Longacre Estate."image)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file