Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brandon, FL Coin Show Report

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
From the primary standpoint of seeking out Mercury Dime Varieties -

Small Show - Close to 30 Tables or so.........

I went with my kids and had a good time although I wish I had a bit more success....heck, ANY success would have been nice. I found a new Cherrypickers' Guide variety 1934-D/D Merc in Raw EF but unfortunately the dealer knew what it was, had it marked on the 2x2 and wanted $50 for it. Ugh! I passed. I'm looking for Mint State anyway. I found numerous 1928-Large S and 1941-Large S examples that were marked and priced VERY HIGH so I passed. I found a few of those two in lower grades that I could have Cherrypicked for close to melt but what's the point really...so I passed on all of those as well. I found a 1940-S/S FS-501 in lower grade that I could have Cherrypicked but passed on it....I just don;t have a need for it. I found two lower grade 1943-S Trumpettails that I could have Cherrypicked but I passed on those as well.

I found a 1892 Barber Quarter in a PCGS MS62 Doily holder. My eyes lit up! I looked up the coin on the PCGS Price Guide quickly, realized how much the dealer was asking and quickly realized I did not have enough money for it. It made me very sad because I know I could have made some money off of it by re-selling it. UGH! So I did the next best thing I could...I posted a THREAD about it with the dealer's contact info once I got to my car and could plug my phone in... for anyone that wanted to jump all over it. My kids had been playing with my iPhone so the battery had died and I was unable to take photos of it...this made me sad as well. image I was able to help out a fellow forum member that craves the PLASTIC so that made me happy. image

I found a lot of Mercury Dimes to look through today but I just wasn't able to find the right ones. The next show I will go to will be in about 2 or 3 weeks. I am looking forward to a bit more success then.

The kids were good, I still had fun...and since I did not spend any money at the show, I took the kids out to lunch afterwards. image
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report Greg. Too bad you didn't find any new toys. Maybe next time.

Any of you slab collectors jump on the Doiley??
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. I know from experience, any time the kids act good in that kind of situation, you're ahead of the game! image
  • Options

<< <i>Good report Greg. Too bad you didn't find any new toys. Maybe next time.

Any of you slab collectors jump on the Doiley?? >>

I do believe Lakesammman claimed it. image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, Greg.
    I had heard some time ago this was a nice little show, with reasonable prices, but I've never made it over there.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Fun reports, keyman!

When I go to local shows, I spend most of my time looking to cherry Lincoln cent varieties. Some of the highs and lows are pretty much the same as what you experience. Whenever I see dealers with coins marked as minor varieties (which isn't too often) I usually just pass. Most of the fun with these minor varieties is finding them in the raw, taking them home and studying them, pouring over books, and hopefully attributing them. It's all about the process. Also, I only ever give a closer look to pieces that look pretty enough without being varieties- and just MS pieces. Much easier to attribute and appreciate all the die markers in MS. The disappointment of seeing a nice variety that is cleaned or an ugly beast not worth buying is just too much. image

Thanks again for posting and good luck on the next hunt!
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>Also, I only ever give a closer look to pieces that look pretty enough without being varieties- and just MS pieces. Much easier to attribute and appreciate all the die markers in MS. The disappointment of seeing a nice variety that is cleaned or an ugly beast not worth buying is just too much. image

Thanks again for posting and good luck on the next hunt! >>

Thanks. Trust me, I prefer just to look at the nice MS examples but GEEEEZ, sometimes there are just too few and I have look at something. I do end up looking through a lot of circulated and CLEANED AU examples and it makes me sad. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file