Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1868 shield nickel variety?

raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Can anyone help me identify this 68 shield nickel? On the obverse, the 1 appears to have been re-punched, but the second 8 has been re-punched. There are die cracks on both sides. On the reverse, where all the stars are flat, they are doubled. The 5 has been struck 3 times, with die clashes from the obv to the left of the 5. Thanks in advance!
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you take a picture of the date and upload the original images, do not crop them, they will be very large.

or you can drag the original image into paint program and the images will be very large, then you can crop everything out but the date.

it makes it easier for us to help you. try it a few times and see what you can come up with

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully Howards will chime in - he is the forum expert on these varieties.
    If he can't properly attribute it from photos, if you send it to him, he will attribute it and take excellent photos for no charge, just shipping and insurance. You also may be able to attribute it yourself on the shield nickel site he helps maintain.
    -------------------------
    Edit to add -

http://www.shieldnickels.net

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Your photos of the date aren't sharp enough for me to make really definitive comments, but I'll give a stab at answering your observations in order:

1. I can't see any RPD in your photos. It would not be unusual for the 1 and the 8 to be repunched in opposite directions if the punch were tilted (clockwise or counterclockwise).

2. Die cracks are very common on shield nickels.

3. Apparent doubling of the reverse stars is strike doubling.

4. It is not possible for the big 5 to be struck multiple times without the entire coin being struck multiple times. I think there is a little strike doubling on the big 5. The things you think are clash marks are die fatigue lines (little cracks in the die that result in the spikes you see).

The only variety I do see on the coin is that there is a Breen number for an 1868 with the date crowded into the ball like your coin shows. It is common, and appears on multiple dies. There is no premium for it.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels are so cool!
    Did I just say that?image
  • Options

<< <i>Shield Nickels are so cool!
    Did I just say that?image >>

Okay, you're officially on my "good guy" list. image
  • Options

<< <i>Can anyone help me identify this 68 shield nickel?] >>

we gettin some new images?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Howards! The one and the 8 are RPD, but, hard for ME to photograph. I've tried again. Almost all the stars on the reverse are doubled. The large 5 shows being re-punched to the east and west. Thanks a lot in advance!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    In your first photo, I see a hint of what might be an RPD, might be strike doubling, and might be nothing at all. Can't really tell. If it is an RPD, it's very minor and would be unlikely to be worth a premium as these are so common for shield nickels.

Doubling on the reverse stars and big 5 is nearly without question strike doubling. There are no known DDRs where the 5 is doubled.
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file