Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

anyone else still waiting for thier 1099 from paypal ?

ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
i believe i went over the 200 transactions, but have yet to receive anything from paypal. whats the next step ?
regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    It's 200 transactions and $20,000 (you must meet both). Give Paypal a call and they will tell you if you have one coming. If you have not got it yet I'd say probably not.
  • Options
    oh i thought it was "whichever comes first" im over 200 transactions but i dont think i did $20K
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Nope It's both.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    qualified with two accounts. Called three times, said they would send, never did. never appeared in paypal account under "tax forms." Filed without it, I have the numbers. Checked "no 1099" on tax forms.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine quite some time ago.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ive been waiting.. and not so anxiously. just got off the phone with them and they said i dont have to report, which is good considering that a good portion of what i did sell was for other people, and what i sold of mine were mostly things i dindt plan on selling ever so i didnt bother keeping records of what i bought the stuff for, which leads to a hypothetical question, if i sell something for say $50 and i have no idea what i paid for it, could guess but had no reason to keep actual records again because i never planned to sell it, would i be liable for the whole $50 as "income" even though i may not have made more than $20 "profit" off the item ? i guess im wondering what is a calculation for selling personal items or items that are sold in times of hardship at a loss or just to raise some money ? doesnt make sense to be liable for 100% of what is sold if you dont have records of what the items actually cost originally. unless you can claim deductions .. im interested in hearing what some of the legal experts have to say on the subject
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say "doesnt make sense to be liable for 100% of what is sold if you dont have records of what the items actually cost originally".

The IRS could take that to mean "does make sense to be liable for 100% of what is sold if you paid by cash originally".
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    how many things have you purchased for free using cash ?
  • Options

<< <i>how many things have you purchased for free using cash ? >>

None.

I meant if you paid by cash, you wouldn't have a receipt (proof of cost), therefore cost is zero ("free").

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    ahh ! now i understand.... but im thinking that is incorrect.
  • Options
    cash price for a puchase is your basis. If receipt not available IRS should be satisfied with good consice record keeping.

• Options

<< <i>cash price for a puchase is your basis. If receipt not available IRS should be satisfied with good consice record keeping. >>

I don't know if the IRS during an audit will accept a scribble in someones notebook stating "price for coin paid for in 2002 for $200".

During an audit, if the IRS wants to play hardball and there's no receipt, then you could be dinged for 100% of your selling price.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That line on the schedule C is for if you made payments that require you to issue any 1099, not if you recived any. i checked no, becuase I did not issue any, just recieved a few??

Isnt this correct?
  • Options
    ill go out on a limb and say that IRS agents are intelligent enough to realize that the liklihood of someone "finding" $20k worth of coins is minimal, so in lieu of proper records, there is most certainly a guideline they use. is it reasonable considering that no matter how diligent one is, things do get lost, including receipts.
  • Options
    Did someone say intelligent and IRS in the same sentence........isn't the IRS a branch of the Federal Government ???.....image
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ill go out on a limb and say that IRS agents are intelligent enough to realize that the liklihood of someone "finding" $20k worth of coins is minimal, so in lieu of proper records, there is most certainly a guideline they use. is it reasonable considering that no matter how diligent one is, things do get lost, including receipts. >>

Did you just use IRS, intelligent, and reasonable in the same post!!! Think about that. I think your limb is about to be sawed off. IF you were audited you would have to prove basis otherwise the reasonable intelligent government agents can impute income and that would stink to say the least.

Sorry Dice 21just read your comment.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i believe i went over the 200 transactions, but have yet to receive anything from paypal. whats the next step ? >>

Your sales records you keep should be used to figure out how many PayPal sales you had. In addition to that, you can download your monthly history.

PayPal 1099's have all been out for weeks. Corporations did not get a 1099, just individuals from PayPal.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i believe i went over the 200 transactions, but have yet to receive anything from paypal. whats the next step ? >>

Your sales records you keep should be used to figure out how many PayPal sales you had. In addition to that, you can download your monthly history.

PayPal 1099's have all been out for weeks. Corporations did not get a 1099, just individuals from PayPal. >>

Our company just sent out a few more that were missed. Some even to other corporations. When in doubt issue a 1099.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>cash price for a puchase is your basis. If receipt not available IRS should be satisfied with good consice record keeping. >>

I don't know if the IRS during an audit will accept a scribble in someones notebook stating "price for coin paid for in 2002 for $200".

During an audit, if the IRS wants to play hardball and there's no receipt, then you could be dinged for 100% of your selling price. >>

difference between a scribble and good concise record keeping.

• Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    tomorrow i'll be hopefully submitting my taxes

6 figures worth of sales, 5000+ transactions.. minimal records.. gonna wing it. thinking about suicide. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1099 arrived promptly. It was easier this year than any other year. Why ? Because PAY PAL did the figuring for me. I just have to figure costs of goods , subtract fees, s/h, etc... and voila.

eBay still sucksimage
    14% baby.
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay still sucks >>

big time

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file