Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don't like sellers who hope to find a sucker

Yes, this is America and the entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged. What I can not stand, is weasels who attempt to prey on suckers.

There is an EBAY seller tin_star_62 who essentially does BIN's from a couple of sellers, and attempts to mark them up as much as 500%
and hope to find a sucker.

Here is a good example ...

He buys a $30 card from $SC via BIN

Paid $30 for the card

He then lists the card for $195

Trying to re-sell for $195

At least to me, this screws up the market and screws the legit collector's who like to buy at a reasonable price.
He essentially sits and watches the new BIN's from 4SC all day long and grabs them when they pop up. Within a couple of days, he'll re-list with HUGE markups.
Personally, I have no problem with those that buy "lots" and break them down and I am particularly a fan of probstein123's theory of let the market determine the price.

Sorry, but I have a real problem with this type of selling. Full disclosure ... I bid on an item from this seller, and won, then went through his feedback to see what was
going on.

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    There's a couple sellers of my old Grif stuff like that. I don't care...if they wanna sit on it, whatever...
  • Options
    I do see your point but there many others who also do this on e-bay. Seen many 1952 Parkhurst hockey sell just to see the buyers put up on e-bay for alot more money then he paid. I've actually bought ungraded cards on e-bay and then had them graded just to have the person who sold them to me buy some of them back !!
    E-bay is funny sometimes, don't let it bother you or else he wins without selling you a thing !! A couple of times i've sent offers what they paid for the item and i have gotten responces like they have more into it then that. And then i send them the link or tell them i know exactly what you paid.
    Just have fun with it.
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of slimy people on ebay trying to be dishonest. But I do not feel this is one of them.

I've seen people take a reprint Crack Jack card, bend it like it 90 years old, and hide RP in the listing. THAT is dishonest.
  • Options
    People should not be spending $200 on a card if they are not educated about it.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I've noticed this seller being pretty active with Nolan Ryan cards lately since that's who I collect. I find it frustrating, but not really at him, because there's nothing shady or dishonest about what he is doing. The frustrating part is he picks off these BIN's very quickly which means I miss my shot at a lot of them. Also, VCP does not pick up the sales on a LOT of these when he buys them quickly, so it's easy to miss that he bought a card for $75 and relisted it at $195 immediately. If the last sale is 2 years ago otherwise, it doesn't look like such an outlier. The problem is the "sucker" sets the new price and it takes a while (if ever) for it to come back to where it probably should be. Again, I find it interesting and a little frustrating, but the market is the market.

jbox
  • Options
    I've noticed this seller being pretty active with Nolan Ryan cards lately since that's who I collect. I find it frustrating, but not really at him, because there's nothing shady or dishonest about what he is doing. The frustrating part is he picks off these BIN's very quickly which means I miss my shot at a lot of them. Also, VCP does not pick up the sales on a LOT of these when he buys them quickly, so it's easy to miss that he bought a card for $75 and relisted it at $195 immediately. If the last sale is 2 years ago otherwise, it doesn't look like such an outlier. The problem is the "sucker" sets the new price and it takes a while (if ever) for it to come back to where it probably should be. Again, I find it interesting and a little frustrating, but the market is the market.

My point exactly. 4SC lists a card for $30, he buys it, lists it for $195. 4SC, in turn, then lists it higher. It's all artificial. I am also a Ryan Collector, and it is incredibly frustrating.
    I would like to have a shot at buying from 4SC when it comes up, but I have a real job/career. I can't sit there and watch BIN's as they pop up. My guess is that
    he is a government worker and is doing this on the taxpayer $. image
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    I do not understand.... do you eat out at restaurants ???? do you know their markup is 300% ??? is this dishonest ??? used car dealers give you 100 for your clunker and then sell it for 650.00....is this dishonest ???
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I mean, technically, ANYONE who is in business buys something and marks it up. When you buy a gallon of milk from the grocer for about $4 now I guess, THEY didnt pay $4 for it. The only thing is in this case, it is visible what the other guy paid for it...I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

I see no difference in someone doing this and someone buying a raw card, getting it graded Gem Mint...like 4SC does and marking it up 500% from what they paid for it.

Maybe its because I own a business and see things differently.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is called the free market. If he wants to buy a card and try and resell it for more good for him.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Agreed. This person is paying 4SC and has to use their money as an investment. That seller spends that $30 (plus shipping as need be) and marks up the card. If the seller does this 100 times, there is $3000 tied up. If they don't find that sucker, then they run the risk of losing the money. There is no guarantee that they can even get the $30 back. I have no issue with this whatsoever. Plus, any educated buyer can look on VCP and see that the card sold for $30 and isn't going to spend $195. It isn't a strategy that I would employ, but dishonest it is not.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I understand the frustration, but if it is a business model that he has found successful, so be it. So what if someone else pays far too much for it?

If I buy a concert ticket for face value in the front row and the guy next to me paid 5x that from a broker (ie. scalper) who is the idiot? Me for not selling and getting 5x return on my purchase, the broker that marked it up or the guy that bought it? It is all a matter of free market and in a free market, there will be objectionable pricing and great value. An educated consumer shops and makes a wise purchase. Others make impuls purchases. These two factors make such mark-ups work. Why do you think grocery stores have certain items near the check-out and prominently displayed on end caps of every aisle?
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I know it would be boring but you could do the same thing and try to snatch them up before he does.
  • Options
    I know it would be boring but you could do the same thing and try to snatch them up before he does.

Actually, the majority of us can not due to having careers that don't allow us to sit in front of EBAY. That is typically
    reserved for government workers. No offense to Federal employees, but I say this with first hand experience having
    run large projects involving Federal employees. They are absolutely OUTSTANDING at surfing the web all day.
    It was so disgusting that I changed my career path so I never had to deal with federal employees ever again. It was a freak show.
    <END OF GOV'T WORKER RANT>
  • Options
    These cards can't be that rare if they are put out at $30. Would seem it would be better to submit some yourself.

I personally love buying a $50 raw modern card, grading it and selling it for $100 or $150. Isn't that we EBay sellers do, buy low sell high? Sounds like these items fit into the overpriced BIN's.

And heck if they are successful at it good for them. Actually if they are really making money at it, might need to look into it.

I know it stinks when they are cards you need, and if you can't get them before the flip, just submit some yourself and under price the high ones.

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    I personally love buying a $50 raw modern card, grading it and selling it for $100 or $150.

Agreed. I typically just collect and hoard. On occasion, I'll switch directions and sell some stuff off or sell excess.
    As for the grading, not sure if it's just my eye sight getting worse, but recently, it has been MUCH tougher getting
    10's on the 80's HOFs. I used to have about a 60% success ratio, but last couple of subs have been less than 25%
    success rate. Is it me, or are others running into the same issue.
  • Options
    Isn't it just pricing arbitrage? There are hundreds of examples of this that take place on a daily basis - it doesn't screw up the market; it helps define it. Here is one of the most interesting examples, cigarettes in concentration camps which is great example of a how a market (for anything) is born albeit in a tragic setting.

R.A. Radford
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing at all deceptive or dishonest about this practice. For all you know this guy is making part of his living off buying and selling cards. Every time he uses the BIN to purchase a card there is no guarantee that he is going to turn around and sell that same card at a profit. If I sell a 70s wax box to Steve Hart, should I get upset a week later that he has it listed several hundred dollars higher on his site if I changed my mind and want to buy it back? That is the free market system.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    All are valid points. I'll let it go, but when you're asking $195, then you're offered $130 ... Don't LIE and say you're into it for more than that when I
    can clearly see what you paid in your feedback, $30. LIE = weasel

If all think the practice has integrity, I may start doing the same.
    <CLOSE of THREAD>
  • Options
    And how this relates to government workers is a mystery to me. While I am not one, I was employed for eight years in the Armed Forces, which technically made me a government worker. While there was some sitting around time playing cards on occasion, there were also perks like time away from family, getting shot at, 18 hour work days, etc. Perhaps this seller owns a baseball card shop, and his livelihood depends on surfing the net looking for good deals. Perhaps he is retired, and has the time to surf the net. Maybe he works graveyard shift and has the time during the day to do what he wants. Who knows? Your name is "lifeshouldbefun". Follow that advice. Relax. It is just cards.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Your name is "lifeshouldbefun". Follow that advice. Relax. It is just cards. >>

+1

Call the guy out on his lie then, don't complain about it. If he doesn't budge let go. His loss...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    And how this relates to government workers is a mystery to me. While I am not one, I was employed for eight years in the Armed Forces, which technically made me a government worker. While there was some sitting around time playing cards on occasion, there were also perks like time away from family, getting shot at, 18 hour work days, etc. Perhaps this seller owns a baseball card shop, and his livelihood depends on surfing the net looking for good deals. Perhaps he is retired, and has the time to surf the net. Maybe he works graveyard shift and has the time during the day to do what he wants. Who knows? Your name is "lifeshouldbefun". Follow that advice. Relax. It is just cards.

You are correct, I am stereo-typing Federal workers. I will elaborate on my experience. It was meant to be funny that Fed employees have the time to sit and hit refresh
    looking for new BINs, but sadly, it is true.

I was on a very large DoD project at the "big house", without mentioning it specifically. The project involved active military, and civilian employees. It really opened my eyes and gave
    me incredible respect for out military personnel. The military guys were flat out phenomenal. Very well educated, and great work ethic. The civilians just showed up, did nothing,
    and collected paychecks. Two sad stories on how your tax dollars are spent. (1) For civilians, there is a program where you can take a sabbatical after (I believe) 7 years. During this sabbatical, you were sent to an MBA program, ALL EXPENSES PAID, AND, you were paid full salary while getting all this for free. The people I worked with, lived in D.C./Virgina, took the sabbatical, and went to Syracuse University in upstate New York. Now, your tax $$ are paying their salaries, their MBA's, the cost of living in Syracuse, etc. These MBA's returned and were the BEST web surfers I've ever seen :-) (2) The "big house" is an extremely large "pentagonal" shape, wink. Since it was soooo big, there were overweight people that were given "scooters" to get around. At lunch time, these overweight people would get on their scooters, scooter down to McDonald's in the food court, then scooter back. I've never seen soooo much money pissed away by federal work. Now who is paying for these scooters ????

I was an independent contractor and the hourly rate was EXTREMELY high. I was so disgusted by the whole thing that I left after a year and took much less to do "real" work. I could not, in good conscience, take the money. Overall, I'd estimate that I saw close to $50 million evaporate. Never again, regardless how high an hourly rate ir offered, will I ever do anything involving the government. Why the government is paying high hourly rates is a completely different scam, but you'll see people making $200/hr+ on these projects. DISGUSTING.

Moral of the story, if you need to watch new BIN's appear instantly, go work for the government image
  • Options
    Insert derailed train here==>
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    That's a lot of bitterness from a guy whose handle is "lifeshouldbefun" image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I understand the OP. And its all cool. I get bitter with things now and then too. But cards are my release. I do cards to get away from it all. If I can't afford a card, then it just wasn't meant to be. And 9 times out of 10, the card will show up again at some later time, sometimes a nicer version at a cheaper price. Just don't let this stuff get you upset or down. That stress will cut away at your life. Let that guy deal with his incessant ebay searches. You just enjoy your card collecting, enjoy your life, and don't let anyone mess that up for you. Especially the government.
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Just want to point out that unless I missed it the OP never used the words "dishonest" or "deceptive" to describe this practice. He's just frustrated that it interferes with his collecting. Also, like I said in my post earlier, VCP misses BIN's when they are snapped up quickly, check for yourself. So when a low pop card that hasn't sold for 2 years gets snatched up and relisted, a lot of times the recent sale is not reflected. I actually agree that it's a pretty good strategy on some of the cards this guy is doing this on considering how hot Ryan's cards have been lately. In fact, it only takes one "sucker" to define the new market price. Either the market will sustain that price, or over time it will correct.

jbox
  • Options
    Just want to point out that unless I missed it the OP never used the words "dishonest" or "deceptive" to describe this practice

No, but calling someone a "weasel who attempts to prey on a sucker," is not rather flattering, either..

• Options
    Sorry about the government rant. You wouldn't believe what goes on at a federal operation if you were there yourself.
    As for the original post .. I should have titled it RANT ... People can sell for whatever they want, but when you lie about
    what you have in it, you're lower than a used car salesman.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Please END THIS THREAD ALREADY
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭

<< <i>And how this relates to government workers is a mystery to me. While I am not one, I was employed for eight years in the Armed Forces, which technically made me a government worker. While there was some sitting around time playing cards on occasion, there were also perks like time away from family, getting shot at, 18 hour work days, etc. Perhaps this seller owns a baseball card shop, and his livelihood depends on surfing the net looking for good deals. Perhaps he is retired, and has the time to surf the net. Maybe he works graveyard shift and has the time during the day to do what he wants. Who knows? Your name is "lifeshouldbefun". Follow that advice. Relax. It is just cards. >>

+1 from a fellow veteran
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    This is America and everyone is allowed to try and make a buck. I am pretty sure that ther are svavy folks on eBay that have created a program to list an BIN auction higher than an existing auction with BIN and somehow if the higher auction gets purchased, can automatically buy the lower priced BIN and have it sent to the winner of the higher auction. I have seen many BIN where the higher price has the same photo of the lower price BIN. So make sure you search profusely or you may be using a middleman.
  • Options
    Hard to believe someone would pay 200 for worthless garbage.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if you call 4sharpcorners they will hold all there 10s for there best customers like BBxexchange does for the select few.
    Damn these open markets! Didnt they know that all cards have 1 specific price for each!!
    Sad day for ebay! Sad!