Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have a few medieval coins I am trying to find info on...

I have just saved these two coins, along with other older silver coins, from the smelter. I know I have asked this before, but is there a guide written in English that can help me identify medieval coins? I am lost in this area.image

Here they are.

Comments

• Options
    #2 Conrad the Pacific(925-993)
    Link
    Link
    LInk
  • Options
    #1 Clermont Bishops
    VRBS ARVERNA
    SEA MARIA
    Link
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, DCH!
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    A) Good job saving them!
    B) It's a shame to hear such coins could get melted after 1,000 or so years...
  • Options
    I hear you. There are lots of silver coins that dealers are scrapping. It truly is a shame, but what can one do.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's even more of a shame that I can't find these dealers who are willing to melt $200 coins for the $0.50 worth of silver they contain. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    That's a good point CIVITAS , I look at the old hammered's i've paid 200 and upwards of and the silver content is miniscule to the point of actually being Billion. Even the lowliest old hammereds bring many more times silver content which is never high to begin with,strange thing to do is melt them.
  • Options
    Agreed, but you better start stopping by the cash for gold places before they run out of sellers, because they have NO clue about collectible coins. I also picked up some rarer modern gold for spot prices. I think that you would be surprised what comes through the doors of these places. All they are focused on is the silver and gold content even if most of the time they do not know what the actual purity content, much less the numismatic values of the coins that they buy. -Dan