Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern Poppage w/ Scans (Warning: Lots of High Res Pics - 100+ cards)

I got these submissions back a few weeks ago, but just now found the time to scan and show them off. I am a modern collector solely for one reason: I am a fan of the players competing after 1985 through today...this the era of my youth + I still enjoy modern sports. I was not around to see Mickey Mantle or Jim Brown play, so I don't often collect much anything older than 1978. However, there is a sprinkle to pre-1978 in the subs.

On a regular basis, I nearly submit all of my cards to PSA. However, I detest PSA's oversized holder for modern memorabilia and "thicker" cards (ugly, bulky, etc.). So when I get enough of these thicker cards things, I normally do subwith BGS (their holder is superior for these type of cards IMO). Anyway, below is a visual review of the grades from 2 x mass subs to PSA and BGS back in Jan 2012. I only scanned the back of specific cards to display their serialization found on the reverse side. Overall, the grades were what I expected. A few of the PSA cards (McCoy & Flacco autos and the Reggie Bush RC) were a disappointment. I figured these would all grade 9-10s, but I must have missed something. The BGS grades were fine for the major cards (relic/auto cards for HOFers and such), but disappointing for several others. For example, the Michael Huff card I was convinced would be a 9.5. However, the white border on the bottom must have played tricks upon my eyes for the corners. I normally find issues w/ surface grading dragging down overall grades when submitted cards to BGS (see the Nolan Ryan relic....3 x 9.5s and then a nasty ding for surface). I did not see with my eyes any centering issues for the Rivera relic, but oh well. I would submit everything to PSA if they simply found a new holder.

Favorite Cards from the PSA Sub:
-Both Eckersley auto insert 10s (my fav MLB player from the 1980s and 1990s).
-Both Aaron Rodgers RC 10s (my fav NFL team and player)
-Shaq Auto 10 (just a cool card)
-Kobe 1996-97 Bowman's Best RC 10 (sick)

Favorate Cards from the BGS Sub:
-MJ N-Tense Insert 9.5
-Suh auto 9.5 (local bad ass)
-Pat Tillman RC 9.5 (bought from an awesome board member in the fall - graded higher than expected - love this card - my total, hands down, fav from this sub)

Pics below...

Comments