Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buying Unopened Product is a Disease

We need research to find a cure. "just don't buy it doesn't work" most of my paycheck goes to wax cases and i barely paid my rent this month. If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.
70's and 80's baseball cards

Comments

• Options
    I blame 80scollector and Muggyman. We should burn them both at the stake.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    Evening,

Well from your sig line, the first thing you need to do is quit busting that stupid Baseball Crap, that's not even a Real Sport is it ? image

I've got a couple Boxes of 1983 Topps Howard The Duck I could sell ya cheap, bust a couple of those and you'll soon figure out...WTF?? Or how about some nice 1984 Fleer Dune, think I've got at least two cases around here somwhere !!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I blame 80scollector and Muggyman. We should burn them both at the stake. >>

I blame ebay, its going to put me out on the street.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Neil ... I need a few more cards to finish my 59 Indians set ... get on that already
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Evening,

Well from your sig line, the first thing you need to do is quit busting that stupid Baseball Crap, that's not even a Real Sport is it ? image

I've got a couple Boxes of 1983 Topps Howard The Duck I could sell ya cheap, bust a couple of those and you'll soon figure out...WTF?? Or how about some nice 1984 Fleer Dune, think I've got at least two cases around here somwhere !!! LMAO....I could buy really cheap junk wax but that doesn't give me a big enough high if you know what i mean.

YeeHahimage

Neilimage >>

• Options

<< <i>Neil ... I need a few more cards to finish my 59 Indians set ... get on that already >>

Sorry, Not Now, I'm taking my walk on my Flip side, doing the second Go through of a Box of 1985 Topps Football Black Bordered Beauties, pulled about 100 cards from the bust last night for a second looksie for subbing!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    GL with them ... I could also use a few more 56 Adventure cards in an 8 image
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    If you have a lot of good collateral I may know someone that can provide you some money to support your ripping habits. Maybe not the solution to stop, but a solution nonetheless, lol.
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a lot of good collateral I may know someone that can provide you some money to support your ripping habits. Maybe not the solution to stop, but a solution nonetheless, lol. >>

Ive already sold my 2002 Honda CR 250 to support this bad habit.
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a lot of good collateral I may know someone that can provide you some money to support your ripping habits. Maybe not the solution to stop, but a solution nonetheless, lol. >>

Basically he's saying for every $100 you have he'll give you $10... Good deal IMO!

Edit: for not being proper and starting out with... Evening,
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Do yourself a favor ... Max out the 17K limit in your 401K first, then you'll feel much better about pissing $$$ away on cards image
  • Options
    You obviously value buying this stuff more than you value anything else you could be doing with the money, so why do you want to stop?

If you didn't value it that highly, you wouldn't have bought it

If your values have changed, then just use your money on those things instead
  • Options

<< <i>You obviously value buying this stuff more than you value anything else you could be doing with the money, so why do you want to stop?

If your values have changed, then just use your money on those things instead >>

You don't get it, its a drug
  • Options

<< <i>You obviously value buying this stuff more than you value anything else you could be doing with the money, so why do you want to stop?

If your values have changed, then just use your money on those things instead >>

Does a crack addict really LIKE crack?

This hobby can be as addictive and destructive as a gambling or alcohol addiction, especially buying unopened - it's actually a form of gambling.
  • Options

<< <i>

Does a crack addict really LIKE crack?

This hobby can be as addictive and destructive as a gambling or alcohol addiction, especially buying unopened - it's actually a form of gambling. >>

+1
  • Options
    A crack user who refuses available detox and rehab treatments absolutely likes his rocks more than sobriety
  • Options

<< <i>A crack user who refuses available detox and rehab treatments absolutely likes his rocks more than sobriety >>

Do you speak from personal experience? If you do, then you can only speak for yourself, and you shouldn't presume to speak for all crack users. If you don't, then you're just blowing smoke out your a$$.
  • Options

<< <i>We need research to find a cure. "just don't buy it doesn't work" most of my paycheck goes to wax cases and i barely paid my rent this month. If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it. >>

Additive personalities is simple to identify it is changing that type of identity that challenges the buyer.
    Big Kahuna

• Options

<< <i>

You don't get it, its a drug >>

This is why I do not buy packs. It's a bad investment. You spend $25 for 1 pack, and get $2 worth of cards.

But to each their own.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Do you speak from personal experience? If you do, then you can only speak for yourself, and you shouldn't presume to speak for all crack users. If you don't, then you're just blowing smoke out your a$$. >>

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't speak from personal experience?

I am not speaking for crack users. I am favoring the idea that what a person does is far more meaningful than what they say

No matter what a person says about baseball cards or illegal drugs, our devotion to them them is always measured by the resources we spend on them, not what we tell ourselves or say on an internet chat room
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    so you have no money for rent...move back home and see what dad says when you have no money to give them....lol....and as far as diseases..alcoholism,als,cancer are diseases....i would not call your silly addiction a disease....
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I haven't received a pm yet. I've got a lot of unopened product cash with your name on it ready to go! Don't let these people deter your ripping habits.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    If you are having a hard time paying your rent, you need to find ways to stop before this habit overtakes you. If you are not careful, you can seriously get into serious debt and have a really poor quality of life just for pieces of cardboard. It's not worth it. I would try a few different things to break the habit. First destroy most of your credit cards. leaving just 1-2 for necessary life expenses. Then call your credit card companies of those, and ask to have your credit limit DECREASED. Lower it to some low, but reasonable amount for your regular expenses. That way, you won't have much room to charge to buying cards. For the money in your every day bank account, try to get rid of that as fast as possible for your required expenses. That way, you won't have much cash in your regular bank account to spend on cards either. For example, pay your rent early, and perhaps even pay 2-3 months of rent at one time. (Obviously, still keep enough to buy food and other necessary expenses.) Basically, the point is to lower the available discretionary spending you have for cards, which will help you not buy them.

There are other things you can try. For example, take all of your worthless cards and put it in a big pile and take a picture of it. Make that picture the background of your computer, so that you are also reminded of it every day, espeically when you feel like purchasing more. You can also put a picture of it in your wallet. You might also try burning that pile of junk and take a picture/video also, where you can remind yourself of it again. You can also visualize some worse case scenarios where you wish you had some cash, but you ended up burning it on worthless. For example, a loved one is seriously ill and could use some cash for medical bills, but you spent it on cards. Or that hot girl that you always wanted to date finally agreed to spend some time with you at your place. As you're chatting things up w/ her and things are going really well, your landlord pounds on your door and asks for rent money. All of this just for cardboard?

Finally, you could always get help for others if needed. There is this group called Debtors Anonymous, which you could look up on the web. It's part of the same network as Alcoholics Anonymous, and the meetings are free. There are people at those meetings who have run up serious debt on uncontrolled spending, and the group helps them with these issues. Good luck.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    What is buying unopened wax?

buying unopened wax is a disease...

as contagious as polio.

as contagious as polio.

as contagious as syphilis.

as contagious as syphilis.

as contagious as bubonic plague.

Sorry, this thread made me think of the movie The Natural!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>I am not speaking for crack users. I am favoring the idea that what a person does is far more meaningful than what they say

No matter what a person says about baseball cards or illegal drugs, our devotion to them them is always measured by the resources we spend on them, not what we tell ourselves or say on an internet chat room >>

Well thanks for clarifying, and I understand your point better now. My objection was with your use of the word "likes." People are compelled to behave in certain ways every day by forces they may not always be able to control. And just because they do something doesn't necessarily mean they like it. In a way, doing something that you don't really want to do because you can't help yourself is kind of the definition of addiction.