Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I Don't Have a PayPal Account- Told To Remove Bid

I bid on 7 items on eBay on Thursday that only had 14 or 16 hours remaining until closing. I Sent the seller a message by eBay and told him I didn't have a PayPal account but I felt sure we could work out some type payment arrangements, just check my feedback. My computer at home is dead and I only have access at work on the night shift. I came to work tonight and immediately checked to see how I had done. eBay said I had been outbid on 2 of them and the other 5 were not to be found. I had received a message back from the seller that said, "PayPal only, please remove your bids." Well the auctions were over and I didn't have the chance to remove the bids.

I won't out the seller but he had a set of 1953 proof British coins from the Coronation Crown down, all PCGS certified. I would have thought he would work me on this but no.

Before y'all start fussing at me I don't have a PayPal account and don't want one. By the way I always had the option of paying with PayPal as a non-member by using my debit card.

Some people?

Edited to add: I sent a reply and apologized for any inconvenience and told him I would never bother him again.

Ron
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell quite a bit on ebay. Its more of a inconvinience if the buyer doesn't have paypal now a days. I would have asked you to cancel your bids as well. Sorry.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind selling to buyer without paypal account as long as the the buyer pay me money order or bank order.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Strange, I would settle for cash in an enveloppe as a seller, or any other form of payment as well.
    PayPal takes 4% of payments made by buyers.
    dont feel guilty Ron, many buyers would leave him a neutral or even a negative Feedback.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Apology accepted; just be mindful, especially with international bidders, that paypal is the only way to go. I have been burnt on several occasions. IMHO, when an auction says Paypal, and nothing else, assume that is the only method available.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    one can set the auction preference to block bids on ebay from those without paypal accounts. I do that and it save the issues.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do remember a few years back when I could accept checks as peyment on items. Only hold up is that it took 3-5 days for the check to get to me a few days for it to clear then another 3-5 days for the item to get there. With the volume of sales I do now it would be a full time job just to keep everything straight.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>one can set the auction preference to block bids on ebay from those without paypal accounts. I do that and it save the issues. >>

Same here. I set up my preferences to prevent non- PayPal buyers from bidding. Most coins I sell have PayPal, eBay fees , and shipping baked into the BIN price.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I only had like 12 hours until the end of the auction. I didn't have time to notify the seller and ask if PayPal was my only means of paying. I did notify the seller and let him know what I was doing though. PayPal does allow non registered people to pay through PayPal using a credit card. I figured that was the way I would have to go. Again, not having a PayPal account is my choice and I have to live with it on occassion. But the coins I was bidding on come up seldom and I took a chance and bid on seven of them. I didn't even have a base for what the coins were worth. But the coins were so beautiful I had to take the chance.

Ron
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I only had like 12 hours until the end of the auction. I didn't have time to notify the seller and ask if PayPal was my only means of paying. I did notify the seller and let him know what I was doing though. PayPal does allow non registered people to pay through PayPal using a credit card. I figured that was the way I would have to go. Again, not having a PayPal account is my choice and I have to live with it on occassion. But the coins I was bidding on come up seldom and I took a chance and bid on seven of them. I didn't even have a base for what the coins were worth. But the coins were so beautiful I had to take the chance.

Ron >>

In your situation, the seller could have done quite a few different things to prevent you from bidding, which he did not. If I was the seller, I would realize my mistake and still let you participate in the auction.
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Seller should have worked with you. No need for you to apologize. He would have saved on PayPal fees by accepting a check/money order and probably gotten a higher price on his coins by having you (an additional bidder) in the auctions. It's his loss; unfortunately it also means you lost out on the coins.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is entirely the sellers choice to accept PP as only way of payment.
    Paypal does provide shipping insurance, basically at no charge, if all guidelines are followed.
    The seller has no obligation to accept your bid and he probably cancelled them.
    After all, he does not know if you are an honest person or not.
    Unless I know the buyer, I will not sell to anyone who does not have a CONFIRMED paypal address abd at least 50 positive feedbacks with NO negative in 12 months.
    Put yourself in the sellers shoes.....
    what would you do?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    I also don't have Pay-Pal. Before placing a bid I contact the seller first to see if they accept other forms of payments, they usually do. I guess it would have to do with the value of the item. Most of the items I bid on are under $20. If I see an auction that states "PAY-PAL ONLY' I pass it by. It would be foolish to ask when it says "PAY-PAL ONLY'.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a different approach, but then again, my number of ebay sales is very small. Paypal remains my number one method of payment, but I will gladly accept money orders too. I tend to discourage cash, even if it's the buyer's responsibility, because a lot of things can happen in between. I have recently set up a list of excluded countries, but I will make an exception and ship an item registered to some of these countries, provided that the payment is made by Western Union, in order to avoid the common "non received item" scam. Registered shipment can be tracked and traced online, and if it's not compatible with the buyer's Post Office to track it until its destination, I can at least prove that the item was sent promptly and left the country, and therefore theoretically, I cannot be held responsible after that, in a non paypal claim.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    A seller, as long they are within eBay's rules, has the right to accept or refuse whatever payment types they want. The seller sets the list of acceptable payment types, not the buyer.

You can't walk into a store and insist they accept wampum, goats, cheese, or any other type of barter for payment. Now if the store owner voluntarily states "and I also accept mule testicles in payment", that is entirely their prerogative.

Buyers don't dictate exchange media, sellers do.

Knowing full well that eBay is a PayPal-centric venue, I'm surprised that you would bid on anything without clearing the alternate payment method with the seller first.

I personally accept money orders, personal checks (held to clear) and other methods, even though by eBay rules I may not publicly disclose that in my listings.

That said, in today's eBay world, I would actually be taken somewhat by surprise if someone wanted to pay via something other than PayPal for a large-ticket purchase.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude....

• flykiteflykite Posts: 147
    Gang: here is my last take on this....I have been a ebayer for 14 years, and I NEVER wanted any part of paypal. I learned the hard way, as both buyer and seller, that taking check or money order SLOWS down the process considerably, as coin folks want their coins NOW!

Paypal has, since I have started selling "darkside" coins, led to a TENFOLD increase in bids, and tripled my prices realized. I have also doubled my own bidding on coins, as the convenience, security, and quick turnaround have more than made up for fees paid. My "hobby" has now blossumed into a part-time business, and I never thought that would happen. Paying by any other means is obsolete, in the age of e-commerce.....Ed
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I quite like the service that Paypal provides, and the fee is fairly reasonable. It is the EBay fees, the FVFs in particular, that are the killer.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    My last take also. Due to the time remaining I didn't have the time to notify the seller and ask about alternate forms of payment. Had I had the time I would have done so. I did send the seller a message and explain the situation and told him that if I won I am sure we could work something out. I was not trying to pressure him into anything. I also knew that as a last resort I could pay using PayPal as a non registered buyer. I don't hold anything against the seller, Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, I just took a chance.

I realize I was the one stepping outside the bounds. But it is also my understanding that ebay doesn't allow sellers to state they accept other forms of payment that you must contact them and ask. But by the time I contacted the seller the auction would have been over.

I always contact a seller unless I find, when going to their store that they accept other forms of payment. At my age I just don't want a PayPal account to keep up with. The account might outlive me.

Ron
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seller should have worked with you. No need for you to apologize. He would have saved on PayPal fees by accepting a check/money order and probably gotten a higher price on his coins by having you (an additional bidder) in the auctions. It's his loss; unfortunately it also means you lost out on the coins. >>

imageimage
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.