Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Are trimmed cards good for autographs? Is 'in the presence' grading worthwhile?

From the title, you can see I'm a novice on the autograph side of things. It turns out that Reggie Jackson, Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson and even PSA reps will be in the Twin Cities this weekend. I have a trimmed Reggie rookie that I bought on eBay many years ago and did not want to put back in the market. I thought it might make sense to have it autographed (I think it's $79) and then graded by PSA. They offer some sort of 'in the presence' grading service. I'm not looking to necessarily make big bucks on this. I'll probably just hang on to it for now. But does it make sense to use the trimmed card or do collectors not like this? Thanks for the input. - Kevin

Comments

• I dont see why not.....unless you send it to PSA to get the card and auto graded.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    In the presence is not grading. Its authentication of autograph quickly since they saw it signed. It will get stickered.

But, there is nothing wrong with a trimmed RC. It just would have to get slabbed in blue label, not red.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>card and auto graded. >>

Not possible with PSA.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're doing this for your own collection, then it's fine....If there is a profit motive involved, I wouldn't bother (with a trimmed rookie, I just don't think you could recoup your expenses).

Good Luck either way

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    You could red flip it with the authentic label....

• << <i>You could red flip it with the authentic label.... >>

Agree, I would red flip.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand, you cant red flip it because it wont pass being unaltered. I think the only option for a trimmed card is a blue flip.
  • "In the presence" is a joke. Most promoters have the signing tables scattered all over the place when they set up a card show. Even when the signatures are all being done in one place, the PSA table is often tens or even a hundred feet away on the other side of a big room. Most "signed in the presence" authenticated items were never actually witnessed by a PSA employee, even though technically, it was done in the same room. That's like saying you met the president because you attended a basketball game that he also attended, even though you never came with 300 feet of him. Remember the JSA Sal Bando fiasco from a few years ago? Nothing has changed.

• << <i>As far as I understand, you cant red flip it because it wont pass being unaltered. I think the only option for a trimmed card is a blue flip. >>

They make exceptions for authentic altered items. They'll never give it a number grade, but it can pass in a red flip as long as both the card and signature are deemed authentic.
  • Why not $79 isn't a bad price and you already got the card. Go for it. How often do you get a chance to see Reggie Jackson and get his rookie signed right in front of you.
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Thank you guys. Very helpful. Great info to have. I've got a busy day tomorrow, so it's more my schedule that may mess things up but as cardsnbeads says why not give it a try. Thanks again. - Kevin
  • if you want to max the profit, get the card auto'ed and then blue flip it... it should pull a 10 auto grade - there are blue flip rookie card collectors that pay good money for the 10 grade!