Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you won the lottery, would you buy a Honus Wagner?

I don't think I'd buy any cards with it! I'd get my own jet and sports team!

Comments

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I actually was thinking about this earlier today, if I won the MegaMillions (yeah, right!), what I would buy. I would get a 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth, a Ruth jersey and a bat (and not the shards, the entire thing). And probably be a signed ball, too.
  • Options
    Mat84Mat84 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    If I took the whole Mega Mil jackpot I would seriously consider trying to own one. If I only won a 6 million dollar split I might have to settle for a Plank. In the last 30 years has anyone lost money on these uber expensive cards? It seems like a safe investment.
  • Options
    yes
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    I would, nice hard asset to own. Don't think they are going down in value anytime soon.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    It would be tempting, but I think I'd pass on the Wagner and get some nice gold coins instead.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    no, i would by all the mo vaughn's i can find
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.

• Options
    Every one that came up for sale/auction. EVERY SINGLE ONE
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    If you won the lottery, would you buy a Honus Wagner?

Nope

I already have one
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    yes
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    yes...and every unopened pack or box from 1985 or older that went up for sale.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. No matter how much money I had, I could not bring myself to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a baseball card.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No. No matter how much money I had, I could not bring myself to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a baseball card. >>

Exactly what I was thinking.

I won't be happy if RookieWax wins though. I might as well close my eBay account then. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I think I would pass on the Wagner. Spread out the money out on a few dozen items rather than one single card. High grade '52 Topps Mantle, I would have a mural painted of the '53 Bowman Pee Wee Reese color (one of my favorite cards of all time) on a wall in my new man cave. Somehwere in storage is the old Chief Wahoo that hung on the side of the old stadium. I think this would make a nice lawn decoration all lit up with new neon lighting. Yeah thats a start.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Think I'd find better ways to spend the money. Cards would not be the first things on my mind.

Justin
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    only if i can upgrade from my psa 2 wagner!!!
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I would buy the psa 8 and review it to try and get a 8.5
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    $10 towards Mega Million tickets. If I win I am taking the lump sum payout, buying a 3rd world country, then pretending I am the US government and I will see what it is like to destroy a country from within.
  • Options
    nope,,, i would consider upgrading to a double wide though,, lol
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    If I won the lottery I would do my best to get a cure for cancer. I really wouldn't take more than I need to live "comfortably", the rest would go to charities of sorts. I'd probably put some $ to the side to help out aspiring small business owners and some patent ideas as well.
  • Options
    If I won the 540 million I would also buy a 1952 Mantle in addition to a Wagner.
  • Options
    Yep, you betcha!
  • Options
    No, i'd buy two
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First pay off the house and bank enough to retire.

Yes, also the 51 Bowman Mantle and 53 Bowman color Musial, Aaron rookie, Babe Ruth card (not sure which one) and rookies of all the 500 Home Run "club".

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    It's not a matter of if it's a matter of how many wagners I'd buy. lol.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options

<< <i>If I won the lottery I would do my best to get a cure for cancer. I really wouldn't take more than I need to live "comfortably", the rest would go to charities of sorts. I'd probably put some $ to the side to help out aspiring small business owners and some patent ideas as well. >>

Best answer in this thread! image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy the Wagner because I have zero interest in it. But, I would go bananas buying cards from 1948-56.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    No interest in Wagner.

I'd start doing drugs.....the registry drugs.

Mike Schmidt, Bernie Parent, Reggie Jackson, Terry Sawchuk, Wayne Gretzky, and about a half dozen sets.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Buy a 1952 Topps Set all graded 8
    1933 and 1934 Goudey set best I can get.
    Buy a Big house in Arizona or New Mexico.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you tomorrow.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    NO
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy a wagner, but would probably try to complete every set Topps and Bowman set ever made in high grades. Then take a lot of vacations.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>no way. we already have one. and ours is an "unreleased version."

- John Cobb and Ray Edwards

image >>

What is this?
  • Options
    No!
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I can see buying it for investment purposes if there is a reasonable prospect that the card will appreciate in value, but I wouldn't get any particular satisfaction from owning a card which would also require a significant inventment to ensure its safety and security. When I was a kid, I remember being fascinated by a card valued at $1,500, and while I find the history of the card fascinating, the notion today of simply owning a card with little more attachment to it than a basic understanding that it is a difficult card to acquire, or is worth a lot of money, just doesn't provide me with any particular collecting satisfaction.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'd buy my own printing press and flood the market with high quality counterfeit '82 All Star Wrestling cards
  • Options
    Morning,

No, I might name my Yaht Honus Wagner but that's as close as I'd ever need to be to some worthless overpriced Baseball Card !! Actually no I wouldn't be naming my Yaht that, it would be "URNVSofalltheNakedChicks"

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    If I won I would buy a Ruth Autographed Ball and a Gehrig Autographed Ball first. To me that is my dream items. The Honus Wagner card is the most overrated card of all-time outside of 1952 Topps Mantle. I would rather feed starving children instead of dropping that kind of money on a card. I never like the Pirates. I would start a group of investors to buy the Buffalo Bills and keep them in Western New York after Ralph Wilson dies.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I would buy, oh nevermind, one of my crazy 13u baseball players moms found one of my posts on CU when she was trying to check out my background, she is probably still watching image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>no way. we already have one. and ours is an "unreleased version."

- John Cobb and Ray Edwards

image >>

What is this? >>

LOL, you're not familiar with their story? These guys are a couple scammers that have a "Wagner" that they claim is legit but they won't allow any reputable company to grade. They've tried to auction it and they cry racism at anybody that says it's fake. Got a lot of play in the book "The Card", which is a history of the Wagner T-206.

Tabe
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a Wagner. But I WOULD probably buy the highest grade T-3 Ty Cobb I could find.

Other than that, not sure how many cards I'd buy. Maybe finish a few sets I've been working on but that's about it.

My money would go into a house (w/movie theater, arcade, and indoor pool), college money for the nieces and nephews, a couple cars, some nice vacations, and a bunch of jerseys (not game-worns) for me to wear.

Tabe
  • Options
    What are they holding in the middle picture. Are these the guys from that new show on tv? The card looks like someone bought a reprint and soaked it in coffee overnight. What grading company is that?
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would finally be able to complete my Mario Mendoza registery
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    I didn't win but I'd still like to buy the Wagner up for auction!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If I won, I surely wouldnt announce it on any message board. Id also keep my purchases quite. Maybe share small things here and there. But yeah, if I won a huge lottery, I would look to buy a Wagner.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would finally be able to complete my Mario Mendoza registery >>

If I won the lottery, and had a dog that looked like yours, I'd search high and low for a canine orthodontist and pay that man some moolah to do his thang.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only card I would really like to buy if I won the lottery would be a 1975 topps George Brett PSA 10.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.