Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The end is near...

For the Canadian penny

Even though I collect them and even have a couple of the modern varieties, I'd say it's about time.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read the news myself.

New Canadian Federal Budget doing away with the penny.

Old age security benefit (about $6000 a year) gets pushed back two years from 65 to 67.

All us 'baby boomers' better get used to this.

By the time I'm that age to collect Old Age benefits, I'm positive the age will have been pushed back to about 72.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now all the Canadians will ship them to the USA like their old cash that gets deposited to banks here - so I can buy up the old stuff image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I think it's high time the US did the same thing. The Brits got rid of the halfpenny (worth about one US cent historically) decades ago.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Copied from my post over on the "Liteside":

WOW!! That's MAJOR news about the Canadian cent!! They were the first non-US denomination I collected as a kid, and now the series comes to an end - - the first true end of a denomination in my lifetime. Mixed emotions there......

However, there is ONE benefit of no longer minting cents that nobody has mentioned......... my Whitman folder was quickly filling up with all the latest issues, and I was anticipating having to buy yet another folder for the series for each of my & my kids' collections.

This announcement has already "rounded-down" my collecting costs by close to $20!!!

Now I just need to make sure I fill all outstanding holes before they disappear!! Anyone have any tradeable extras of the following dates/mintmarks?:

2006 (1)
    2006-P (4)

2006-RCM (steel=2 & zinc=3)
    2007-RCM (steel=3 & zinc=4)
    2008-RCM (steel=1)
    2009-RCM (steel=4 & zinc=4)
    2010-RCM (steel=4 & zinc=4)
    2011-RCM (steel=4 & zinc=4)
    2012-RCM (steel=4 & zinc=4)

(steel="magnetic" & zinc="non-magnetic" versions of 2006 RCM thru 2012 RCM, with exception of '08)

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    <<(are there both "magnetic" & "non-magnetic" versions of 2007 thru 2012?)>>

Haxby's latest catalogue lists both zinc and steel for 2007 and 2009 with mintages.
    2008 is steel only
    2010 thru 2011 show both zinc and steel with no mintages. I am not convinced both exist.

He also shows 2004 thru 2009 with proof bronze.,

• Options
    Thanks!

I just checked & answered my own follow-up question... all '06-'12 zinc vs steel varieties would have the RCM logo & only be distinguishable by whether magnetic or not.........

So now I know what I have to go after........

Thx!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like this at all. A sad day in history, and I can't imagine this would be good for people who are just barely getting by- rounding everything up could quite nearly literally nickel and dime them to death.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Wouldn't that be "PENNY, nickel, & dime them to death"?!imageimage

- - Daveimage