Home Sports Talk
Options

Phillies in 2012

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
According to Nate Silver, “the steepest part of the aging curve—when a hitter experiences the most manifest decline in his abilities—tends to come between ages 32 and 34.” It can be devastating enough to an offense when two or three hitters enter this period of accelerated decline at the same time. The Phillies are entering it as a team.

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It doesn't help that their #3 and #4 hitters are both injured.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    It hurts, but injuries come with age. It does not help that the Phils gave Howard a ridiculous contract. OTOH, maybe that have so much money that they will not be harmed by eating the contract.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies fans should be very happy that they did win a World Series recently, it would have been a complete failure had they not with the talent they had in place before they got "Old"
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I wouldn't write the Phillies off just yet. They have one thing that most of the other teams do not: A GREAT pitching staff. Probably the best staff in baseball. This makes up for a lot of hitting woes. I'm curious to see how Juan Pierre will fit into this lineup. He never walks. But he also rarely strikes out. He still has a lot of speed (although sometimes I question his basestealing decisions).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    With Hammels (28), Halladay (34), and Lee (33), the Phillies are still scary, even though they're getting old too.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Its actually in vogue to be a really old SP these days. To stay in fashion, the Braves signed Livan Hernandez over the weekend.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Braves should be worrying about how to beat the Mets first, and then worry about the Phillies.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Braves should be worrying about how to beat the Mets first, and then worry about the Phillies. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.