Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ebay selling has its ups and downs

So that I'm not breaking any forum rules, I'll tell this as a neutral story!

Once upon a time a seller sold a coin on ebay to an almost no feedback buyer (who has recently gone on a darkside buying spree). Seller shipped it to the confirmed address with a tracking number. Item delivered and the buyer left positive feedback on March 26. Three days after feedback was received (today), Paypal lets the seller know that there has been a credit card chargeback on this transaction. "Unauthorized card use" is what the buyer claimed.

At least the seller didn't get dinged on their wonderful feedback rating. I mostly like Ebay, but sometimes it helps to take proactive steps *hint hint* in order to protect oneself from the unscrupulous.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That absolutely sucks.

I am going to play dumb and ask what happens now? Transaction is complete, feedback is locked in place, and delivery is confirmed. Who wins and who loses?

Expand on the <<hypothetical>> steps that could of been taken to offer more protection to seller against people gaming the system. I ask because I have been out of the eBay selling circle for a whole now and I should probably clean out the closets a bit to get rid of some loose items I have.

• Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to know what happens.

The last time I sold on Ebay, the buyer changed his mind after he dipped my coin and Ebay's "Buyer Protection" decided in his favor even though I stated in my auction "NO RETURNS".
    Ebay told the buyer to return the ruined coin to me and Paypal TOOK the money out of my account automatically without my consent.

I will never sell on Ebay again.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something doesn't sound right - he has had excellent 6 deals already - same amount - why would he burn you for that amount now?

It must be an honest error - I'd hold my breath and hope he contacts you - pretty low feedback I don't blame you for being leery.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted the buyer yet? This still could be a mistake.

Just in case, I've blocked the buyer from bidding on my auctions.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    In my thirteenth year as an ebayer, I've only recently had to refund a buyer (for the first time) ,who claimed that the item never got there. I was stupid not to insist on registered shipment, especially for an item won by a bidder in Taiwan, and I have a hunch that the item arrived safe and sound. Eitherway, I took the hit and moved on: I refunded him before he even opened a claim, adding that it would be very gentlemanly to re-refund me if and when my item shows up....
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I too am hoping it was just an honest mistake. Luckily the item was valuable enough to warrant being sent with a tracking number so I *should* be covered by Paypal protection.

So far Paypal emailed me saying this charge back has been initiated. I opened the dispute centre and gave them the relevant info on the transaction (tracking #) and that's it for now. I know sometimes it takes me a minute or two to decipher my credit card statement when I see some oddly named items, but the paypal ones are usually pretty evident. Perhaps the buyer will look again and see that they started this charge back in error once they see the tracking number and item details.

I sent the buyer a friendly note asking him about this claim.

I am just hoping it wasn't a stolen credit card or some other crap... If that is the case I am surely SOL. Credit card protection pretty much absolves the card owner from any loss, and the credit card company surely won't take the hit.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Good news! Got a message back from the buyer. He says there has been a mix up with his credit card company and he is working to get it resolved.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got taken for a meaningful amount from a buyer claiming package got to him yet item was taken out of it. Tracking and insurance. He claimed to have opened a damage report and said that ebay will support him as insurance claims are my problem. He did not provide any documentation stating damage etc. He hounded me for days and at some point I preferred refunding rather than dealing with him. I filed an insurance claim and have not heard anything back a month later. USPS Insurance is very difficult to claim as an aside.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news! Got a message back from the buyer. He says there has been a mix up with his credit card company and he is working to get it resolved. >>

I'll congratulate you when the money is back in your account, but sounds optimistic.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news! Got a message back from the buyer. He says there has been a mix up with his credit card company and he is working to get it resolved. >>

Great to hear that, hope you will get your money back.
  • Options

I've received similar notices from PayPal before. I remember an instance almost exactly like yours.

In an e-mail, PayPal asked me not to ship the item for that same reason but the coin had already been delivered by the time I got the notice. Good feedback exchanged and I thought that was end of it until I got the notice. When I asked the buyer about it he gave me the same story as yous did.

I am very diligent to follow all the prerequisite "hoop jumping' that PayPal asks of the seller, proof of delivery, confirmed address and all that. In this case I never heard anything back from PayPal and no money was ever held or removed. As it should be since they were the ones that said "okay to ship" on the details page!

PayPal was nicer place before Ebay purchased the company.image

The customer service is pretty good on whole but when it comes to disputes, it can be like talking to wall. They won't allow you talk to anyone that has the power to review a case.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    PayPal was nicer place before Ebay purchased the company.

True as far as ebay sellers are concerned. However, paypal has grown so big, so fast, that its profits are now 4-5 times those of ebay with predictions for much more growth! It won't be long before practically all online merchants accept paypal payments, besides credit cards only. I personally find using paypal outside ebay, extremely convenient, especially when I still have funds that I haven't yet transferred to my account. It is very safe, very fast and it has become my favorite personal payments method, ever since gift and other such innovations have been introduced.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Took them long enough but finally..

Hello xxxx,

As you know, we were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a
    chargeback with their card issuer. One of the unique benefits of using
    PayPal is that we help you fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to
    recover your funds.

Usually the funds associated with a chargeback are temporarily held until
    the card issuer makes its decision.

Because you followed the guidelines of the seller protection policy,
    though, PayPal will cover the amount of the chargeback.