Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hypothesis test time

What was pictured in the listing is on the left, what I received is on the right:

imageimage

I took the "as-received" picture through its holder - I didn't want to remove the coin.

Null hypothesis: the coins are identical
Alternative hypothesis: the coins are different.
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the eyebrow and hair detail, as well as scratches, as well as the ear lobe - it doesn't appear to be the same coin.
  • Maybe its just me, but I see a light line running down Ed's face, most visible below the ear, to the left of the curve in his neck where it meets the chin.

I'd say it was a bad photo with lighting that obscured the defects.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rim ding near S in EDWARDVS is missing in the second photo.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Rim ding is different at 9:30. I do not think they are the same coin.
  • NM, you're right. Plus another rim ding at 10:30
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rim dings are the giveaway to me as well. I also could not track even the shadows of other lines, etc.
    NOT the same coin, hopefully an "honest" mistake and situation to be set right!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rim dings not the same.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully just an honest mistake and not deliberate bait-and-switch, but Jeez...
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Not the same coin.
    Becky
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Not the same coin. Wear, marks, nicks, there are so many differences if you pay close attention. Great image through the flip BTW!

Hopefully just an honest mistake and not deliberate bait-and-switch, but Jeez..

I cannot agree with Dan, it doesn't look like an honest mistake to me, but it's just my opinion.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    The verdict: it was an honest mistake - there were two pieces and the wrong one was pulled out of the box. I had this happen to me a few years back as well. The seller plans to make it right.

I had no doubt that the coins were different, and the one I received appears to be vastly inferior to the one pictured in the ebay listing, but it's always fun to post stuff like this...
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can respond now that I know what the answer is...image

Seriously- different coin. I had a different coin sent to me once except it was really different- different denomination, different metal

Mistakes are made

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.