Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Athabasca Disctrict Chamber of Commerce dollar - 24k gold? -Xpost from PM

Crosspost from the Precious Metals forum, so let's do all the discussion over there in that thread

Anyone ever come across these? The nickel ones are quite common. Came across a couple of the silver ones, but I haven't been able to confirm a gold one. A friend of mine has one he believes to be gold, as well as a silver one. Neither coin/medal is marked, but he has the original boxes that say 24k gold and .999 silver respectively, as well as the original receipts from 1978. The original price on the gold one was $320.

Silver Athabasca dollar on Ebay seller claimed only 300 of the silver ones were minted. Sale price was $80.

If only 300 of the silver version were made, it's certainly possible that the gold one has a minuscule mintage. Even so, I can't imagine they'd bring much of a premium unless one found the perfect collector who really needed it. Given that it doesn't have the weight or fineness marked on the coin and there's no info out there on it, probably even a negative premium?

His pics of the likely gold coin:

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections