Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Gold by the Century recommendations

Hi all,
I'm looking to build a collection that possibly others have built before. I'd like a gold coin from each century from the first Lydian gold to today's modern bullion. I'd want to keep them in a price range of less than $5,000 per coin, although there can be exceptions for particularly important examples.

Let me know if you have any opinions on this or if anyone else has made a set like this in the past.

Thanks for the help!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea. It seems like there was a thread just recently on the same effort (non gold).

I would think it would be worth a few hours in Clark Smith's website to build a XLS of centuries and list the possible coins on his website that might be available in each century. It might highlight some holes that you could investigate elsewhere.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of good choices from the 20th century, but the big Swiss gold 100 francs dated 1925 is really neat. I believe it's a 1-year type in that size. Also check out the big Czechoslovakian 10 dukat coins from the 1920s and 30s. Finally, there may be some art deco pattern French gold pieces that would interest you, from the same time period.

Edited to add an example of the Czechoslovakian 10 dukat.

And a pattern gold French coin and another example of a different French gold pattern.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help! I'm still working on researching this myself as well. It doesn't seem terribly difficult to just find one from each century, but finding ones which "matter" is definitely going to be a harder task.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    You realize that you are now obligated to share your progress, right? image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some series in the 19th century large gold pieces that are in that price range.

You can go with Mexico / Spain:

Hand on book 8 Escudos:

Portrait 8 Escudos of either Ferdinand VII (1808-1821) or Carlos IV (1789-1808):

French made some nice 19th Century gold pieces, as well:

Or Great Britain:
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going earlier, 17th century I would recommend a Scottish Sword and Sceptre piece, 16th century a French Ecu. 15th century a Venetian ducat and 14th century an English noble. Of those I own the noble, but I am particularly picky and wanted a heavy unclipped one and they do go more than $5K as such.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Going earlier, 17th century I would recommend a Scottish Sword and Sceptre piece, 16th century a French Ecu. 15th century a Venetian ducat and 14th century an English noble. Of those I own the noble, but I am particularly picky and wanted a heavy unclipped one and they do go more than $5K as such. >>

Thanks! I also have a 1422-27 Henry VI Noble which I'll definitely be including in the final list here. The $5K limit may end up not happening with some of these. I'm going to be spending the next day compiling my research so far and will share my progress after. In the meantime, I appreciate the help from everyone!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if the 5K limit isn't happening you should pick this one up for your 19th Century type: image

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then there's way way back:

Ancient Greece:

Alexander the Great - Stater - Babylon
    Helmeted head of Athena facing right with griffin or serpent on helmet
    Nike standing left, holding wreath, MI on left, monogram in wreath below right wing
    BASILEOS ALEXANDPOY (King Alexander)
    Struck: BC 311-305 (about)
    Mint: Babylon
    Size: 20mm
    Weight: 8.56gm
    Catalog: Price 3749

Ancient Rome:

Antoninus Pius - Aureus - Standing with globe
    Laureate head right
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II
    Antoninus wearing toga, standing left, holding globe in right hand
    TR POT XIX COS IIII
    Struck: AD 155-156, Rome
    Size: 19.5mm
    Weight: 7.26gm
    Catalog: RIC 256a

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Here's the results of my first attempt. I expect that this list will change many times for me. I've rounded the prices of these - many are currently for sale, some I've purchased myself, and some were sold recently at auction websites.

I stayed under $5K for most of these, which leaves room for moving up as I do more research and find out about more of them. I'd definitely prefer larger gold wherever possible so if anyone knows of any larger examples for these areas that I missed, I'd appreciate it!

Also, a disclaimer: IANAH (I Am Not a Historian) and this has primarily been found by me Googling around in the couple days in my free time.

650-561BC Lydia Archaic 1/3rd Stater Electrum - 3000
    550-500BC Ionia 1/12th Stater Hemihecte - 1000
    450BC - Persia Gold Daric - 3500
    336-323BC Alexander The Great Stater - 4500
    297-281BC Lysimachus Gold Stater - 3500
    120-63BC - Pontic Kingdom Time of Mithradates VI - 1500
    44-42BC Greek Thrace Koson Kings - 2000
    14-37 Roman Tiberius Aureus Lugdunum - 3000
    161-180 Marcus Aurelius - 5500
    276-282 Probus Aureus Ticinum - 4500
    365-367 Solidus of Valens I - 1000
    457-474 LEO I Gold Solidus - 2000
    582-602 Mauriscus Tiberius Solidus - 500
    685-596 Justinan II Gold Solidus - 4000
    706-715 Umayyad Al Walkid I Dinar - 500
    829-842 Theophilus - 1500
    998-1030 Mahmud Ghaznavid Dinar - 500
    1059-1067 Constantine X Gold Histamenon Nomisma - 500
    1183-1185 Andronicus I Comnenus hyperpyron - 1500
    1221-1254 Hyperpyron of John III Vatatzes - 1000
    1382-1400 Venice Ducat - 500
    1422-7 Henry VI Noble - 3000
    1516-1656 - Charles & Joanna of Spain Gold Cob Escudo - 1000
    16xx - Scottish Sword and Sceptre - 3000
    17xx 8 Escudo Spain - 2000
    18xx Mexican 8 Escudo - 2000
    19xx British Sovereign - 1000
    2009 UHR $20 - 3000
  • Options
    I think my wife would rather I had a secret family than for me to spend $60,000.00 on 30 coins, and I can't blame her.

It'd be like paying for 6,000 lap dances with a handful of different strippers.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    These are really big (4 x 2 inch) gold coins:

history of the japanese koban

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Well within your rangeimage

imageimage

As is this NGC MS 63 example of a 1380-1422 Charles V, ECU"OR

imageimage
  • Options
    Wow! I love the French pieces and Koban! I have a feeling this collection may end up having century duplicates, or one every 50 years image

Also, it may be over the limit but still reasonably priced in my eyes: I'll definitely be including an Octadrachm, probably of Ptolemy III for the 200BC range. It's hard to beat 28mm and nearly an ounce of ancient gold.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like gold with religious themes.

This one is very rare.....struck to commemorate the 100th aniversary of the Augsburg Confessions.

The Augsburg Confession, also known as the "Augustana" from its Latin name, Confessio Augustana, is the primary confession of faith of the Lutheran Church and one of the most important documents of the Lutheran reformation. The Augsburg Confession was written in both German and Latin and was presented by a number of German rulers and free-cities at the Diet of Augsburg on June 25, 1530. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V had called on the Princes and Free Territories in Germany to explain their religious convictions in an attempt to restore religious and political unity in the Holy Roman Empire and rally support against the Turkish invasion. It is the fourth document contained in the Lutheran Book of Concord.

But it costs more than $5000.....image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.