Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"WWII Box O' Twenty"

I've decided to build a box of 20 from war period coinage. Here's the list, what'dya think? The only thing I'm undecided on is to keep the 1946 dime or switch it out with a 1941-1942 copper cent.

1. 1943 1c
2. 1943-D 1c
3. 1943-S 1c
4. 1942 5c (type 1)
5. 1942-P 5c
6. 1942-P 5c proof
7. 1942-S 5c
8. 1943-P 5c
9. 1943-D 5c
10. 1943-S 5c
11. 1944-P 5c
12. 1944-D 5c
13. 1944-S 5c
14. 1945-P 5c
15. 1945-D 5c
16. 1945-S 5c
17. 1941-1945 10c
18. 1946 10c
19. 1941-1945 25c
20. 1941-1945 50c
Looking for PQ MS67 war nickels... PM me!

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1946 does seem out of place to me.

There are a TON of varieties in that time period that you could replace the 1946 with. 1945-Micro S Dime, Large S, S/S, DDOs, etc etc....pick one and that can be your added spice to the box. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pull the nickel proof and put a nice 44 cent into the mix.

Fun challenge!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1944-1945 cents had a special metal composition

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1946 is past WWII- Why not a shell case composition cent from 1944 or 1945? a 1944 d/s cent would fit nicely in your set. JMO

Bob
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

US Mint Errors from the WWII era are much rarer than regular business strikes:

Geyer Collection of WWII Era U.S. Mint Errors, many of which are PCGS certified
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd definitely put in a 44 cent instead of the 46 dime, unless you really want FDR represented in the set.

You could also add the 1947-S Philippines MacArthur Peso and/or 50 centavos which are certainly WWII related.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lose the 46 dime and add either a Philippines somethingoranother or if you're feeling adventuresome one of the 1942 experimental pattern cents. You could also lose the 42-P proof 5c, as you're already burning 11 slots on nickels without it.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many nickels imo; I agree that you'd be better off losing the 46 dime and some of the nickels and put in some varieties to up the cool factor.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these would be nice! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    This suggestion is a bit off the wall, but IMO, no WWII collection is complete without one of these ...
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    Do not pull the proof war nickel! They are cool!
  • Options

MessyDesk: <<... add ... a Philippines somethingoranother ...>>

In the Geyer Collection, there are U.S. Mint Errors relating to Philippines coinage during the 1940s. Am I the only member of this forum who finds the errors that occurred during this era to be a little more interesting than the regular issues, which are quite common? Assembling a set of WWII era regular issue U.S. coins would not be much of a challenge for an advanced collector.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>MessyDesk: <<... add ... a Philippines somethingoranother ...>>

In the Geyer Collection, there are U.S. Mint Errors relating to Philippines coinage during the 1940s. Am I the only member of this forum who finds the errors that occurred during this era to be a little more interesting than the regular issues, which are quite common? Assembling a set of WWII era regular issue U.S. coins would not be much of a challenge for an advanced collector.

Geyer Collection of WWII Era U.S. Mint Errors, many of which are PCGS certified >>

Greg,

while an advanced collector might put that set together, I don't think it what the OP is trying to accomplish.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options

NickCap: <<... while an advanced collector might put that set together, I don't think it what the OP is trying to accomplish. >>

It was not my intention to criticize the collector who started this thread. Indeed, I apologize if I offended him or any of the other participants. It was I who revived a thread that had faded away long ago. The contrast between the commonality of the WWII era regular issues and the extreme rarity of the closely related U.S. Mint Errors is fascinating and educational, IMO. I learned a lot while researching my article on the Geyer Collection of WWII era U.S. Mint Errors. Besides, the popularity of 1943 copper cents and 1944 steel cents suggests that there might be thousands of collectors who are at least curious about WWII U.S. Mint Errors in general. Therefore, I felt that it was appropriate and educational to revive this thread and add an extra dimension to it.

In regards to the thesis of the OP, I am puzzled. WWII era regular issues are so common anyway, a collector who could afford such a 'box of twenty' probably could afford a complete set of all regular issues from 1942 to 1945.

While I agree with WestySteve in that <Proof War Nickels ... are cool>, most of the other coins are routine regular issues. Does it make sense to employ 'the box of twenty concept' in this context? Varieties and Mint Errors, however, amount to the addition of rare and/or unusual items that might not be readily available and/or might be extremely expensive. With consideration of particular varieties and Mint Errors, the 'box of twenty' concept makes more sense.

Also, when I was in college, I sold my Superb Gem Proof 1942 War Nickel to pay for a weekend away with my girlfriend at the time. While the decision then made sense, in hindsight, I miss that coin.

Many Exciting, Classic U.S. coins are not Expensive

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

illini420 beat me to it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Well, I guess the ultimate coin related WW2 item would be fused coins from Hiroshima.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file