Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Grade help on this early Soviet

Here's a raw 1922 RSFSR 50 kopek for your grading assistance -- I'm not overly concerned about detail, since everything is fairly sharp (although my camera remains a POS) -- I am more concerned about toning and the crustiness of the coin.

Thanks!
Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Oh, jeez, I just noticed there are a few whitish specks of cardboard dust on the outside of my flip in the obverse on the RSFSR lettering. Ignore those. And the somewhat largish salt particle at the bottom. This camera may be terrible, but apparently Super Macro catches some interesting detail.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • I really don't know why I find the Russians from this period so appealing. I've had a few raw ones with really nice toning and good luster. Yours looks nice also. They are tough to grade with the abundance flat details. I'd put that one at EF40-45 due to wear on the reverse leaves. The obv. looks a bit better. Overall toning looks original and attractive from the pics.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Yeah, I have a number of these early soviet pieces. Although my collection focuses on the opposite end of the political spectrum (monarchies), I think the early Soviet series are extremely appealing. When Stalin secured his power base, their coinage went to hell and never recovered.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are tough to grade with the abundance flat details. I'd put that one at EF40-45 due to wear... >>

Same exact comment as Terry.
  • XF45 - I doubt it would AU
  • Here's another flat one I like.

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders