Home Sports Talk

Are the Pirates ever going to make the playoffs again?

Its been 20 years. I thought Pittsburgh was suppossed to be the city the champions?

Comments

• jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    no
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • not with the cubs in their division lol but i can't see them having the talent to make it.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the Cubs a chance first- image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they will; but because of the salary disparity in the league...they will not sustain winning frequently.

• << <i>Yes, they will; but because of the salary disparity in the league...they will not sustain winning frequently. >>

Pretty much sums it up. Unfortunatly.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I actually think the Cubs have an uphill battle this year. Though, you're going to have problems fighting St. Louis and Milwaukee for sure.

I'm usually a sucker for rooting for underdogs, though - so I hope McCutchen and the rest of the Pirates have a great year!

If they do make it, sorry to say they will loose to the Angels in 4 games in the WS. image

Justin
  • For a little while last year they fell into a rhythm and were doing alright. But after the late innings game against the Braves that ended with a blown call from the home plate ump, the wind kinda left their sails. Maybe this year they can build on their success last year, and with 10 teams now making the playoffs each year ya never know. However what that franchise REALLY needs is for ownership to stop being cheapskates and decide to field an at least semi-competitive team. I'm not betting on that happening, but would love to be wrong.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    They've had a top 5 pick in 7 of the past 10 drafts (top 11 in the other 3), and don't have much to show for it except for a few minor leaguers and Andrew McCutchen.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    They have sure used a lot of players the last few years but only few have become semi stars and mostly with other clubs.I would like to see them challange some day but when?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Its definitely possible. Look at what the Marlins did... The trick is that you have to have emerging superstars who are still in their rookie contracts. The Marlins won when they had AJ Burnett and Josh Beckett when they were still cheap, but already dominant.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Ever? That's a long time. Yes, I think at some point before the end of baseball (or the Pirates) they will make the playoffs again. Hopefully in my lifetime.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    I was 4 the last time the os had a winning season...not even the playoffs.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    Yes they will. My guess is 2025, they are currently rebuilding. You always start rebuilding by scouting the T-Ball leagues.

Dave
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are in first place now (almost). They have the pitching but the offense is suspect. If they could coax Derrek Lee out if semi-retirement, they'd have a legit shot to make the playoffs.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody is talking about the Pirates. I know we have a few fans on these forums. Yes they're now 3 games out but the Reds have been playing out of their minds lately. I think the Bucs will stick around until the end this year. It will be interesting to see if they pick up a bat before the deadline. Does anyone else doubt they will contend into September?
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I don't see them catching the Reds, but I think they have a legitimate shot at a WC position, they just need to keep their ground. Adding a bat would be a great idea for them at this juncture.

Justin
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are asking if the Pirates will make the playoffs? The first question should be (And this is just because they currently own the longest consecutive streak of losing seasons in MLB @ 18 years I believe) Are the pirates going to have a winning season?

I don't believe so...although they have a good chance at it this year.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
    On July 31st, the Pirates were 59-44, 15 games over .500.

On September 29, the Pirates are 76-81, 5 games under .500, with just 5 games to go (vs playoff-bound teams).

Instead of competing for the wild card, they're going to have to win 5 straight to avoid their 20th loosing season in a row.

Wow. How did a team go from being a legit contender 2 months ago to being a crater?

Some may argue they were never a legit contender. Flash in the pan...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

<< <i>Some may argue they were never a legit contender. Flash in the pan... >>

Since August 1st, they've gone 8-16 vs sub .500 teams like the Astros, Cubs, Padres, and the Mets. Pirates got worked over by enough bad teams that the Pirates turned into one.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not? The Senators just did image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not? The Senators just did image >>

Do you mean the Senators or the Expos? The Expos are still in the playoffs, but the Senators got eliminated by the Browns.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>You are asking if the Pirates will make the playoffs? The first question should be (And this is just because they currently own the longest consecutive streak of losing seasons in MLB @ 18 years I believe) Are the pirates going to have a winning season? I don't believe so...although they have a good chance at it this year. Paul. >>

I remember reading this statement by Paul (he made it July 30) and thought it was quite a bold statement, as the Pirates were 58-44 when he made it. They won their next game and went to 59-44 ... but went 20-39 in their next 59 games. You were right Paul, as they finished the season at 79-83.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Yes. In 2013.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes. In 2013. >>

I hope for the sake for the people of Pittsburgh they don't follow the pattern they've held the previous two years. Start out hot, get everyone talking about the end of this streak, then fall apart in the second half.
  • Could happen, since I am an Orioles fan and we finally ended our run of futility, good luck
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    70-44 with 48 games to go...possible 4 game lead after tonight, unbelievable!
  • Looking good so far. Best record in baseball. What a story.
    The Charlie Morton for Nate McLouth trade is now looking like a clear win for the Pirates.

• I still wouldnt be surprised if cinci wins the division.
    I'd love to see the Pirates win the Central, but history would suggest that they might not finish strong. I just hope the Cards don't somehow squeeze in. They didn't deserve to win the game in Atlanta last year in the worst infield fly rule call in the history of baseball and should never have advanced in the playoffs. Karma is not on their side. Either Pittsburgh or Cinci or perhaps both.

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The Pirates are certainly defying the odds with their lack of offense this year. Their pitching has been so strong, though. They lose one of the most effective closers in baseball and they haven't missed a beat (yet). I would love for the Cards to completely miss the playoffs, but it's not likely. It seems like the only competition for the Pirates/Cards/Reds spots are the D-Backs and they don't really scare anyone.

It seems as if the Braves have had Pittsburgh's number since 1991, so that matchup isn't great for the Pirates, neither are the Dodgers, though. I'm hoping for a division win and a good showing in the playoffs, but I'm not holding out hope for a WS title this year...we'll see!