Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Helmar Bad for the hobby?

Helmar "art" cards are always selling on ebay for hundreds of dollars in the same design as Goudy, t206,Cracker Jack,T3'S and other pre-war designs. These cards are NOT LICENSED and are using famous names, famous designs, and team names along with there logos. Is that not trademark infringement ? In there listings you have to scroll down to read that they are not original cards even though the seller gives them a fake "R319" with a vintage look in the gallery that comes across as a original pre-war card. What is the difference from someone making there own cards of current players that looks like a design from a modern card producer?

Text

Comments

• Options
    I believe that since it is their own paintings and work they can sell it, even if it uses an image similar to another card.

It's kind of a grey area from what I can see.

Edit to add...

Each card is hand painted, they aren't printed. They come with a signed cert on the back verifying it is a painting.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Upper Deck have to produce cards recently without a team logo or name on there uniforms because they were not licensed? Why does Helmar get to use them? If Upper Deck made there cards with a pencil and crayons they could put a NY on Jeter's cap?
  • Options
    Those cards are absolutely stunning, thanks for sharing them. Can only be a great thing for baseball card hobby

I don't see how it would be any more of a LICENSING violation than paintings of Campbell's Soup cans. (I could never understand why those things were of such great significance)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Are the folks spending hundreds on these cards ignorant suckers, or do they know what they're doing?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Ok...
    This sold for $80,000,000.... Do you not believe a hand painted image of a player can sell for $300?

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Don't really know (or care) if they're bad for the hobby. I just wish that eBay would not allow them to be listed in the pre-war section.

Even though a lot of people find them attractive, they are NOT pre-war cards, and they should be listed in the modern section.

I hated having to scroll through all of 'em, and finally had to exclude the sellers of those cards from my pre-1942 search.

The stamps from 1911 (T332) are the only actual Helmar issue; here's mine for example:

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I agree they should be in a different category. they are attractive in some ways but they are in reality just a modern fantasy card that has been doctored to look old, and wasnt issued FREE with a product or service of any kind so are not a "true baseball card".

Im sure some of it is public domain by now so they can use the images etc. Much of the demand is the supply, many of these are said to be unique (one of a kind), so player collectors usually like them. I dont have any desire to ever pick up one, but they are nice looking. They seem to be branching out too much though, some designs are lame, and some player choices are lame as well. originally it was vintage 1910-40s players on the R319 looking cards. They even had round clear front padlocks with players images inside too, they were neat but still a modern piece so wouldnt fit my collection.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Agreed they are very cool.........but i have been conflicted with them as well. I see them more as art than cards, and i am really amazed at some of the prices these items are getting. This topic was discussed at length on the net54 boards a while back.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    From the eBay listing:

This is recent, hand made art by Helmar. Size is traditional for this design at about 11" x 8.25". Printed on paper stock consistent with the early 1900's, then distressed to give it that worn, well-loved look. You will feel as if you are holding a vintage card in your hands.

My comments: Would seem to cross the line. I don't know if it's trademark infringement or what. While they are clear in the listing, this listing will not always be with the card. If they were honest, the comment from the eBay listing would be printed on the back. They are unable to conceive original artwork so they simply ripoff someone else. These are garbage...
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Not all of these cards are actual paintings. Yes, they do sell the original,
    one of a kind artworks, but most of the cards you see on eBay are printed
    versions, albeit in limited quantities.

As mentioned, an interesting discussion on these cards happened over at
    Net54, and the owner offered some helpful info on his company.

Quoted from that thread:

Thank you. We make original paintings, usually with opaque watercolors.
    Then the paintings are scanned and, in this case, the text and logos were
    added in photoshop. Normally the backs are done in photoshop or photopaint.

They are made here, on the same 12 color press that the New York Metropolitan
    Museum of Art uses to produce their high-end lithographs.

The cool thing about these cards, in my opinion, is that they are artificially
    aged, which makes condition almost a non-factor and basically makes
    grading irrelevant. Just a different way of approaching the hobby.
  • Options
    If it's art then shouldn't the artist sign the bottom corner of the cards? Or at least put the date it was created on the back to help prevent confusion because it is aged. For those who sell original authentic pre-war cards isn't Helmar making the market a little more soft by sucking money out of collectors pockets who might otherwise buy the real deal?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Ok...
    This sold for $80,000,000.... Do you not believe a hand painted image of a player can sell for $300?

image >>

WOW! 80 with seven 0's????? Looks like something my kid made in art class. Who made that?
  • Options
    False Start - Jasper Johns
  • Options

<< <i> For those who sell original authentic pre-war cards isn't Helmar making the market a little more soft by sucking money out of collectors pockets who might otherwise buy the real deal? >>

That is certainly one way of looking at competition. To most of us we see it that the people buying these products value them more than anything else they could possibly do with the money, while people who buy original cards value those more than anything else they could do with that money. Definitely a good thing for all involved
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like the Helmar products. Its another option card collectors have. Due to some heated bidding
    some are too rich for my blood, but the public sets the price not the Helmar creators.

Here's an original art of local boy Eddie Plank alongside his 1933 Goudey looking card. Plank died in 1926, so I have no illusions that it is vintage.

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Welcome to the boards NVbaseball and addicted2ebay. How did you guys ever get interested in this Helmar stuff anyhow? Are you long-time collectors new to CU? Are you coming more from the art side of the collectible business?
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the boards NVbaseball and addicted2ebay. How did you guys ever get interested in this Helmar stuff anyhow? Are you long-time collectors new to CU? Are you coming more from the art side of the collectible business? >>

Hello cards651 image I was seeing what others thought about the Hemlar cards, I have no personal beef with them and wish that I had talent like that but think that some buyers are being duped into thinking its a pre-war made item. I am a huge card collector of mostly Baseball but will dab in other sports also. I just got back into collection last year at 31 and have some pretty nice stuff. I also just started submitting cards to PSA and was disappointed with the first submission but I am now waiting to see how the second one goes as I type. Sent them a 65 Namath, W554 Gehrig, 63 Rose, 54 Aaron, 57 Hornung and a 64 Topps Mantle w/Auto image
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    card 651,
    Collected cards for almost 20 years, but not in the past few years. Actually trying to get rid of everything I accumulated. Going through them all to see what to trash and what to sell led me here. Even if I never buy anything more, still would like to talk about it

Never heard of these cards before, but they do look really cool and capture a sense of history. And those are always primary factors in deciding what is worth collecting
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came across this thread after coming across this interesting card. At first I thought it was an original pre-war card. In any event, I think they are interesting. When I came across this combo card, I initially thought "what an odd coincidence" until I noticed it was recently made.

Chapman/Mays
  • Options
    Looks like there selling about 10k worth of cards a month image Too bad for us who sell original vintage cards. Some of those collectors might buy the real deal instead.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I dig the Helmar series cards. Unfortunately, after the first 2 series, the prices became out of hand for modern redoes and I had to bow out.

In many ways, they're a more true collectable than today's manufactured scarcity, as they are given out as a point of purchase inclusion. I like them a lot. Really want the Clemente...just not for the price.

Edited to add: I see these hand distressed copies aren't being offered with the beer or potato chips...that's a shame.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are phenominal pieces of artwork, Personally I think they would be a great addition to anyones collection. If anything I would tend to believe they are actually great for the hobby, it would promote more interest in the vintage cards at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nah, entrepreneur. better than 1981 donruss.
    Good luck to him. I like his style.