Home Precious Metals
Options

A couple of interesting articles regarding silver price manipulation.

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
Here, and here.

Bottom line, they won't get away with it in the long run.
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The author of the first link should investigate the trading activity of EVERY stock that trades on the exchanges. Why? Because he would see the same exact pricing and trading patterns on IBM, AAPL, MSFT, KO, MCD, ect.

If one wants to see a pink elephant, than he will see a pink elephant. But that doesnt meant the elephant is pink.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cohodk, are you suggesting that when larger shareholders of Apple or Microsoft decide to start selling they dump the entire pile into a massive price dip with no regard to the
    price that they will receive?

One thing those large cap stocks don't see are otc derivatives in the same size that silver bullion sees. In July 2008 the otc derivatives on silver were loaded to the tune of $190 BILL,
    or 12 yrs of world silver production. Imagine if you could/would short Apple 100-1 using otc derivatives. A $190 BILL notional bet (3-4 weeks of trading volume and approx one third of
    market cap) could get one some interesting results. But we're comparing "apples" to silver oranges here. Market cap of Apple is about 20X larger than the total value of annual world
    silver production. Market cap of the US exchange listed silver miners is approx $25 BILL...vs. $560 BILL Apple. I definitely see pink oranges here.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me why I don't buy stocks in the foreseeable future.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for reminding me why I don't buy stocks in the foreseeable future. >>

Unfortunately, this also affects the value of physical PMs... which really stinks. When the market manipulators drive down the price of gold and silver ETFs, spot price drops right along with it. It's horrible how we've allowed the easily manipulated paper to dictate the value of the physical metals.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    downward price manipulation = opportunity to buy "physical" at an artificially low price.

no conspiracy to manipulate can go on forever.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this also affects the value of physical PMs... which really stinks. When the market manipulators drive down the price of gold and silver ETFs, spot price drops right along with it. It's horrible how we've allowed the easily manipulated paper to dictate the value of the physical metals.

Yes, it's unfortunate - which is why you "average in" by stacking a little at a time. That minimizes market risk. It's portfolio theory and it is valid. Buying physical also puts some distance between you and the bad guys (whoever you perceive them to be).

Lastly, remember that the ETF pricing is not the same as the price of gold and silver. Because these markets are worldwide, if you structure your assets conservatively, you can outlast the manipulators every time - at least until physical holdings are attacked by either regulation or legislation to make it unattractive. You do need to pay attention to what is "coming down the pike". So far, so good.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "The author of the first link should investigate the trading activity of EVERY stock that trades on the exchanges. Why? Because he would see the same exact pricing and trading patterns on IBM, AAPL, MSFT, KO, MCD, ect."

Is this what you are talking about?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"The author of the first link should investigate the trading activity of EVERY stock that trades on the exchanges. Why? Because he would see the same exact pricing and trading patterns on IBM, AAPL, MSFT, KO, MCD, ect."

Is this what you are talking about? >>

No, not exactly, but to answer roadrunner, yes. About 3 weeks ago AAPL dropped $20 or about 4% in less than 30 min on about 10 million shares (1/2 a days volume). So if one of the largest and most liquid stocks can drop 4% in 30 min, why should it be any different for silver or gold? The fact that PMs are MUCH LESS liquid only exacerbates the situation. And due to this relative illiquidity, PM investors should fully EXPECT dramatic price movements.

Jmski52, stocks (as a whole) are no more or less risky than gold or silver.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Jmski52, stocks (as a whole) are no more or less risky than gold or silver.

Prolly true, but you can't eat a stock. Well, uh. I mean, you can't cast stocks into a silver bullet. So there!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CFTC Appreciation Medallion, in silver. How ironic. I love it.

I knew it would happen.