Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finished my first registry set. Griffey Jr Rookies

I know this is only 6 cards but I am pretty stoked to finish this one up. When I first started checking into PSA and the registry this is one of the first things that crossed my mind. I hope to knock out another set or two in the near future. Here is a link to my set

BenG76 Griffey Jr Rookie Collection

Comments

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the set. All 10's I like it. So which set are you going to concentrate on next?
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice job on the set. All 10's I like it. So which set are you going to concentrate on next? >>

More Griffey's. Maybe peck away at the master set or something like that just for fun. No way could I finish something like that though. Working on the 76 Topps Baseball set as well. I want to do an older Baseball set sometime but I cant decide what I want to go after yet.

I have a couple of the 1980 Burger King set. The 76 Wonderbread Football has my interest a bit as well. Gonna do the Mattingly rookie set as well even though its just 3 cards since I already have one even though its graded a 9.

I have a bunch of stuff I am interested in although I hope to narrow my focus to just a couple sets in the near future.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Congrats,
    On finishing your Griffey Jr Rookies set I have finished my Frank Thomas Rookie set. The fun thing about collecting
    modern players is there are lots of different set that you can collect. I collect Thomas cards and the are all sorts of
    sets I collect I have only completed (2) Thomas Sets the Rookie Set and a small (12) card Star set but it feels good
    to complete them. Down to (2) cards needed on my Basic Topps Frank Thomas Set and am very much looking forward
    in completing it.

James
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Congrats on completing the Griffey run.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Nice job. Your next goal of "picking away at the Master Set" is quite a jump. I would suggest going after his basic set next, especially if you like to be able to complete the set, maybe even the Master Topps. 220 cards in the basic is doable, 4,400+ in the Master is INSANE!!
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice job. Your next goal of "picking away at the Master Set" is quite a jump. I would suggest going after his basic set next, especially if you like to be able to complete the set, maybe even the Master Topps. 220 cards in the basic is doable, 4,400+ in the Master is INSANE!! >>

Yea the master set is pretty crazy and its very unlikely I would chase it too hard. I do plan on picking up more of his cards here and there though. I'll just see where it leads I guess.

Thanks for all of the replies.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Yep, jumping to the Master Set is an insane leap... especially for modern players. Give the Basic set a try... still a really good challenge and the set is limited to the major brands. I recently just completed my first Basic set (Pujols) and it's been a great challenge for 3+ years and since he's still playing... I get to keep it up over the coming years!

Thinking about that, it's kind of sad the state of the game... You're collecting Griffey, I've collected Pujols, another poster on this thread collects Frank Thomas... thinking of guys like Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod, Clemens... okay, roids jokes aside... as a collector it's kind of unfortunate to see all these stars of our generation having switched teams at significant points in their careers!

I read the article today on CNNSI about Chipper Jones announcing he'll retire after this season. It's kind of refreshing to see a modern-era superstar who got to play their entire, extended, pro career with only one team. It's so rare now-a-days, yet so cool. I really hoped Pujols would be one of those guys, but it didn't work out that way. Kind of the same way when I first saw Frank Thomas in a uniform other than the White Sox.

I've never been fan enough to collect a guy like Jeter... but when you think about Jeter, Chipper, Ryan Howard (so far)... it's pretty cool they've been able to stay in one place and build a legacy!

Congrats on your completed set (it's actually one I undertook this year too)... and best of luck on your future ventures!
  • Options
    Well Done!

i agree with Eric, go for the Basic Set next. Basic Sets RULE! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are 6 really nice cards of one of the best players of his generation and one of the best most of us have ever seen.

I agree that the Basic Set looks like a decent challenge. I'm looking at it now and there are some surprisingly relatively low pop PSA 10 cards in the early to mid 90's.
  • Options
    hoopguru33hoopguru33 Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Nice job on the set. Griffey is a great one to collect. I have his rookie set done but the 1989 UD is a PSA 9. Will someday upgrade to a PSA 10. I agree with the others on the board to go after the Basic Set. I am working on a Larry Bird Master Set (finally finished until something else is added) and a David Robinson Master Set (76% complete) and it will never be finished. I am now working on Basic Topps Sets of some of my favorite players. Much easier and less stressful. Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue.
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS: BKritz; Akuracy503; Rogermjn; MBMiller25; Artimus; JasonM32; Burke23; Alnavman; InitialD; Gregmo32; Ping4u43; Rbdjr1; Rexvos; Drewsef; Italianstallionyankees; Zep33; Samsgirl214; Bunker; Swartz1; MeteoriteGuy; Itzagoner; VitoCo1972; Saucywombat; RaptorsRule04; Dboneesq; Hallco; ldferg; Hawaii76; Epatmythes; Vladguerrero; Calaban7; Cardcounter2; BobS; Recbball; BarkusD; ShootyBabitt: WalterSobchak; Mrmint23; Nightcrawler729
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Congrats! I would definitely pursue the Griffey Basic set if I were you. You already have a nice foundation to start!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    From years of personal experience, the Griffey Master set is...tough.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Always nice to complete a Registry Set ! And yours is a Perfect 10 !!!!!!!

Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Very cool, nice work!
  • Options
    Very well done and congrats. I recently finished a Randy Johnson rookie set in all 10's and it was only 5 cards but I still got a kick out of it.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. Dive into the master set next.
    I am working on a master set for a different player and
    it is always there for me to add to while I wait for cards
    I am looking for in other sets to become available
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards