Home Sports Talk

Sean Payton suspended 1 Year

cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
This is going to hurt!!!!!!!

The NFL came down hard on the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday.

Saints punishment
• The New Orleans Saints are fined $500,000. In addition, because the violation involves a competitive rule, the Saints will forfeit their selections in the second round of the 2012 and 2013 NFL drafts.

• Saints coach Sean Payton is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective April 1.

• Saints general manager Mickey Loomis is suspended without pay for the first eight regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Goodell will review Coach Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms. Commissioner Goodell said he will give close attention to the extent to which Coach Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings.

• Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• The Saints and the individuals disciplined are expected to participate in efforts led by the league office to develop programs that will instruct players and coaches at all levels of the game on the need for respect for the game and those who participate in it, on principles of fair play, safety and sportsmanship, and to ensure that bounties will not be part of football at any level.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons.

Details of an NFL investigation released at the beginning on March reported that the Saints' bounty program gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 Saints defensive players were involved in the program.

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and apologized for running the program.

Payton and Loomis apologized and took the blame for violations that "happened under our watch," but not until almost a week after the NFL pointed to them for failing to stop the program.

Goodell has frequently taken a hard line on any action that threatens player safety. He suspended Detroit's Ndamukong Suh for two games for stomping on an opponent last season; banned Pittsburgh's James Harrison for one game after a series of flagrant hits that culminated in a collision with Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy's helmet; and has ramped up the amount of fines for what the league terms "egregious hits."

Goodell fined the New England Patriots $250,000 and their coach, Bill Belichick, $500,000 for the Spygate scandal in 2007, when the team was caught illegally videotaping the Jets' sideline. New England also was stripped of a first-round draft pick.

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    WOW! Goodell dropped the hammer on the Saints.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    More great news for the Rams ... Why do I even follow that team?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I've already sent the NFL league office a formal letter looking for recourse on any of my losses involving Saints games from '09 to '11.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom, hammer time! Go Falcons, this might help 2 of our games.
  • wow
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    like.

• << <i>like. >>

+1, all deserved
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. No offense to Patriots fans but the Pats got off easy compared to the penalty exacted on the Saints.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for the cheating Pats ... again screwing the Rams
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Part of me wishing the Browns were in this situation. We would of lost Pat Shurmur for a year.

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>More great news for the Rams ... Why do I even follow that team? >>

this

<< <i>+1 for the cheating Pats ... again screwing the Rams >>

and this

and a big middle finger extended towards Gregg Williams
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

the pats got a slap on the wrist for their spygate which impacted the integrity of the game (1919 sox anyone?)

and the saints get almost the death sentence for NOTHING that impacted the outcomes of the game. I mean if anyone was naive enough to believe this guys were actually *saints* they have another thing coming.

the city of new orleans has been through enough. THAT should have been point of relevance. Goodell has gone nuts with his power here.

• << <i>HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

the pats got a slap on the wrist for their spygate which impacted the integrity of the game (1919 sox anyone?)

and the saints get almost the death sentence for NOTHING that impacted the outcomes of the game. I mean if anyone was naive enough to believe this guys were actually *saints* they have another thing coming.

the city of new orleans has been through enough. THAT should have been point of relevance. Goodell has gone nuts with his power here. >>

--------------
    So Brett Favre was not pounded into the ground brutally because of this? When you try to deliberately kill / mangle / detroy / paralyze someone like the Saints did, you deserve whats coming. Dont tell me city has been through enough. Walk your happy little a** down to Bourdon St. and find someone who will believe this crap thats coming out of your mouth, because im pretty sure no one here is buying what your saying.

Favre

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    NFL players try to tackle hard against someone every single game, every year.

MUCH MUCH more severe injuries have been sustained by other players when not playing the saints.

if the saints really wanted to injure, or kill someone they could have.

If someone slides hard into second base to "take out the shortstop" we cheer. Obviously every single MLB'er is taught this from day one by his team. What's the difference? Torn ACLs are very possible there.

If the saints truly tried to injure players every week, QBs wouldn't make it through a single game.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The Saints will recover just fine. They will still win the NFC South next year. Goodell wants to play God. He's just incensed another owner. He will not last long.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Amazing. No offense to Patriots fans but the Pats got off easy compared to the penalty exacted on the Saints. >>>

IMO, the difference between the Pats and the Saints is that nobody is going to sue the NFL for the Patriots videotaping coaching signals. Whereas there are probably legal avenues for Brett Farve (and Kurt Warner, and anyone else injured by a questionable hit) to sue the NFL for allowing a system to be in place that rewarded players for injuriing them. They'd argue that the hits they took were no longer part of the sport, and instead they constituted aggravated assault (or worse). It's a PR and legal nightmare for the NFL.

Goddell has to make sure there is never a bounty system in place on any team again. While I think the punishment is extremely harsh (and probably unfair), his point has been made.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the NFL is concerned about possible lawsuits being filed against it by current and former players who believe that the league did not "do enough" to protect them from "workplace injury". With all of the money being made by the league and its individual teams, they all have deep pockets that are an attractive target for people [current and former players with injuries and/or medical conditions or who are broke and feel that the league "owes them"; and lawyers looking for a case that brings in big contingency fees] who want to shake loose some of the league's and team's money.

As medical knowledge and expertise grows in the area of concussions [and the causes and long term effects of same], pressure will continue to be placed on the league to do something to protect its players and to provide better care for former players. The league will enact more and more rules that are:

1. on the surface designed to protect players; and

2. that under the surface designed to give the league and its teams a paper trail that it/they can use to defend themselves against future lawsuits.

The effect of these new and additional rules will be complaints by current players that the rules are unfair, impossible to comply with and arbitrarily applied and enforced [i.e. in pro basketball Kobe or LeBron or D. Wade are not called for travelling (after taking 3 steps without a dribble of the ball) while Joe Schmoe rookie, 13th man in playing in garbage time will be called for travelling if he takes the same three steps].

Current rules and future rules enacted to protect players will cut against the "hit them hard, knock them out mentality, destroy them" of the players. Kind of a fine edge for the league and its teams to walk. You want the violence and hard hits [because your fans want it] while at the same time you do not want the violence and hard hits [so you won't be sued].

Kind of a Catch 22 situation.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect that the NFL is concerned about possible lawsuits being filed against it by current and former players who believe that the league did not "do enough" to protect them from "workplace injury". With all of the money being made by the league and its individual teams, they all have deep pockets that are an attractive target for people [current and former players with injuries and/or medical conditions or who are broke and feel that the league "owes them"; and lawyers looking for a case that brings in big contingency fees] who want to shake loose some of the league's and team's money.

As medical knowledge and expertise grows in the area of concussions [and the causes and long term effects of same], pressure will continue to be placed on the league to do something to protect its players and to provide better care for former players. The league will enact more and more rules that are:

1. on the surface designed to protect players; and

2. that under the surface designed to give the league and its teams a paper trail that it/they can use to defend themselves against future lawsuits.

The effect of these new and additional rules will be complaints by current players that the rules are unfair, impossible to comply with and arbitrarily applied and enforced [i.e. in pro basketball Kobe or LeBron or D. Wade are not called for travelling (after taking 3 steps without a dribble of the ball) while Joe Schmoe rookie, 13th man in playing in garbage time will be called for travelling if he takes the same three steps].

Current rules and future rules enacted to protect players will cut against the "hit them hard, knock them out mentality, destroy them" of the players. Kind of a fine edge for the league and its teams to walk. You want the violence and hard hits [because your fans want it] while at the same time you do not want the violence and hard hits [so you won't be sued].

Kind of a Catch 22 situation. >>

+1

It makes sense why the NFL would drop the hammer on them, especially from a legal standpoint. Don't necessarily agree with it but do understand their decision.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Effectively, Peyton has been fired by the league. How does a team compensate for a head coach that is mia for an entire season?
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Effectively, Peyton has been fired by the league. How does a team compensate for a head coach that is mia for an entire season? >>

And a GM for the 1st half of the season.

It's so unprecedented and no one really knows how in the eff to handle it. But in order to protect itself from future litigation, the NFL had to drop a hammer onto the Saints.

It sucks to be the guinea pig, just ask SMU.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the pats got a slap on the wrist for their spygate which impacted the integrity of the game (1919 sox anyone?). >>

The differences are as follows:

- the incident that the Patriots got busted for? THEY DIDN'T EVEN GET TO USE THE TAPE. It was confiscated before they could. The Saints actually, ya know, implemented their "program".

- When the Patriots got caught, they stopped. When the Saints got caught, and were told by the NFL and their owner to knock it off, they KEPT RIGHT ON DOING IT.

- When the Patriots got caught and Bill Belichick got interviewed, he came clean and admitted what he did wrong. When the Saints got caught, Sean Payton LIED TO THE COMMISSIONER AND INSTRUCTED HIS ASSISTANTS TO LIE AS WELL.

- What the Patriots did was video tape signals. What the Saints did directly impacted player safety by providing an incentive to break the rules.

- What the Patriots did didn't involve payments to players in violation of the salary cap. What the Saints did violates the salary cap.

- The Patriots lost a 1st round draft pick, hardly a slap on the wrist.

<< <i>isn't the issue payton's salary strictly a matter between payton and owner benson?

if benson wants to pay payton, how can the nfl prevent this?

my only guess is that there is something written into the cba that prevents benson from paying payton upon suspension. >>

The CBA has nothing to do with Payton. He's not in the union and is not afforded the protection of one. The union is the NFLPA - the key there being the "P" for PLAYERS. Payton's contract is between him and the Saints but gives authority to the NFL for discipline, as this case illustrates.

Tabe