Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone ever asked a eBay seller to use Pay Pal request for payment to get lower price?

I was wondering if it is a common thing for buyers to ask sellers to use the Pay Pal request for
payment so that they might give you a better price? If you have, just how do you go about asking
the seller and do you feel safe doing a buy like that? I will send them a message threw eBay and
see if they have any interest in doing it or if they know how to do it. I don't usually mention cutting the
Bay out of their fees until we email each other if they never have. Some sellers say they never do
that kind of thing and many I've contacted say Heck Yea and they'll knock 10 or 20 percent off the
price and close the auctions when we aqree on things. Thoughts ?

Comments

• ebay fees is no more than 10% for coins. So it would have to be less than 10% off for it to make sense for the seller to do so.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller runs the risk of having his eBay account supended if you request cutting out eBay and he does it.
    eBay does moniter messages through their message systen.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    "Thoughts ? "

I think you are intentionally violating the terms of your eBay user agreement.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not like ebay fees, do not use ebay. Otherwise you are taking advantage.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts: what you are doing is entirely unethical.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If one is already committed to buying it at the listed price, pay the listed price. The time to ask for a lower price is before making the deal, not after.

And using the eBay messaging system to work a "side deal" to avoid eBay fees is very much against their terms of service and could get you NARU'd.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't quite follow you. Why would they give you a discount for using paypal when it is costing them money? Some sellers try to add to your bill if you use paypal even though it is not allowed. I think the buyer is allowed to ask to pay by check but the seller may not request it or something like that.

Bunny time:

• Well I will not be doing it any more. Like I said, " Some sellers say they never do
    that kind of thing and many I've contacted say Heck Yea ". I Really don't want to
    jeopardize anyone's status with eBay. Thank You For The Thoughts.

Edited To Add:

Is it wrong when a seller on the BST asks for the Pay Pal "Gift" feature to be used
    when selling a coin? Isn't that defrauding Pay Pal much like buying a coin off eBay?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I will not be doing it any more. Like I said, " Some sellers say they never do
    that kind of thing and many I've contacted say Heck Yea ". I Really don't want to
    jeopardize anyone's status with eBay. Thank You For The Thoughts. >>

openly discussing a subject like this isn't going to go over too well in a public forum, think about what you are asking others to admit

i am sure there are people that can use paypal for sales/purchases after an auction/bin has ended. they still have the paypal guarantee.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't quite follow you. Why would they give you a discount for using paypal when it is costing them money? Some sellers try to add to your bill if you use paypal even though it is not allowed. I think the buyer is allowed to ask to pay by check but the seller may not request it or something like that. >>

The OP is talking about completing the sale outside ebay so the seller can avoid fees and offer the buyer a lower price.

It's unethical and violates the ebay terms. But I am sure it happens all the time.
    Lance.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Buyers are figuring out that on coins, where the difference between a good price and a high price is only 10 to 20% that ebay fees make a big difference. On Best offers lately, after we go back and forth a couple of times, it seems I always get the "how about I pay you $535 and we do it directly through paypal to save you fees." I've heard ebay is reading messages and will thump a seller who accepts such a proposal. Buyers, OTOH, aren't afraid to put it right into the ebay messaging system.

I'm very careful to stay out of trouble with ebay but I'm suprised I'm not hearing stories of sellers getting suspended.

--Jerry
  • ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>I don't quite follow you. Why would they give you a discount for using paypal when it is costing them money? Some sellers try to add to your bill if you use paypal even though it is not allowed. I think the buyer is allowed to ask to pay by check but the seller may not request it or something like that.

This would save the seller ebay fees - not paypal fees.
  • "Is it wrong when a seller on the BST asks for the Pay Pal "Gift" feature to be used
    when selling a coin? Isn't that defrauding Pay Pal much like buying a coin off eBay? "

Yes , theres no difference there,its still ripping off the services that the user agreed the terms off.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay monitors their messaging system and will take action against members who use the system to strike an off-ebay deal. Nothing wrong with striking the deal as long as ebay message system is not used to do so. If you want to communicate with a seller outside of the messaging system, send him your phone number and ask him to give you a call. Many sellers include their phone number in their listings for this very purpose.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay does not physically monitor the messaging system. They supposedly have a bot installed that can detect email addresses and telephone numbers, and strip them out of the context. They are aggressively trying to eliminate communication between sellers and potential buyers, regardless of who initiates the communication. Communication between a seller and a committed buyer on a completed listing is not an issue.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "ebay fees is no more than 10% for coins" <<< INCORRECT ! two coins i sold recently with actual final value fees in parenthesis $37.50 (4.13) $42.00 (4.62) im a bronze powerseller with a 20% discount. better than 10% with a 20% discount. add paypal's bite, and of course the bite that ebay takes out of a sellers shipping charge and its obvious why some people choose to deal outside of ebay. cant say i blame the seller for wanting to keep more of his money, and i cant blame the buyer for wanting to save a few bucks.... i realize that many people here live thier life by the letter of the law, and i also realize that others have not yet reached that level of perfection. give yourself a big pat on the back if you are without fault
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Ebay uses junk sellers who buy cargotainers of trinkets from China with a 300% markup as their business model so those sellers have no problem giving 15% to ebay. I've told them many times that coins don't have that much markup but they are too big to listen. --Jerry
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yogi Berra,
    When you come to the fork in the road, take it

My dear, you took the wrong fork.
    Have a nice day
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some sellers have easy to figure out websites and use eBay as essentially advertising.

anything more than that in your pre-sales communications via eBay and you are breaking their rules.

many also have post-sales cards in their shipments.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • "many also have post-sales cards in their shipments"

The beauty of this is every so often Vistaprint offer business cards free on ebay , it took about a year or two of doing this and i was able to chuck selling on ebay.
  • If folks put as much effort into doing what's right as they put into trying to circumvent rules I suspect:

1. The world would be a better place.
    2. It would take less effort.

Now if you'll excuse me, luch is over, I have to get back to my job as an EBay message monitor! image

• << <i>My thoughts: what you are doing is entirely unethical. >>

If you first saw the coin on eBay (i.e. you actually relied on eBay's services and received some sort of valuable product or consideration), I can see your point; however, I'm not sure that I would feel the same way if you learned about a coin through a BST thread that was subsequently put on eBay (perhaps with or without your knowledge). Again, eBay didn't do anything for either party in this scenario.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My thoughts: what you are doing is entirely unethical. >>

>>

i would disagree with this as well since sellers have coins on their site and ebay simultaneously, and other bst threads etc

not sure if that is against ebay policy, but if it is against policy, it is a rule that is broken quite a bit

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My thoughts: what you are doing is entirely unethical. >>

If you first saw the coin on eBay (i.e. you actually relied on eBay's services and received some sort of valuable product or consideration), I can see your point; however, I'm not sure that I would feel the same way if you learned about a coin through a BST thread that was subsequently put on eBay (perhaps with or without your knowledge). Again, eBay didn't do anything for either party in this scenario. >>

That's not what this thread is about. eBay is clearly noted. And regardless, even if eBay isn't involved, PayPal still has their terms which wouldn't allow for this.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it wrong when a seller on the BST asks for the Pay Pal "Gift" feature to be used

Yes, it is an attempt at fee avoidance and you are violating the TOS you agreed to at sign-up.
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I will not be doing it any more. Like I said, " Some sellers say they never do
    jeopardize anyone's status with eBay. Thank You For The Thoughts.

Edited To Add:

when selling a coin? Isn't that defrauding Pay Pal much like buying a coin off eBay? >>

Yes it's WRONG!! The fact that you even have the stones to ask this is very telling! Why do so many people feel the need to try to take advantage of people/companies that provide services??? If you don't want to pay for something don't use the service they provide. Plain and simple....
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • If you had read the thread before condeming the OP you'd see it wasn't a question asked in earnest Bob , the OP is only pointing out we are quick to condemn screwing ebay out a few nickels and all along see it happening on the BST.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited To Add:

when selling a coin? Isn't that defrauding Pay Pal much like buying a coin off eBay? >>

Yes. Might as well ask for a money order and wait to either cash it or wait for it to clear.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had read the thread before condeming the OP you'd see it wasn't a question asked in earnest Bob , the OP is only pointing out we are quick to condemn screwing ebay out a few nickels and all along see it happening on the BST. >>

@JamesMurray, the OP specifically states that he has attempted to circumvent PP fees by contacting a seller and asking for a lower price if they could avoid PP fees. The OP goes on to say that he won't be doing it anymore.... The OP then asks if it is wrong to avoid PP fees on the BST by requesting a "gift" payment. So I stand by my post that it is wrong to avoid paying for a service when and if you choose to use that service. Your implication that people try to screw ebay/PP "out of a few nickels" is probably grossly understated! I would equate that to someone convincing themself that stealing a candy bar from Wal-Mart is hardly a crime.... stealing is stealing regardless of the context!

BTW I did read the entire thread prior to my post!!image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • You are seeing things as you'd like to see them Bob , and thats fair enough. I can see what the OP implied with his question regards the BST and he is of course correct.Ill leave you on your soapbox now.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    And if a problem occurs and ebay finds out, its not covered.

COA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file