Home Sports Talk

Will Ichiro be in the HOF, and if so, on what attempt?

gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
Please note, the question is not what your personal opinion is on the issue of his inclusion, but whether or not the voters will put him in.
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Probably 1st ballot but could depend who else is eligible that year.
  • ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Yes - first ballot without difficulty

EDIT - NCDOLFAN stole my avatarimage
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know how he wouldnt get in first ballot.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont know how he wouldnt get in first ballot. >>

this.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Oh, there are ways. Pete Rose and Rafael Palmeiro looked like sure thing first ballot HOFers once upon a time too. But, barring some sort of scandal, I can't imagine Ichiro's numbers not getting him in on the first try.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's in. I hope he gets 3000 hits to add to the rest of his accomplishments. From what I have seen and read, he's a good guy as well!
  • GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    1st Ballot HOFer for sure.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    First ballot lock.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    If he retired today, I don't feel he is first ballot. HOF, but not first ballot
    He will likely hang around to get 3000 hits, and at that point he is a lock for entry on first ballot
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's in. I hope he gets 3000 hits to add to the rest of his accomplishments. From what I have seen and read, he's a good guy as well! >>

I agree he is 1st ballot however Ive read the opposite of him, I heard he is an absolute jerk and very selfish player.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He's in. I hope he gets 3000 hits to add to the rest of his accomplishments. From what I have seen and read, he's a good guy as well! >>

I agree he is 1st ballot however Ive read the opposite of him, I heard he is an absolute jerk and very selfish player. >>

Definitely a selfish player. Jerk? That one kinda depends on who you're talking to.

Tabe
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

He's a lock for the HOF. Probably no more than 3 ballots and he's in. The writers are pretty unpredictable these days though. They seem to have an axe to grind with pretty much anyone that played in the steroid era.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    he will not get in...a full time juicer....
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    1st ballot
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    MVP, ROY, AS MVP, 10x All-Star (currently), 10x Gold Glove, 2x Batting Champ, single season single record holder. Unless through some conflagration of events he was on there the first time with say an ARod, and a Pujols, Rivera, something like that, Suzuki is a lock for a 1st ballot election to the HOF.
  • the tougher question is, will his induction speech be in english or japanese? ありがとう
  • Lock for the HOF, but I'm not sure if he's a 1st ballot lock just yet. Jim Rice had better numbers, and it took him a while.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    1st ballot, over 90%
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st......easily.
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    1st, lock.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mortal lock.............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>

<< <i>I dont know how he wouldnt get in first ballot. >>

this. >>

Completely agree. What he did in his 1st 10 seasons in MLB is good enough to clinch him in as a 1st ballot. Add in what he did in Japan (i know it doesnt count but the voters would be remiss to ignore it) and its a no brainer
  • See the above post. HOF on what he did here; first ballot on what he did in Japan and here combined.

I don't like the guy one bit. Anytime a selfish player influenced games so he could break the single season hit record is bush league merde. But oh my goodness, look at his stats. I put him above everyone except guys like Tony Gwynn, Cobb, Ruth and Williams. But I can't stand the guy.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Ichiro should get in , 1st ballot easily

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

• << <i>If he retired today, I don't feel he is first ballot. HOF, but not first ballot
    He will likely hang around to get 3000 hits, and at that point he is a lock for entry on first ballot >>

He is 38 and coming off a year with a .335 slugging percentage. It is highly doubtful anything he does from now on will improve his chances. If he isn't already a first ballot selection, he won't be

But if anyone wants to make an even-money wager, I would bet a years salary he makes in on the first ballot. Based just on what he has done with Seattle he is below the Hall-of-Fame standard. Give him credit for the years in Japan and he is well above it. Then add "Fame" to the equation and very hard to see 25% not voting for him
  • the greatest, overrated singles hitter in baseball history.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    This is a prime example of why stats like OPS+ are so valuable. On the surface, you see a guy like him and compare him to say, Joe Morgan, and it seems silly. Ichiro has a batting average over 50 points better and all of these gaudy 200+ hit seasons, and it is clear that Ichiro is the far better player. Then, when you start digging into the other numbers, well, the numbers reveal the truth... the ugly truth... Ichiro has only walked 496 times in eleven seasons (an average of 46 walks per 162 games), he has virtually no power, strikes out a fair amount for a guy with his power numbers, never sacrifices... Here's a perfect example of Ichiro: In 2007 he had 238 hits. That's HUGE!!! 238 hits is the 18th highest total in major league history. He had a total of 292 total bases. 292. Total. How is that possible? There are at least 40-50 active guys that have had seasons more than that. The top 500 cuts off at 327, so I am guessing that 292 ranks somewhere around 1000 all time? Even the year he broke the hit record with 262 hits, he only had 320 total bases, which wouldn't be in the top 500.

My thought is this. Ichiro will make the HOF because of the hits, the average, the international celebrity, and the Gold Gloves. First ballot, no question. In truth, he is probably about the equivalent of Jose Cruz or Amos Otis.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • He gets in. I would say by the third ballot on the absolute latest and it would not surprise me if he was first ballot.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Why is this a question? Of course he will get in. The ballot is irrelevant. It will be an early one.