Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Finally got to 100% complete on 1948 Topps Magic Photo Wrestling Set

One of my goals for a few years was to have this set entirely graded. I finally completed this task this week. This set is really tough to find in good grades as a "5" is pretty good and a 6 is about the best you can expect for a top grade due to how these cards were developed with kids' spit or water. Of course a few are better than that but not many. I have 18 of the 25 in 6 or above, and all are at minimum a 5. This set has many legends like Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, Strangler Lewis, Jim Londos, Jim Browning, etc. Who knows if any collectors will look into vintage wrestling cards....but the modern all star cards are going bonkers. I enjoy these just to enjoy them as I do all my wrestling cards because it is my niche and I feel that I am the best at it. With my budget I know my place in the collecting world.
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Great collecting accomplishment - congratulations!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Awesome...congrats.
  • 123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    Very cool! Got a pic of one?

Chad
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the last one that I needed........

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats! Great accomplishment. Now enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Very cool, congrats!
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Keep buying those cards up!
    I hope to improve it and have all 6s or above...I'm a few numbers away from having the top all time set..... The set went for around $1200 for the 25 cards last year. I'm sure that set and mine are the only ones going right now as there are few of them graded.
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. If you ever get the time would love to see pics of the old school legends.
    I do have all the scans but one up on the registry but I may put in on the boards too if that is easier.....
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Rob, congrats on finishing your set!!! It is always nice to finally finish off a set no matter what you collect. Between you and Dpeck, I've got a new appreciation for the wrestling cards.

Best of luck on your next collecting goal. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Thanks Mike! I am only .35 from having the top set of all time so I am going to make a run at that and who knows how long it will take to overcome that one. It is nice to have it 100% complete without any culls in the lot.

I also have a few other projects I am working on. I am only five cards away on a 1955 Parkhurst wrestling set and becoming the first person to have that one 100% complete. There are 121 cards in that set.

My 19th century wrestling cards is a constant project and I will be having a few nice additions to that set real soon. :-)

I am pretty close to having my 1982 A, 1982 B and 1983 Wrestling All Sets at 100% complete.

There are plenty of things for me to do!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Rob - I agree with Mike - you've brought a new perspective along with Dpeck to my hobby understanding.

Plus, I like being reacquainted to the wrestlers I haven't heard of in many years.

Good luck on your next project.
    Mike
    Here is the last one I got back from PSA...not bad for a ebay pickup. I want a PSA 6 but this will do for now. 18 of 25 in PSA 6 or above.........

After earning a badge the last two years someone brought down the King and I am down to number two on the registry. I cannot even remember the last time there was a card offered that would have improved my set on ebay. I suspect the guy behind me bought some nice raw and self subbed as I have not seen the cards to purchase at all. The competition is now on for 2014!
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Game on! Good luck.