Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Football wax trays

BBCE has a case of these and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of card Allocation somrthing like these Wax trays have.
Seems to me the way the wax packs are packaged(Three to a wax tray) that the card quality would have the potential to be very good.
Anybody ever bust any amount of these trays?

john

Comments

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    First let me say your signature block of the solo albums is beyond awesome. image

I have not busted a tray pack since they came out in 79 (as a kid). Frankly, they are generally such a rare form of packaging that I personally would shy away from busting one. If you can't help yourself (and who can blame you!) I would suspect the quality, at least corner wise, has to be good. They are wrapped in both cello and wax for extra
    Protection. Of course you could still hit the stinker off center pack; that cannot be avoided. If you bust I'd be curious to read the results.
  • Options
    Shy away because of the Rarer Packaging?

Ive never been one to noy open anything. Im interested in the cards inside more than anything else.

Yes I am a member of the KISS Army. Wife and I are kiss junkies. We once flew to Virgina Beach on a moments notice just to get to the kiss show. I can't even believe KISS was the opener. I was ready to leave after their set. They just DESTROYED any hope Aerosmith had of ever thinking they could follow Kiss.

Was it not you who had the Killer 78 Kiss Card set?

John
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    While true that wax trays are generally a scarce form of packaging, 1979 Topps football trays are quite easy to find so I wouldn't worry about busting them.

Now that I think about it I did open a '79 FB tray some years ago. The quality was pretty decent as I recall. I do remember I got a Payton, albeit, very off-centered. '79 was just a tough year for all of Topps' sports issues.
  • Options
    MOrning,

I've opened hundreds of 79's and they are Brutal for centering. Just once about 5 years ago I got a Box of Wax Packs and they were almost across the board Centered in every pack, a lot of the Low Pop MINT 9 Pops that you see today came from that Box, if I remember I got like 130 MINT 9's and about 10 10's from it. This was the exception to the rule, the last lot of Wax Trays that I purchased were so Brutal for centering that some of the cards had other cards as part of them.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ive busted 3 Wax boxes and had pretty good results. Im no stranger to the centering issues facing many of the seventies Topps sets.

So wax vs the Tray? Tossup? I guess what I was really trying to find out is if the wax packs packaged in the trays come from a different print run of cards made
    specifically for these trays or weather they were just randomly packaged along side the other wax products(Boxes)

John
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shy away because of the Rarer Packaging?

Ive never been one to noy open anything. Im interested in the cards inside more than anything else.

Yes I am a member of the KISS Army. Wife and I are kiss junkies. We once flew to Virgina Beach on a moments notice just to get to the kiss show. I can't even believe KISS was the opener. I was ready to leave after their set. They just DESTROYED any hope Aerosmith had of ever thinking they could follow Kiss.

Was it not you who had the Killer 78 Kiss Card set?

John >>

That is me; I do have one of the KISS Donruss 78 card sets. Huge KISS fan myself here. Always good to run accross a fellow KISS army member!

I did not realize the 79 football trays are more common than other trays. That certainly appears to be the case from BBCE's pricing (not much more for a tray pack compared to a single pack price). I remember buying a lot of football cards in 79 and still have my "well loved" set. I have it on my list to put a nice set together someday and the most fun way to do it (though not the cheapest) is from unopened material. With that said, just do it and post the results here!

Matt
  • Options
    I have noticed for some reason...

1979 baseball and football boxes bbce wrapped command more $$ vs a dozen wax trays of the same year.

I would think the wax trays should be more expensive but eBay sales show otherwise
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    jmsodpc,

I have to agree with you. Bit of a headscratcher. I would think 12 wax trays would command a bigger premium than a 36 count wax box, unless the wax box was guaranteed from a factory sealed case that hasnt seen the light of day. Just because a wax box is wrapped by BBCE, unless it is from a sealed case, that box could have been searched. My understanding is that all BBCE guarantees is that the packs are unopened and not tampered with. Unless they were the original owner of the box or the case it came from, they cant usually tell whether the 36 packs are original to that box or were pieced together.

Thats why I like the wax trays. Hard to tamper with and you essentially have "three factory sealed wax packs" No way to search them and no way to tamper with them.
    In the past they carried sizeable premiums to three single packs and also to wax boxes. In my opinion baseball, football and basketball wax trays offer the best value right now.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a premium for a wax tray vs 3 single packs from the same year for the reasons that Doug mentioned, as the packs are truly factory sealed. Case in point~I have pulled a 78 pack from a tray with Murray face out on back and an 80 pack from a tray with Henderson RC face out on back, both of which were graded by PSA. Plus, the packaging is really cool and if you open a tray, you can smell that bubblegum through the wrapper just like it was 1979. No other pack offers that bonus! image

I think the lower market price for 79 trays vs single packs has more to do with supply~79 is by far the most plentiful of wax trays to find. The farther you go back, the bigger the premium for the tray~for baseball, anything from 77 or earlier is very scarce, and the price escalates accordingly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.