Home Sports Talk

2012 NFL Free agency

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just before free agency opened at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, the Bears made a bold move, trading two third-round picks to the Dolphins in exchange for wide receiver Brandon Marshall, the Bears announced on Tuesday.

The news was first reported by Jay Glazer of FoxSports.com. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the picks are a third-rounder in 2012 and a third-rounder in 2013.

The Dolphins originally gave up two second-round picks when they traded for Marshall from Denver in April of 2010. They then handed Marshall a big contract extension

Marshall is now reunited with his old quarterback in Denver, Jay Cutler. While playing with Cutler in Denver, Marshall broke out in a big way, catching 226 balls for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns in three years, which includes a rookie season of just 20 catches and 309 yards.

Marshall's seen less success since coming to Miami: he hasn't caught more than 86 balls in a single season and only has nine touchdowns with the Dolphins.

Per Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post, Marshall will make $9.3 million in 2012 and $9.1 million in 2013 and 2014.

So the Dolphins clear up some major cap room with a move to deal Marshall -- Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post notes that Marshall had a cap number of $11.35 million in 2012.

And while it might seem like the Dolphins are giving up on their chase for Peyton Manning, this is not the case. There were rumblings that Manning wasn't thrilled about throwing to Marshall, who had (according to Pro Football Focus) the most drops in the NFL (51) over the past four years. Additionally, Marshall's had problems off the field as well. He was involved in a domestic dispute that led to him being stabbed in the stomach.

Now the Dolphins are situated, if they so choose, to chase Reggie Wayne, who attended college in Miami, and use him to lure Peyton to South Beach.

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I see it as a move to clear salary cap space for an attempt to sign Peyton Manning.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimage

now we need.............

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see it as a move to clear salary cap space for an attempt to sign Peyton Manning. >>

According to the local newz, the phins are more interested in signing 1-2 of the FA wide outs and a QB (mebbe Flynn). The team owner wouldn't meet with PM when he interviewed and the rumor is they (Miami) are barely lukewarm on him. While Wayne would love to have Manning throwing to him again, he's more in love with signing with Miami or so it would seem.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Great trade for the Bears.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • looks like he may have punched a WOMAN in the eye at a nightclub...
    looks like a potential 6-8 game suspension
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    reggie wayne signs with colts....bruce wayne plays for gotham city
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Marshall is not exactly a role model.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>looks like he may have punched a WOMAN in the eye at a nightclub... >>

She had it coming, Brandon is just misunderstood.image
  • I keep hoping that there is a underlying plan but.... the Dolphins keep making me cry !!!
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>looks like he may have punched a WOMAN in the eye at a nightclub... >>

She had it coming, Brandon is just misunderstood.image >>

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Flynn is going to Seattle. That leaves Miami trying to sign Smith or drafting Weeden and/or keeping Matt Moore.

The Miami ownership sux. image
    In other news...

The Pats signed Brandon Lloyd, Im "OK" with it but would have prefered Mike Wallace. Im glad they stayed away from Vincent Jackson, the guy is a mirror image of TO and Moss except a little less talented, he plays only when he feels like it.

I think Miami was smart not throwing huge money at Flynn, the guy had basically one big game I think the safer play is Matt Moore for another year and look to the future drafts for a Franchise QB
    Edited the Title of the thread image
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    No team is worse than the Browns when it comes to picking up free agents! This is ridiculous!!

<< <i>No team is worse than the Browns when it comes to picking up free agents! This is ridiculous!! >>

Have they done anything???
    Demarco Ryans to the Eagles, looks like the Texans are packing it in already..
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Looks like the Dolphins are banking on David Garrard and Matt Moore (maybe?). I'm guessing that means a quarterback will be drafted early in Miami.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    Once again I find myself getting P'O at the Patriots. I was seriously hoping they would have tried to snag Bush from the Raiders, we do need a solid Running Back. Instead he goes to Chicago, scratch Forte off the list of early Running Backs to select in this years fantasy drafts....
    I cannot believe Chad Ocho Cinco remains with the Patriots, he redid is $3 mill deal so his base is $1 Mill which is "OK" I guess hopefully year 2 he will understand the playbook and contribute more than 15 lousey catches.