Home Sports Talk
Options

Moss a 49'er

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
After his workout last week with the Saints reportedly went well, Randy Moss traveled to San Francisco last weekend to try out for the 49ers. Apparently, that tryout went really well, because, as CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman has confirmed, the team has signed Moss to a one-year deal.

The move -- originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter -- makes sense, mostly because, as we told you in the NFC West free agent preview, the 49ers receiving corps isn't great. After Michael Crabtree as the No. 1 target, you had Josh Morgan and Ted Ginn Jr. And that was pretty much it.

Now, the 49ers will get to see in live action whether Moss can still catch the deep ball.

Since Moss announced he wanted to return to the NFL, he's been embroiled in a controversy with former teammate Cris Carter, who said Moss has plenty of "quit in him." Subsequently, Moss ripped Carter back on Twitter, but that apparently didn't faze the 49ers.

Aside from working out for two teams, Moss has been spending much of his time lately on USTREAM, reading fans' tweets and discussing boogers and the media. And after a year off, some have wondered how fresh his 35-year-old legs are.

“My legs feel damn good," Moss said recently. "They really do.”

Considering Moss will be paid to run by receivers, that news, if true, is awfully good. But you also can't forget Moss' reputation of being, well, a jerky teammate -- or worse, quitting on his team.

Former Vikings coach Brad Childress said Moss vomited all over the locker room (not literally), and as CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman writes, "The 49ers just signed a timebomb. Now the clock is ticking on when that bomb goes off."

Of course, the other major question is this: will free agent Alex Smith be the one throwing it to him? And will Smith get caught in the crossfire of that timebomb?

And what does Moss think about all of this? Simple. Late Monday night, Moss tweeted simply and beautifully: "Boom, boom."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add ourRSS Feed.

Comments

• Options
    Now will anyone ink TO?
  • Options
    The Ravens should have signed TO. He easily makes that catch in the AFC title game. They really shouldn't overlook him this year.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    He worked out with the 49ers today with Harbaugh throwing passes to him. The initial reports were that the coaches were very impressed with his workout and liked what they saw. I don't know the terms of the deal but I don't see much potential downside.

Moss isn't a West Coast offensive type of receiver but he could be a viable deep threat decoy to tie up the secondary. If he turns into that "timebomb" Brad Childress claims he is during the season he could be released without much hurt to the team's bottom line.

As for Alex Smith, it was reported that a 3-year deal will be signed in the next few days. I'll readily admit I'm not exactly the biggest Alex Smith fan out there but he is the most consistent QB available at this time. Sure Peyton Manning has the pedigree and will garner the most attention but he is a very high risk (ane expensive) proposition. It's one thing if this was 2005 and he was available, but today you aren't getting that, you're getting the Peyton Manning with four neck surgeries that hasn't played in over a year.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Not that the 49ers would even consider it, but TO would make a nice addition. Plug him in there with Moss, Crabtree, and Davis. Then we will see what Alex Smith has.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    If you put Moss and TO on the same team, the NFL would have some a chemical/karma/physical imbalance and implode within itself or something....

Kinda like cold fusion but on a much greater scale.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>If you put Moss and TO on the same team, the NFL would have some a chemical/karma/physical imbalance and implode within itself or something....

image >>

Hi Barry image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Moss will do well if the team contends.

49ers need all the help in the WR department. But T.O., NO

Now if Smith can throw a tight spiral accurately and be able to throw in an acceptable direction while moving to his right it could be a good year next year.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It was reported that the Redskins are going after Josh Morgan. Even with Moss signed the Niners are reportedly still interested in Vincent Jackson or Mike Wallace.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I think he still has something left in the tank
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you put Moss and TO on the same team, the NFL would have some a chemical/karma/physical imbalance and implode within itself or something....

image >>

Hi Barry image >>

Hi Paul!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing Moss has in the tank is that he is a total LOSER! For all of his physical talent he is, was, and always will be a detriment to any team interested in winning a championship.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set