Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

111 Down--1953 Topps Completed in PSA or better; 1953-68 Topps Run Complete

In one of my best completions yet, I have completed the challenging 280 card 1953 Topps set in PSA 8 or better. Not only am I pleased to complete one of the great sets but the completion gives me 16 straight years of completed sets in PSA 8 or better which I am very happy about. This set contains the second year Topps cards of Mantle and Mays as well as Jackie Robinson and Satchell Paige.

There are no real condition rarities in the set. The final 2 cards in the set were Granny Hamner(pop 23) and Gil McDougald(pop 28). The lowest pop cards in the set are Glavino and Addis--pop 18 and 19 respectively.

My set consists of 2 PSA 9s and 278 PSA 8s. The 8.01 set rating places me 7th behind such hobby heavyweights such as Merkel, Spence, Duke of Mint, Fogel, Pacifica and Phil Minard. I will let the set rest at this level.

Thanks to all dealers and collectors in helping me complete my sets.

For a list of my sets, please see the three posts I made earlier this weekend.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats ... I love that set!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. You are on a roll.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thats a great accomplishment.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim ... you went CRAZY this week! Congrats! What do you think will be your next completed set?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Nice job. 4 sets completed this weekend. Now it's time to finish that 1952 Topps set.image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim.

This just may be my favorite set - tho I have never attempted it. Good show!
    Mike
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I have been on a roll recently thanks to Steve. I have one more to announced but after the outburst today I am thinking I should wait. Following that we have leads that would allow me to finish two more. Funny thing is they are baseball.

On the subject of 1952 Topps, I cannot see myself finishing it unless the Dreiers decide to earmark some of their proceeds to me to get a Pafko or to upgrade my Mantle. But i hope to finish it with about 380 8s and the rest 7 or 8 oc..

Jim
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I cannot see myself finishing it unless the Dreiers decide to earmark some of their proceeds to me to get a Pafko or to upgrade my Mantle. >>

As in Marc Dreier?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats!!!
    love reading these posts
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I have been on a roll recently thanks to Steve. I have one more to announced but after the outburst today I am thinking I should wait. Following that we have leads that would allow me to finish two more. Funny thing is they are baseball
    Jim >>

If you let one Richard quiet you he will have gotten his way at the expense of the rest of us. Fire away!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am jealous Jim. One of my favorite sets. How close are you to finishing the 1952 Topps set? Last time we spoke personally at the Baltimore National you were not making very much progress. I believe you were lacking around 100 then.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Shane,

362 in psa 8 or better, 21 graded less than 8 and 24 missing. Problem is every remaining card is super tough or super expensive.

Doug,

As in the Dreier Collection.

Jim