Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update-1840-O Large O Quarter-Graded by PCGS

CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 1840-O Large O quarter that I found in my collection 6 months ago returned from PCGS with a grade of F12, so I am a happy guy! It's the lowest grade of the (now) 4 attributed by PCGS. It will probably go into an auction at some point in the future, but I'm in no hurry to part with it. Here are some new photos.

imageimage

My original post:

I pulled a box of (supposedly) lower-value type coins out of the safe deposit box this morning, and was checking them against the latest Cherry Picker's Guide. I found what I believe is an 1840-O Large O quarter and, unless my aging eyes are playing tricks on me, the denticles on the reverse appear to be doubled, which is a diagnostic of one of the two varieties. Can anyone confirm this? There are pics below.

imageimage

My notes on the coin show that it was purchased 11/20/77 for $11.50. If it's the Large O, it would be a nice score!

Jim
Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a quarter guy, but it looks like a large O to me.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is the rare 1840-O With Drapery, Large O quarter. Funny that you would find one while cherrypicking your own collection. A customer of mine did the exact thing you did this past summer, and made the same discovery you did. Believe me, he was a very happy camper when he saw what I sold his coin for!

Congratulations on a great find!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Great find and with less than 40 known you will do very well when its time to sell. The last one that I can remember was a VG coin that sold for about $1,250.

BTW check your 44-Os for this reverse

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    definately the 40-o drapery with large O, the denticles on the reverse were hand cut to extend the life of the die. congrats to you ! im still looking for one.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I figure my coin is a VG10, so knowing that it's a scarce variety makes me a happy camper. I think I briefly toyed with the idea of assembling a year set of Seated quarters, but that was back in the 1970's, and my collecting tastes became more sophisticated when I worked in a coin shop a couple of years later. Moldnut, unfortunately my 1844 is a Philadelphia coin, but thanks for alerting me to that variety. I'll watch out for it in the future.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time I held one of those in my hand was an XF45 that Legend had in January 2002. I still kick myself for not paying the $2500 that they were asking for it.
    But at the time I really wasn't on top of my seated quarter variety pricing and was more interested in unc grades for better dates. My loss.

And nice cherry pick Cocoinut.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Wow...nice self cherrypick! I can't say I've ever cherrypicked myself before...sure would be nice to do one like that!

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow...nice self cherrypick! I can't say I've ever cherrypicked myself before...sure would be nice to do one like that! >>

You never know you might one day think that 56 s/s is just a regular s because of the label then rediscover!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, Jim, on the self-cherrypick image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow...nice self cherrypick! I can't say I've ever cherrypicked myself before...sure would be nice to do one like that! >>

You never know you might one day think that 56 s/s is just a regular s because of the label then rediscover! >>

Dang! NOW that's never gonna happen. I just sent it in for reholder!
  • Options
    Update in first post.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick!image
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    A fine score!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Yippee, yippee, yippee.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great score!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file