Home Sports Talk
Options

What HDTV to purchase for MLBTV this year?

Hi all - I have about $1000 to spend on an HDTV to watch the MLB channel this year. What does everyone recommend....plasma or LCD?

Brands?

I am looking in the 40-42" range.

Tell me what you have and if it's any good!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a Toshiba 55HT1U for $1000.00 haven't seen anything significantly better and it's BIG. LCD was how I went after shopping and comparing. Couldn't be happier.

Of course this is not "cutting edge" so it won't be able to handle 3-D.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Buy a Samsung 43" Plasma 3D TV and you will have a lot of money left over.

Check this out.

Samsung

However, DO NOT GO TO BEST BUY!

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have a Samsung LCD-have been very happy. Search the web for LCD v LED V plasma.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I like the 52 inch sharp.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $1000, if you don't care about 3D or "smart" TVs, you can get a super-nice TV that's much larger than 42". Just an FYI.

Personally, I recommend Samsung plasmas over everything else. They are a tremendous value and the picture quality is outstanding. I got a pair of 50" 720p plasmas over 3 years ago. They still look great and I *still* get compliments from people seeing them for the first time.

Also, just an FYI - if you don't play video games or have a blu ray player, there's no need for 1080p, especially in a 42" TV. Cable TV is broadcast in 720p or 1080i so you can just go with a 720p TV if you want.

Tabe
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

I would avoid 3D, market is way overpriced for limited viewing. Definitely get 1080P, (I)interlaced vs (P)non-interlaced...google that. The key thing is to figure how far away from the tv will you be viewing the screen from...if memory serves, somewhere between 9 to 11 feet is the sweet spot.

I have a 48" Panasonic I purchased long ago...it works fine. I also have a 42" Vizio, 1080P which provides more than ample excitement, especially when hooked to a surround sound system.

Bang for buck IMO is a 42.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy the biggest flattest screen plasma or LED that you can afford.
  • Options

<< <i> Definitely get 1080P, (I)interlaced vs (P)non-interlaced...google that. >>

Again, 1080p only matters is if you're playing blu rays or buying a video game system. Cable companies don't broadcast in 1080p.

Tabe
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Thanks guys - checkin out the TVs tomorrow at the major stores in KC!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Led if you want bright and vibrant. Plasma if you want true and soft. Sony Panasonic or sharp. Go get em tiger.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Any of the well known major brands are fine. Samsung arguably has a the most appealing picture quality but their early models with A or B in the model number have virtually a 100% failure rate of the capacitors in the power supply and it's iffy if Samsung will repair them at their expense. It seems to be luck of the draw. An LED backlit may last longer than a florescent but they both can provide high quality pictures for a long time. For the techie, LED or florescent full-aray with local dimming backlit are the cream of the crop though the snobs prefer the LED.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    what is hdtv ??? i still have my tv set from when i was a kid...nice tv and all channels from 2-13 work but i wish it was in color.....the andy griffith show and hazel are good but i know there are other shows they have in color...i keep saving but my damn ford pinto is getting costly to keep repairing......good luck in your search..
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options

<< <i>Any of the well known major brands are fine. Samsung arguably has a the most appealing picture quality but their early models with A or B in the model number have virtually a 100% failure rate of the capacitors in the power supply and it's iffy if Samsung will repair them at their expense. It seems to be luck of the draw. An LED backlit may last longer than a florescent but they both can provide high quality pictures for a long time. For the techie, LED or florescent full-aray with local dimming backlit are the cream of the crop though the snobs prefer the LED. >>

The Samsung "B" model is what I've got - both of 'em. 3+ years and still going strong.

Tabe
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    A year and half ago, I bought a Samsung plasma 3D TV, still waiting to watch my first 3D movie on it. Figured it would be better to have 3D and not need it, then to want it and not have it....so far it looks like I spent $500 more for a feature that I might not ever use. (Especially since my cable provider doesn't offer any 3D content).

It's mostly personal preference, and mine is plasma's over LCD's. But, if you're going to be playing video games on it, I'd go LCD or LED.
  • Options
    That's like me and my PS3. I bought it as a blu ray player, a feature I've used exactly once in the 18 months I've owned it. "I'm not going to play games" - yeah, right. I now own 20+ PS3 games and play it constantly.

And I would definitely recommend a plasma for video games. The refresh rate is significantly faster in plasmas vs LCD (480hz minimum for plasma for 240hz maximum for LCD) thus giving you a smoother picture. I have no complaints about the color or picture quality on my plasmas in gameplay.

Tabe
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what is hdtv ??? i still have my tv set from when i was a kid...nice tv and all channels from 2-13 work but i wish it was in color.....the andy griffith show and hazel are good but i know there are other shows they have in color...i keep saving but my damn ford pinto is getting costly to keep repairing......good luck in your search.. >>

That's funny....

By the way, they have touch-tone phones now and if you really want to go all out, you can also get an answering service.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    there is a very visible difference between a broadcast in 1080i viewed on a 720p vs a 1080i/p set.

• Options

<< <i>there is a very visible difference between a broadcast in 1080i viewed on a 720p vs a 1080i/p set. >>

Not always true. Depends on the TV and the content:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/285388-720p-vs-1080i-which-is-best

Tabe
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Tabe, okay.

i was just referring to my 720 vs 1080 sets (old Sony LCD's) with a 1080 broadcast over cable comparing themimage
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... I'd go LCD or LED. >>

LED TV's are LCD. LED is a form of back lighting juxtaposed florescent. LCD is picture production through Liquid Crystal Diodes.