Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Intervention Session for "Buckwheat"

I read this text from another message entitled, "When a set gets...Recognized...Respected...Elite Status!!" written by someone who goes by "Buckwheat"

<< <i>I have been fortunate to have the money to spend on nice cards. Of course to get it, I had to add to my home equity line, sell 75% of my stock portfolio, and forgoe contributions to my 401K last year. I have spent 20-40 hours per week for the past year working on it, evaluating every 1961 Topps auction on Ebay, bidding against several other avid collectors while trying not to overpay, sending checks and maintaining records of thousands of auctions, buying and going through many thousands of ungraded cards, trading with a dozen other collectors, scouring the inventory of countless online and not online dealers etc. etc... This doesn't even count living with the ire of my wife and kids, giving up sleep and golf, and never being away from my computer for more than 24 hours. >>

Holy smokes fella! You need help! I'm sure there are some good 12 Step Programs in your area and if not, there's always the Betty Ford Clinic. As someone who is involved in financial planning, I'm going bonkers on this one!

But I'm sure I'm speaking for the majority here, and I want to make it clear that we care and I'm a firm believer in "Tough Love". You really need to step back and look at yourself.

Step #1 on the Twelve Step program states (revised for baseball cards):

<< <i>1. We admitted we were powerless over 1961 Baseball Cards - that our lives had become unmanageable. >>

Buckwheat, does this sound familiar? I welcome others to join me with this on-line Intervention Session.

Comments

• How can I when that would be on hypocrisy on my part?

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Zardoz,

True, very true!

Bubba,

Can you arrange to get us a group discount at the Betty Ford Clinic? image
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Bubba...

The term "tongue in cheek" comes to mind for half of all the stuff that is written on this board. And, I bet if you were able to average the demographics (age, annual income, education, financial holdings, etc.) that the results would be much higher than you'd imagine for a bunch of "baseball card guys".

Check out a few of the threads and you'll see not to take too much of what people say very seriously. Its a goofy place to talk about what can be a somewhat addictive hobby.

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I don't need any counselling. I only seek Global Domination of the '64 Topps Giants set. I plan to accomplish this by hypnotizing my competition with my '70 Kellogg's 3-D cards, and that's all.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>I only seek Global Domination of the '64 Topps Giants set >>

Reminds me of the Steve Martin Christmas skit on Saturday night live. Steve's Christmas wish list:

If he had one wish
    1. Peace on Earth

If he had two wishes
    2. All of the world's children to join hands and sing
    1. Peace on Earth

if he had three wishes
    3. $1,000,000 tax free income each week
    2. All of the world's children to join hands and sing
    1. Peace on Earth

if he had four wishes
    4. A month long orgasm once a year
    3. $1,000,000 tax free income each week
    2. The crap about the kids
    1. Peace on Earth

The only thing he was missing is

<< <i>Global Domination of the '64 Topps Giants set >>

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    GemMint> I have found the Jedi Mind Trick (tm) to be much more effective.

I use it any time I encounter hesitant traders, dealers with high prices, or anyone else I feel deserves it.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Thanks Mike! The Fab Five always comes through.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I someday hope to be reformed up to the level where Buckwheat currently finds himself.
    Buckwheat-bucks just doesn't have the same ring to it...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Buck-bucks aren't nearly as powerful as Vargha bucks.

And just to let you guys know that I am reforming, I only bid on 4 out of five of the PSA 9's that memorylane had up tonight. I will have to slowly wean. No cold turkey here.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• A 20% decrease at once can be dangerous. Take care!
  • I admit I am powerless over 1961 topps cards-that my life has become unmanageable!

I admit I am powerless over 1963 topps cards-that my life has become unmanageable!

I admit I am powerless over 1970 topps cards-that my life has become unmanageable!

I admit I am powerless over 1954 topps cards-that my life has become unmanageable!

Do any of you guys remember if I forgot a set or two, I'm feeling less in control of my life as I write...

Rob-BuckW-Bucks, I almost bid on the 21 in 9 but didn't want you to spend the extra dollar, we're
    helping you already.

Congrats!!!!100% on the killer of 61's

BTW, I think I'll need the 48 step program, unless I forgot a set, then the 60 will do.

just call me mx'er it's easier

John

Founder & President of the Keeping '64 Topps Giants Collectible Club
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • I should also add that 12-step programs rarely work. They have a recidivism rate of about 60%.

Well, now that I think about it, adding to our hopelessness may not have been such a good idea.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
    "Founder & President of the Keeping '64 Topps Giants Collectible Club" - LOL image

Pinhigh, I thought you were the leader of "The '64 Topps Giants Preservation Society", an organization dedicated to the fair and even distribution of high grade '64 Topps Giants.
  • Well, a name change was in order. Seems they wouldn't let me register that name. Something about having to have pictures of this new fowl breed that I was calling the '64 Topps Giants. I just thought it would be easier to change the name.

I must change my signature now.
    TOO FUNNY, great signature. LOL
  • Zardoz wrote:

<< <i>A 20% decrease at once can be dangerous. Take care! >>

I started to get some DT's, so I went ahead and bid on a few more cards.... this withdrawal may be tougher than I thought.

And another thought, Do I really want to listen to a financial planner named BUBBABEERBREATH?????

Buck

• Mx'er,

You realize that you must take a large portion of the blame for my addiction. As the pusher who hooked me on this, you will probably be arrested and charged with contributing to the delinquincy of a younger man!!

• Buck...

I take the 5th on that.

If I could afford an attorney, he'd be calling your's (if you could afford one).

BTW, I know an attorney that's trying to sell me some raw cards. Come to think of it he probably got
    them as part of a settelment.

mx'er

North American Man Card Love Association

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!

• << <i>This is sounding more like NAMCLA all the time.

North American Man Card Love Association

image >>

Frank,

Can I send you a membership application? image

Zardoz must have started the organization. I have to guess that he never sleeps as he is always either posting notes... or grading cards.

Buck

• Buck

,,,,and there's something wrong about this lifestyle?
  • Z,

Of course there is nothing wrong with this lifestyle. (Just don't ask my wife). Would you accept the nomination as President of NAMCLA?

Buck

The almighty Zardoz requires a more suitable and appropriate title than simply president.

I suggest "The being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship -- NAMCLA Despot."

But thats just a suggestion.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey