Home Sports Talk

Are the Charlotte Bobcats the worst team in NBA history? Yep!

We have the pleasure here in North Carolina of getting to "enjoy" telecasts of the Bobcats on our local cable system. I say telecasts, because nobody actually attends the games in person. The Hornets used to sell out seasons at a time. The Bobcats can't draw flies. The team is currently 4-31. Since the season is only 66 games, the Bobcats can't threaten the 76ers' record of 73 losses in a season. But don't tell them that. They are still trying!!! I didn't start watching the NBA until the 1974-75 season. Honestly, I don't watch a lot of it now. But, for those of you that remember the 76ers of 1972-73, they couldn't have been worse than this year's Bobcats, could they?

By the way, as I type, the Bobcats are down 16 to the Magic on the way to their 6th straight loss and 22nd loss in their last 23 games. The team actually opened up the season 2-5. That was their "hot streak".
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    that's sad, I can't comment as I've never watched any of their games image
  • I've lost a lot of interest in the NBA since 1997, 98.

The NBA now is like NBA lite, NBA D league. Oklahoma City??? To me the NBA is still the Seattle Supersonics. The fact that there's such a change between the Hornets and Bobcats in only what....10 years?, it shows how watered down the league has gotten.

What do people think of Jordan there?
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Jordan is essentially an absentee owner. He is a figurehead.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    When Shinn (Shinn was the owner of the Hornets and the driving force behind getting the expansion franchise) was here with the Hornets he wouldn't let the local stations televise the home games. Especially the games people really wanted to see like the Bulls and whoever else was hot back then. The games were always sold out and unless you knew someone with season tickets it was hard to see a game. Eventually people without season tickets lost interest in the Hornets and pro basketball in general. When the Hornets left, other than taking the name with them, people were glad to see them go. Well they were glad to see Shinn go.

The NHL was looking to expand about the time the Hornets came into being and made the statement that Charlotte would be a perfect fit for the NHL. Charlotte was always a good hockey town. Back in the 70's the Checkers of the old Southern Hockey League was one of the more stable teams in the league. The league folded around the Checkers. But anyway back to Shinn. Shinn would not let the city put ice making equipment in the Charlotte Coliseum for fear the NHL would come to town and steal some of his thunder. I don't remember what Shinn's argument for no ice making equipment was but he won. Ice doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. Anyway the NHL expanded to Raleigh, 200 miles away.

Shinn pretty much left a bad taste in everyone's mouth about the NBA and it shows now. Of course a winning team would remedy that problem.

Now to answer the question in the heading, if they ain't, they ought to be.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just can't score! They are leaning on Magette who's career per game total is probably less than 15! How can anyone expect a team to win when this is considered their "best" player?? And why in the world they ever agreed to the 9 Million Dollar deal for Boris Diaw??? imageimage Sorry man. I hate it because I was a Hornets fan back in the 90s. image
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minnesota Timberwolves are pretty bad as well, especially if you look at the entire history of futility.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jordan is essentially an absentee owner. He is a figurehead. >>

I actually think he's too involved with player personal decisions. Barkley just came out and blasted him on this very subject. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Perhaps. I guess I meant in the community. Jordan could draw so many great players to Charlotte and could do so much. He is from North Carolina, went to college at UNC, and owns North Carolina's only NBA team. He could bring in the very best. And Charlotte is a nice place to live too! But he doesn't. He doesn't bring in talent. He has very little interaction with the community. He's just there.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he will now let Chu do his job. It was a Piston's- Bobcat's game that made me rush for the remote. The Pistons are far from good but the Bobcat's made them look like the 2000 era Bulls..................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I saw Jordan is selling is mansion in Illinois so maybe he will be spending more time in NC and getting serious about his team!?

BTW, we have had some pretty bad teams here in Sac over the years.
    Charlotte picked up loss #50 this evening. This gives the Bobcats a 7-50 record. If they can hold on to lose their last nine games, they can break the 76ers record for worst percentage in league history. How bad are the Bobcats? Since I first posted, the Bobcats have had a record of 3-19. That's actually an improvement over their performance during the first 35 games.
    Charlotte has a tough one tonight. They play the 18 win Hornets. This is going to be a difficult game to lose. But, the Bobcats did lose a week ago by 28 points to the Wizards in Charlotte, so I think the guys can pull this one out. It isn't going to be easy, but I have faith in them. Going for the 15th loss in a row. If they can lose this one, the next two games are against the Bulls and the Grizzlies, so I think they should be able to beat the 16 game losing streak from earlier this season. With tough games against the Kings and Wizards still on the schedule, the Bobcats are really going to have to dig deep and play their very worst to keep the dream alive.
    Word on the street is that Tom Benson wants to get rid of the name "Hornets" in favor of something with a New Orleans flavor. The city of Charlotte always supported the Hornets, and most fans here would love the Hornets name and colors back. After an absolute mockery of a season, perhaps next year, a new name and colors might be just what the doctor ordered. Oh, and a new owner wouldn't hurt either.
    The Bobcats almost won against the Grizzlies a few nights ago. With a couple of minutes left in the third quarter, the Bobcats were up by 10 points. And the Grizzlies had most of their starters resting. But, the Bobcats pulled it out in the end to lose. The Sacramento game had me a little worried. The Kings are having a rough go of it this year. And the game was in Charlotte where the Bobcats have won 4 of their 7 games. The Bobcats were outscored by the Kings in each of the four quarters in route to a 20th straight loss. Tonight's game is at Washington. The Wizards are horrible. But, they are 3-0 against Charlotte. Hopefully the Wizards aren't resting their starters for the playoffs. Then, the team takes on Orlando (no Dwight Howard) and the Knicks. Three more games until immortality,
    If I may add a bit on the name Hornets and it's connection to Charlotte. Charlotte has had a baseball team in the past called the Hornets. Their World Football League team was named the Hornets, and their first NBA team also had that name. This goes back to Revolutionary War days. I didn't look this up to get all the facts just recalling a little local knowledge. At some battle during the Revolutionary War some general made the statement that those Mecklenburg (the county in which Charlotte is located) boys fight like like a nest of Hornets. This is why the name has been used so much in Charlotte. It is a matter of local pride only to have George Shinn and his NBA team run off to New Orleans and take the name with them.

If one needs more information the details can be Googled I'm sure.

Ron
    I'd be just fine with the Bobcats losing the last two, then having Jordan sell the team, and the new ownership renaming the team the Hornets. Then, win the draft lottery and get a certain young man from Kentucky to start the rebuilding process.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    if they are not, they are on the short list
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

The Bobcats made it close tonight against the Magic, but eventually the Magic drained enough 3-pointers (31 points from J.J. Reddick) to bury Charlotte. This means that tomorrow night's game against the Knicks will give the Bobcats a chance to be the worst team ever, percentage wise. Plus, the losing streak is currently 22. With a slow start next year, they could set the all-time losing streak record. Way to go MJ!!!
    The only mathematical way the Bobcats could be the worst was to lose the last 23 in a row. They stepped up and got it done. Sadly, this isn't a young team with a lot of talent that hasn't come together. There really isn't much to build on...
    We finally have an answer to this question. "YES."

Ron