Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Draft: Show Your Hand - Your The Owner

OK you own your favorite football team. What are you going to do in the draft? Drafts/trades/tradedowns whatever.

Im a Browns Fan so here is what I would do.

Been away awhile, but I have honestly come full circle in my thinking for the draft. At first I wanted Justin, then I got on this RGIII kick, dont get my wrong im still on it. But I have come back to my initial thinking.

In short, we draft Trent Richardson, and Justin Blackmon with our 2 first round picks. We stick with Colt and resign Hillis.

Now our first two picks will not be 4 and 22 we are going to have alot of suiters of RGIII if he is still there at 4 and I think he will be. We cant show our cards. Rams needs QB protection and will not pass up on a frachise tackle. Say RGIII is still there at 4 we trade down a few spots and pick up someone 1st next year. We draft TR and JB, if Colt dont work out, we have 2 first rounders next year to go after Matt Barkley.

We are nabbing two potential superstars in the first round and adding a first round pick in next years draft.
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Browns fan myself I would like to see Cleveland trade up in the draft. We always have a QB who could be good but fizzles out and the next guy who is almost adequate comes and goes. Apparantly the two top QBs in the draft are supposed to be the real deal. If that is true GO GET ONE OF THEM. Then work on quality linemen.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I understand your way of thinking, trust me. The QB position is transforming. RGIII could very well be something VERY special. That being said, JB, TR, Colt and Hills all lined up in orage and brown excites the hell out of me.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The interesting pick this year is the Rams #2 pick. We know the Colts will probably take Andrew Luck. What remains to be seen is if the Rams take RGIII (and trade Bradford) or do they trade with another team for players and/ or more draft picks.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand your way of thinking, trust me. The QB position is transforming. >>

Really? Who were the top QBs in the NFL last year? Lessee...

Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Matt Stafford
    Eli Manning
    Aaron Rodgers

Of those 5 guys, only Rogers is a mobile QB. And his mobility is all scrambling, never a designed run (basically).

So where was this transformation? Cam Newton? No question he had an amazing season - maybe the best rookie season ever by a QB - but one guy's success doesn't equal a position transforming. Other than Cam? There was...well...uh... Michael Vick? A second-tier QB that's led his teams nowhere?

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I understand your way of thinking, trust me. The QB position is transforming. >>

Really? Who were the top QBs in the NFL last year? Lessee...

Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Matt Stafford
    Eli Manning
    Aaron Rodgers

Of those 5 guys, only Rogers is a mobile QB. And his mobility is all scrambling, never a designed run (basically).

Tabe >>

I would expect a Detroit fan to want to argue. I think in 10 years we are going to see alot more of the Cam and RGIII type of QB's. Im not taking anything away from the ones you mentioned but I am saying the league is changing. Its not smash mouth football like the 70's thanks to the wussy rules now implimented. Like everything else football is evolving...again.

So, instead of coming here wanting to complain, why dont you do what the title says and talk about what you would like your team to do. OK? Good talk.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tabe, I agree with you. For the last several years I have been hearing about all these athletic type quarterbacks. The Vikings tried Tavaris Jackson and he WAS athletic but unimpressive as a quarterback against quality opponents. Culpepper had a couple of good years.

Michael Vick was going to revolutionize the position and he has not, of course he has had some other problems. JaMarcus Russell was another one along with Vince Young. Tebow had some success last year, but people sure seem to hate him as a QB

For the most part, a quarterback has little need as a runner, if he can "sidestep" a defensive lineman that's enough, as long as he can find the open receiver and get him the ball.

Other than Steve Young, I can't really think of a HOF caliber "running" QB, and if you look at his passer ratings, you would rather have him throwing.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Tabe, I agree with you. For the last several years I have been hearing about all these athletic type quarterbacks. The Vikings tried Tavaris Jackson and he WAS athletic but unimpressive as a quarterback against quality opponents. Culpepper had a couple of good years.

Michael Vick was going to revolutionize the position and he has not, of course he has had some other problems. JaMarcus Russell was another one along with Vince Young. Tebow had some success last year, but people sure seem to hate him as a QB

For the most part, a quarterback has little need as a runner, if he can "sidestep" a defensive lineman that's enough, as long as he can find the open receiver and get him the ball.

Other than Steve Young, I can't really think of a HOF caliber "running" QB, and if you look at his passer ratings, you would rather have him throwing.

Joe >>

You make some good points put I have one thing to say "IQ". Vick is an idiot. Russell, come on he is more concerned with clipping his toe nails than football. Cam has brains, as does RGIII. RGIII is one smart SOB. He has it going on in the head. You cant compare them.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll see.

I remember hearing Drew Brees obliterate the Gophers back in his college days and the way he picked us apart, I knew he would be a good one. He was not too highly regarded coming out of college.

I don't know if I would call it I.Q. or not, but a good quarterback has an ability to make good decisions in the heat of the game, not so much about athletic ability. Possibly people are looking for that "SuperQB" that has it all. Maybe it will be this RGlll.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Cam has brains >>

That has to be a joke. His first name was shortened to Cam so he could spell it correctly.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the owner. Sweet. Tryouts for cheerleaders start today!

The draft? I leave it up to Bill Belichick. He knows the team, knows the financials. Knows the window for victory is closing as Brady ages. I'll just sign the checks.
  • Options
    bears= WR!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I would expect a Detroit fan to want to argue. I think in 10 years we are going to see alot more of the Cam and RGIII type of QB's. Im not taking anything away from the ones you mentioned but I am saying the league is changing. Its not smash mouth football like the 70's thanks to the wussy rules now implimented. Like everything else football is evolving...again.

So, instead of coming here wanting to complain, why dont you do what the title says and talk about what you would like your team to do. OK? Good talk. >>

Who's complaining? Disagreeing with you is not complaining. You were the one who stated something that I refuted. The league has been "transforming" the QB position for a decade now, since the debut of Michael Vick. Before him, it was Randall Cunningham and Steve McNair. And where has it all led? Nowhere. No Super Bowl titles, though McNair came close. And he was much less of a runner after his first two years as a starter - so he evolved into being a NON-runner. You look around and the only "athletic" QB who's starting right now is Cam Newton, maybe Tebow if you're feeling generous. So 1 guy out of 32 means the position is "transforming"? Wouldn't you think after a decade of "transforming", we'd see more evidence of it? If the position was "transforming" as you say, wouldn't RGIII be the higher-rated prospect over Luck?

Get back to me in 5 years. If there's 8 "athletic" starting QBs, I'll gladly eat my words. Fortunately, I won't have to do that.

Tabe
  • Options
    To answer the original question, I would draft offensive linemen. The Lions need to protect the Franchise (Matt Stafford). And figure out a way to keep my RBs healthy.

Tabe
  • Options
    As the owner of the Minnesota Vikings, I take Kalil with the #3 pick. If Ponder has go through another season with the same offensive line, he might actually get killed in a game.

After that, I use every remaining pick on the best defensive back available. Just by the law of averages, a few of them would HAVE to turn out pretty good.

I would also use whatever cap space I have (sadly, this owner is not "into it" enough to know how much cap space I have) to sign the best free agent WR that was willing to play for me.

This is all assuming RGIII is the second pick. If for some reason RGIII does not go #2, then I would trade that pick to whichever owner offered me the best package of 2012 and 2013 early-round picks.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Redskins officially made RG3 the #2 pick over the weekend.

If I'm the Pats, now that the rookie wage scale is in place, I stop trading back, and start trading up if there is a stud sitting on the board at DB or DE in the middle of the first round. Their window is about 3 more years with Brady at the helm. Gotta put the pieces around him to give him at least 1 more shot at a Super Bowl. Especially in a quickly diminishing AFC.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Ram's fan I am just very happy with the move. Great move toward rebuilding. Since they have needs at practically every position it doesn't matter who they draft! image
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Ram's fan I am just very happy with the move. Great move toward rebuilding. Since they have needs at practically every position it doesn't matter who they draft! image >>

I am a Ram's fan as well and love the value we got for the #2 pick. The draft should go Luck, RG3, Kahlil, Blackmon, Claiborne then the Rams. If it follows this plan, the Rams may take Trent Richardson as the heir apparant for Steven Jackson. If for some reason the Browns take Trent Richardson (I sure hope they do), they will get either Blackmon or Claiborne.

With the the 33 and 39 pick, I would love for them to take Alshon Jeffrey with one of those picks. I am a huge South Carolina fan and have watched him in person a bunch. He is the real deal and a monster in the red zone. It would be awesome if they could get both Blackmon and Jeffrey as bookend WR's to help Bradford since he has had no one to throw to since he was at Oklahoma.

Of couse, the Rams could use help at OL, corner, safety, linebacker.....pretty much anywhere on the field. image

Either way, they have the opportunity to build a really good team over the next three years.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    O.K., since we are going talking about the draft only, the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets would draft Michael Floyd of the Notre Dame (thanks Navarro image) with the 16th pick. They are still thin at WR with Burress gone and it also gives them insurance if/when Santanio Holmes checks out again. I would also look for a right tackle, linebacker, or safety with their 2nd and 3rd round picks.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>O.K., since we are going talking about the draft only, the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets would draft Michael Floyd of the Notre Dame (thanks Navarro image) with the 16th pick. They are still thin at WR with Burress gone and it also gives them insurance if/when Santanio Holmes checks out again. I would also look for a right tackle, linebacker, or safety with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. >>

Can Tebow plat wide reciever?