Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another set Completed. 1974 Topps baseball.

This set is another I'm building in baseball from the years I collected as a kid. I wanted to do the set in PSA 8 or better. Last card needed was #309 Dave Roberts which I picked up in a 9. I remember going to PS 71 in the Bronx and flipping these cards in the school yard during lunch. My good friend at the time was Andrew Tom. His was the only Asian family in an Italian/Greek/Irish neighborhood and they owned a deli that sold the best egg rolls. Every morning he would grab a few rack packs from the counter on the way to school. I was great at flipping cards and the deal was he would "bankroll" me the cards. I would flip before school, after and during lunch. Whatever I won we split.
Being in the 6th grade, that was our last year of elementary school. Next fall we would be taking the bus to our Junior HS. We were still at that age where baseball cards and sports took precedence over girls. (Although I did have a huge crush on Toni Catalano. Probably because she "developed" earlier than the other girls)image
Looking at this set brings me back to those simple times. Now to finish some of the other sets and bring back more memories.
Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

Comments

• jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Great story! Much of the draw of collecting is borne of our ties to the time/product/team. Many think '81 Topps is a horrid design, but it was the first year I collected, and therefore, my favorite. Plus, objectively, it looks way better than '74.

Congrats on finishing your set!
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on finishing the set and love the story. I feel the same way about the 1980 Topps set.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the personal history in connection with your completion of this set--it adds a great visual part to the story! Congrats on finishing the set!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Frank. What's next?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice job!
    Good for you.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the set, anytime you can complete a set it's a good thing.
    Cool story as well image
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........I remember going to PS 71 in the Bronx.......... >>

Jarvis and Middletown. Probably bought your packs at Garbers. image
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Im trying to finish the 74 set and im at about 380 cards. Still got a while to go.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Ahkmed has a special place in his heart for the 74s!!! Congrats on a great set. The Fisk is my all time favorite card.
  • Jarvis and Middletown. Probably bought your packs at Garbers.

WOW! That's correct. Tony Janero was the "soda jerk" and later owner of the store. Carried wax, cellos, and rack packs. My friends deli was up Middletown Rd, closer to Westchester ave and the Middletwon subway stop. You have to PM your personal info to see if we have any mutual friends.

Dboneesq- I've been on a bit of a roll lately. I've been concentrating on finishing and upgrading my SP and SP Authentic football sets. All my sets are open for viewing, so in the case of baseball, if anyone has any PSA 8's to fill any holes, please PM me.

I've built my baseball sets from buying a few large lots to start the set, and than filling the holes. I want to sets in PSA 8 and will upgrade to 9's if there is not a big premium. When I finish another baseball set, I'll be sure to do a write up of my memories from that year.
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This set is another I'm building in baseball from the years I collected as a kid. I wanted to do the set in PSA 8 or better. Last card needed was #309 Dave Roberts which I picked up in a 9. I remember going to PS 71 in the Bronx and flipping these cards in the school yard during lunch. My good friend at the time was Andrew Tom. His was the only Asian family in an Italian/Greek/Irish neighborhood and they owned a deli that sold the best egg rolls. Every morning he would grab a few rack packs from the counter on the way to school. I was great at flipping cards and the deal was he would "bankroll" me the cards. I would flip before school, after and during lunch. Whatever I won we split.
    Being in the 6th grade, that was our last year of elementary school. Next fall we would be taking the bus to our Junior HS. We were still at that age where baseball cards and sports took precedence over girls. (Although I did have a huge crush on Toni Catalano. Probably because she "developed" earlier than the other girls)image
    Looking at this set brings me back to those simple times. Now to finish some of the other sets and bring back more memories. >>

So what ever became of Toni Catalano?image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You have to PM your personal info to see if we have any mutual friends.

I guarantee that's a mistake you're going to regret for years to come.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Frank!

Thanx for sharing the story! And congratulations on finishing the set!

I was PS 164 Kew Gardens Hills, Queens. Johnny Smith and Jeff Nelson. Crush: Carol Schiffman. It's amazing what we remember from so long ago? Favorite set: 59T. Favorite player: Duke Snider. Favorite team: Dodgers. Flipping ruled. Favorite game other than Little League - stickball with a pink Spalding ball - pronounced "Spaldeen"

Thanx for bring those great memories to the fore and again - congratulations on finishing a great set!

Mike
  • So what ever became of Toni Catalano?

She went to another junior high, never to be heard from again.image

But the cards lived onimage