Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB increases the number of Playoff teams to TEN.

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    Now can we cut down the number of times that teams get to pop the bubbley. When you clinch your division, Ok. When you win your league, Ok. When you win the world series, Ok. Tops three.

If you clinch a wildcard, no. When you win a divisional series, no. When you win the play-in game, no.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one to add excitement to the end of the season. Why not have the team in each league not otherwise in the playoffs get in as a wildcard by having the best record in September?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about any team that wins it's last regular season game gets into the playoffs?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Why not do as the NHL does ... EVERYONE gets in! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Amazing when you think about it just a few years ago it seems only 4 teams got in. So teams that had 100 wins stayed home.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    How about have 12 teams? Then have 3 play 6 in a best of 5 series and 4 play 5. Then the winners play the teams that rested. This would give the top two teams an incentive to keep winning (home field, bye week, chance to set up the pitching rotation, etc.). Basically the same format the NFL uses, except baseball style.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I really think we're going the wrong way with this. The baseball playoffs are turning into a crapshoot. I'm not saying the best regular season team should always win the World Series, but the postseason is becoming more and more about the team whose pitching staff gets hot at the right time. This play-in game (please let's not consider this a true "post-season" game, because it's not), just brings more variability to the post-season. Perhaps this is what Selig and MLB wants, but I think what's going to end up happening more often than not, is some schlep small-market team will beat the Red Sox or Yankees in the play-in game, and then MLB has lost one of their biggest markets for the post-season.

Just like everything else in his tenure, it's going to backfire on Bud big-time.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I never really thought of that. If they beat the Yankees then its ok.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or am I seeing a sense of deja vu? Here's what I mean:

1994 was the first year of the three divisions/wild card format. The year before, the Braves had to win 104 games in their division to comeback from being down 10 games in the standings to take the title away from the 103 Giants. That was one of the most exciting pennant races of all time, and it would turn out to be the last pennant race ever. With the three divisions/wild card format, that race would've never happened.

As for the new two wild cards in each league doing a "play-in game", what does that say about the exciting 2011 wild card races BOTH leagues had? Had this two wild cards thing been in place then, again, neither of those races would've been possible.

Though the new format does have it's advantages however. It makes the division titles more meaningful as the two wild cards first face a single elimination game before the playoffs proper. I'm presuming the wild card team with the better record than the "second wild card team" gets to host that "play-in game", right?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    It's another television thing for more air time and more money. Baseball doesn't like domed stadiums but keep extending their season to the point games are snowed out. Where will it all stop. It would suit me if all the teams in a league played for the top spot and the winner went to the Series like the old days. If it wasn't broke why did they try to fix it?

Ron

Edited to add: No I don't like the DH, No I don't like the League playoffs, No I don't like the wildcards.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's another television thing for more air time and more money. Baseball doesn't like domed stadiums but keep extending their season to the point games are snowed out. Where will it all stop. It would suit me if all the teams in a league played for the top spot and the winner went to the Series like the old days. If it wasn't broke why did they try to fix it?

Ron

Edited to add: No I don't like the DH, No I don't like the League playoffs, No I don't like the wildcards. >>

I like Bob Costas' suggestion in "Fair Ball" better; move the Houston Astros to the AL West (which as it turns out will happen next season) to even out the divisions, and have only the division winners qualify (NO wild cards) with the team with the best record in each league getting a bye as well as home field for the LCS, to face the winner of the second best division winner hosting the third (best of seven).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really think we're going the wrong way with this. The baseball playoffs are turning into a crapshoot. I'm not saying the best regular season team should always win the World Series, but the postseason is becoming more and more about the team whose pitching staff gets hot at the right time. This play-in game (please let's not consider this a true "post-season" game, because it's not), just brings more variability to the post-season. Perhaps this is what Selig and MLB wants, but I think what's going to end up happening more often than not, is some schlep small-market team will beat the Red Sox or Yankees in the play-in game, and then MLB has lost one of their biggest markets for the post-season.

Just like everything else in his tenure, it's going to backfire on Bud big-time. >>

excellent post

possibly one reason Atlanta was so strong in regular season but won only one WS (and umpiring that called a ball a ball when Glavin pitched)