Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Webstore - alternative to ebay???

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
Wow there are a lot of coins over there.

Personally I'm pretty pissed at eBay and looking for alternatives. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting the traffic they get is going to be tough.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of more

ebid.net and webidz.com

One is free and the other is a $50 lifetime fee.

As for volume you only need 1 buyer to make a sale.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is there?????

Is the question most people will say when you even think about there.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some are already using eBay to drive sales towards their websites.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>some are already using eBay to drive sales towards their websites. >>

Yep , it's as easy as putting a business card in with each purchase , ebay even obliges with free business cards via vistaprint in the banners.I started doing it a couple year ago and pretty much stoped selling on ebay last year. Im not high volume , more unique oddities , it's working for now.
  • Options
    TinyTiny Posts: 2,598

I have bought several coins off webstore.com They seem to have more raw coins than TPGs.
    Prices seem to be inline with the market and maybe some what lower. 1
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if the ANA or some other coin organization would get behind a competing venue, if it could gain some traction. No one want to throw a coin up for auction if they are not convinced that potential buyers would see it.

Recent posts about price increases on ebay and seller experiences on ebay have me very wary about using it to sell coins.
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    John Wexler has a site for selling coins, www.usacoinbook.com. No listing fees and 2% FVF. I don't know how much traffic this site gets but for no listing fees you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is ripening for a well-structured organization to bump eBay off their perch. eBay's own policy changes are eventually going to make this even more likely to happen. Free markets love choices. The best way to do this would be in a single, focused market area such as coins. Whoever does it best might really see something successful happen. As soon as someone is able to get it large enough to reach "critical mass", I'll be there.
  • Options
    A new ad for Great Collections popped up today, It seems like on the Legacy.Stack's website and it was appealing to buyers
    "why buy retail when you can purchase at auction prices" A thought came to me that its great for buyers but what about the sellers. However the more buyers that show the more inherent competion it foments, there net effect good for seller. Great Ad.

One thing for sure Ian is really advertising the site to boost registerd buyers, thats a good thing.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I've sold 10 coins over there (@webstore) so far. All common stuff, but ... not bad for free.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i think ebay will always have an edge
    it's just too established
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    JUST SIGNED UP!! image
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    meh. does not look like it is currently worth adding to the rotation of websites where I check for coins.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great
    Collections
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I use Webstore, hard to beat free! In time the volume will increase.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at Jacks store and like the idea. And noted that a couple of other on this page say they use it.
    Now for an idea that you guys might think about is to form a alliance for web linkage or cross linkages of your stores. In other words if I don't find what I am looking for on Jacks site then maybe it is over on spoolies or turbos site.
    Just an idle thought that you guys might want to think about and PM each other about.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill be checking out great collections, thats for sure
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I'm pretty pissed at eBay and looking for alternatives. >>

• Options
    Every time you think you got ebay's rules and fees figured out they add more. You can do everything right in a sale a be left a negative. Just happened to me (for the the first time), I agreed to take a coin back that I had listed with high res scans with a no return policy. Customer was disappointed with the coin and it cost him $2.00 to return. His listed reason for the negative...disappointed and the return shipping! Mind you this is a PCGS MS67 70+ year old coin. I don't have a problem with excepting returns, we all know pics don't always accurately reflect the coin. But a negative for $2 return shipping? Of course ebay does not allow any form of like kind negative for the precious buyer. Rant over, sign me up for the new venue.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    There's also Bonanza.

The secret to web success is advertising. The fact that most upstarts do little to none is an indicator of future oblivion. Ian at Great Collections 'gets it'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file