Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 1971 Topps card really worthy of a PSA 9?

Is it just me?

Between the upper right corner, the rough side edges and the light blue streaking/spotting near the red dot by the player name I am asking myself how
this card was given a PSA 9 grade.

I can see 8.5, but 9? Mint is supposed to be more or less perfect to the naked eye within centering tolerances. Given the
way PSA has extra review of lower pop star cards it's hard to understand how this one made it out of there in that slab.

Check out the link and zoom in on the image if you can't pick up the issues from this captured picture.

link

Dave

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this one of those things where an interested buyer speaks negatively about a card in order to scare away other potential bidders?

Just breaking balls... image

The '71 Brooks has always been my least favorite of his. Would love to own it in a 9 though!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks good to me
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>looks good to me >>

Compared to any of these three?

Dave
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upper right corner looks touched. I have a Killebrew that only got an 8.5 that looks much better, I guess it was this guys lucky day.

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me? Between the upper right corner, the rough side edges and the light blue streaking/spotting near the red dot by the player name I am asking myself how this card was given a PSA 9 grade. I can see 8.5, but 9? >>

I don't like the sides for a "9". Although it sold for many times what an 8.5 would sell for, it did sell for $1,000.00 less than the past two.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it just me? Between the upper right corner, the rough side edges and the light blue streaking/spotting near the red dot by the player name I am asking myself how this card was given a PSA 9 grade. I can see 8.5, but 9? >>

I don't like the sides for a "9". Although it sold for many times what an 8.5 would sell for, it did sell for $1,000.00 less than the past two. >>

Agree with Doug on sides.

Justin
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Who's the submitter?

If that's a 9, I have several 85T Football I'm ready to send in.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    This Killebrew 9 looks weak as well.

EBay auction # 260822007864

I never bothered to figure out how to do the link thing.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This Killebrew 9 looks weak as well.

EBay auction # 260822007864

I never bothered to figure out how to do the link thing.

Joe >>

PM sent explaining how to do it. I agree on the Killebrew. Between the snow and the white spot below the right ear this one says 8.5 to me all day.

And here is your link

link

Dave
  • Options
    Here's my Killebrew, the side borders look much darker in hand and the spot near the "W" in Twins was dirt on the scanner.

If the grade does not fit you must resubmit!

Had it on eBay for minimum bid of $199.00, and glad it didn't sell!

Joe
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Though I have since sold my 71 set, I have submitted a ton for grading. Based on my experience, there has been at least some tolerance for "rougness" on the borders. Treatment on corners was somewhat inconsistent based on my submissions; I had some cards I cracked and resubmitted that were bumped up 2 grades.

In the end, it is a very difficult issue to grade. If anything, it sends a reminder that grading is a very subjective practice subject to human imperfections. It happens!
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    My experience has been that rough cut edges are tolerated and normally do not affect the mint state of a card as long as the corners are not impacted. Obviously these issues stand out on 1971 Topps baseball or on other solid color edges such the as on the 1963 Topps baseball.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    If the same grader gets my sub of '71's yesterday then I'll be very happy. About 2/3 of the 108 I sent in look better than that Brooks.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Regarding the scans of the other three. The top and bottom cards are awesome. As for the auction that just ended, it's nice, but I'm not sure if it's 9 nice. Either way, 71 Brooks Robinson's are TOUGH, would love to own any of them.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.