Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    thanks, how do you do it?
    70's and 80's baseball cards
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    what's the point?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    who crapped in your wheaties bro?
  • Options

<< <i>who crapped in your wheaties bro? >>

no one, just trying to figure out what the purpose of the post was

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    to see how much it sells for would be my only guess but really i have no clue.
  • Options

<< <i>to see how much it sells for would be my only guess but really i have no clue. >>

obviously bro

IMF
  • Options
    Are you guys brothers?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    no, but im guessing his wife sold his cal ripken collection for a subscription to "Gardening Magazine"
  • Options
    $1,526.99
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options

<< <i>no, but im guessing his wife sold his cal ripken collection for a subscription to "Gardening Magazine" >>

good comeback bro

IMF
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>no, but im guessing his wife sold his cal ripken collection for a subscription to "Gardening Magazine" >>

good comeback bro
    thanks, bro
    IMF >>

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Twenty of them sold since January 10th... with MANY more to follow from 4SC.

(bro)
  • Options
    I got one before they skyrocketed....
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    I'm glad you got one! It's really weird how they're selling like hotcakes right now, especially since 4SC had SIXTY PSA 10s pop last month. I was hoping the cost/value would drop a bit, but it seems to be having an opposite effect.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Chillax bros, hug it out.
  • Options
    I think they'll be okay... someone probably had too much Red Bull.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they'll be okay... someone probably had too much Red Bull. >>

I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting for redbull's next post

IMF
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal Ripken PSA 10

With the large uptick in the population of 10's in the past few years this is very impressive.

Talk about a liquid card.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Cal Ripken PSA 10
    With the large uptick in the population of 10's in the past few years this is very impressive.
    Talk about a liquid card. >>

Sold for $1,400.00, about the average VCP ($1,358.00). Did the seller REALLY have to charge $1.99 for shipping? image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cal Ripken PSA 10
    Talk about a liquid card. >>

Sold for $1,400.00, about the average VCP ($1,358.00). Did the seller REALLY have to charge $1.99 for shipping? image >>

After the 4SC hoard hit this dropped back to the $1,100 range. I think it is very impressive that it has moved back up. If my memory serves me they hit at least 70 in one sub.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    60? as in six zero? where are the conspiracy theorists...
  • Options
    Dave, looks like they had about 60 "10s" POP early in 2012. The prices the past couple months have been all over the place.

9/11/14 ... $1,136.00
    9/11/14 ... $1,225.00
    9/01/14 ... $1,725.00
    8/17/14 ... $1,296.01
    8/12/14 ... $1,575.00
    7/17/14 ... $1,200.00
    7/15/14 ... $1,350.00
    7/14/14 ... $1,300.00
    7/13/14 ... $1,913.00
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave, looks like they had about 60 "10s" POP early in 2012. The prices the past couple months have been all over the place.

9/11/14 ... $1,136.00
    9/11/14 ... $1,225.00
    9/01/14 ... $1,725.00
    8/17/14 ... $1,296.01
    8/12/14 ... $1,575.00
    7/17/14 ... $1,200.00
    7/15/14 ... $1,350.00
    7/14/14 ... $1,300.00
    7/13/14 ... $1,913.00 >>

I knew I was close. They kept putting them on EBAY constantly.

The pop grew by a huge percentage with their sub but when a card is truly liquid the market can absorb it. Very few cards could handle that kind of pop increase and hold their value.

A truly iconic card.

• Options
    Funny you brought that card up David. I also was looking at that same listing and thinking to myself how this card still continues to climb and has remained a staple amongst collectors today. It is certainly THEE card to get from the 80's at the moment that is relatively still affordable for most collectors. Maybe be fact that Cal is now also co-announcing the Orioles playoffs games, he is probably on people minds again as of late. I for one want that card in a 10 and it is on my to get list.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe be fact that Cal is now also co-announcing the Orioles playoffs games, he is probably on people minds again as of late. I for one want that card in a 10 and it is on my to get list. >>

Buy it in a "9" for 10-15% of the price of a "10". If they were not in the holders you probably couldn't tell the difference between a hi end "9" and a low end "10".
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Very true Doug but if I were to sell my copy of a 10 in a few years, I'm bound to make more off my 10 than a 9. The fact is the the prices of 9's (for most cards like the Henderson or the Pujols rookies) don't really fluctuate in price and actually stay the same for years were you are bound to see more movement in a 10.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked the 82 "hockey stick" design on the front. And of course the white borders.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>Very true Doug but if I were to sell my copy of a 10 in a few years, I'm bound to make more off my 10 than a 9. The fact is the the prices of 9's (for most cards like the Henderson or the Pujols rookies) don't really fluctuate in price and actually stay the same for years were you are bound to see more movement in a 10. >>

Marc ... Was thinking you were just buying for your PC and not as an investment. I agree that MOST TIMES, especially with modern, that the "10" would be the way to go if you were looking for appreciation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny you brought that card up David. I also was looking at that same listing and thinking to myself how this card still continues to climb and has remained a staple amongst collectors today. It is certainly THEE card to get from the 80's at the moment that is relatively still affordable for most collectors. Maybe be fact that Cal is now also co-announcing the Orioles playoffs games, he is probably on people minds again as of late. I for one want that card in a 10 and it is on my to get list. >>

I love Cal and hate to bash him but I haven't been a fan of his in the current MLB playoffs.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Funny you brought that card up David. I also was looking at that same listing and thinking to myself how this card still continues to climb and has remained a staple amongst collectors today. It is certainly THEE card to get from the 80's at the moment that is relatively still affordable for most collectors. Maybe be fact that Cal is now also co-announcing the Orioles playoffs games, he is probably on people minds again as of late. I for one want that card in a 10 and it is on my to get list. >>

I love Cal and hate to bash him but I haven't been a fan of his in the current MLB playoffs. >>

He doesn't really add anything insightful. Puts me to sleep.

Ron Darling is knowledgeable but gives too much insight. He analyzes everything. Most stuff everyone already knows. I want a little more entertainment with my commentary.

Smoltz is a 10x better color analyst. More entertaining than Ripken and Darling put together.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy it in a "9" for 10-15% of the price of a "10". If they were not in the holders you probably couldn't tell the difference between a hi end "9" and a low end "10". >>

Precisely.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very true Doug but if I were to sell my copy of a 10 in a few years, I'm bound to make more off my 10 than a 9. The fact is the the prices of 9's (for most cards like the Henderson or the Pujols rookies) don't really fluctuate in price and actually stay the same for years were you are bound to see more movement in a 10. >>

True, but if you spend under $300 on the beautiful 9, it's a card you can keep forever (that is or looks identical to a 10) and not ever have to worry about having to sell because it represents a big amount of your money. Also, how much is the 10 Ripken Traded really appreciating before you sell it? There are cases upon cases out there, and we saw what 4SC did. It's probably not going to yield a game-changing profit on resale in a few years.

If you like the card and want one to keep for good in your collection, the high-end 9 costs less and does not become a big money investment that one has to sweat the performance of.

Not to mention, if the time comes where you do want to sell and you bought the card-- a high end 9 that is GEM MT-- you can review it or crack it and sub it raw for a 10 and then upon success make the most money, if resale is definitely the goal-- way more than had you bought the 10 initially.

Then there's the added fun of the hunt for a 9 that is a 10, and more fun when or if you have that successful review. Even if it takes a few times, the cost is still better.

Instagram: mattyc_collection