Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buying habits,

Do you buy coins for your collection that you would be afraid to remove from the holder for fear of not getting it back in a holder if you wanted? Do you pass on coins that you like because they are raw? I just stay away from coins that have obvious cleaning marks,whizzed ect, or wickedly toned. I looked at my collection last night, and I really like the way it is shaping up. I have a complete set of franklins in mint state, my barber dime set is lacking only the 96-S & 95-O, In EF-AU. and my mercury dime set is lacking 12 coins, EF- GEM. I just started on my jefferson nickel set. and I have about 50 different seated,morgans flying eagle ect. I buy coins certified and then break them out to put in the albums, or raw coins. I stick with 2 or 3 dealers that I trust. Anyway I just bought a coin on e-bay certified, that my gut tells me something may be going on under the toning, so I am just going to send it back. I want to know some other folks approach to buying,and collecting coins. Thanks.
coolbreeze

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your collection is off and running.
    If your dropping 4 or more figures on coins then it is better to buy them in plastic or from someone you trust. If you can view the coin in person and trust your grading skills then the plastic is only something blocking your real view of the coin.
    I am a collector first and don't really spend ANY money on coins I need for anything else. It is my hobby. So I don't really care if a coin is in plastic or not. I have put together a few albums that contain many ex-slabbed coins. In fact I will throw up a pic of my Frankie set that is made up entirely of cracked rattlers and old NGC slabs, all gem and better if I remember correctly, that I put together in the 80's. Today if I buy a coin in a slab I usually leave it in the slab because I am not putting any albums together these days, but if that changes I have no problem cracking again.
    Now frequently counterfeited coins like the 55 DDO I will buy slabbed and keep slabbed as a general rule, but my collection is my collection.
    I will probably leave my coins to my kids or maybe sell them someday, but I really am a collector first.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have removed numerous coins from their NGC or PCGS slabs (some had green beans too). I also buy raw large cents and U. S. mint medals. I also buy slabbed coins. As long as I am satisfied that the quality is there, I am a buyer if it's something I want and I think that the price is reasonable.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be incorrect, but JRocco, do you realize you have several proofs in that album? Namely the 52, 53 and 55?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i avoid coins that if cracked out... aint never goin back in
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could be incorrect, but JRocco, do you realize you have several proofs in that album? Namely the 52, 53 and 55? >>

Yes those are proofs. I put together this album with both MS and PF coins.
    I always kept an eye out for cameos back then as I liked them. Here are a couple for example that never saw the vise.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, JRocco !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you pass on coins that you like because they are raw? I >>

All the time don't even bother searching them.

Burnt too many times to call it dues now.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple times I have glanced at the title of this thread and saw, "Buying hobbits".

I buy slabbed and unslabbed, stickered and unstickered, etc. Depends a lot on coin, price, and role in the collection.
  • Options

<< <i>A couple times I have glanced at the title of this thread and saw, "Buying hobbits".

I buy slabbed and unslabbed, stickered and unstickered, etc. Depends a lot on coin, price, and role in the collection. >>

I really need to learn how to spell, maybe breakout the kid's old hooked on phonics.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    I try to buy certified coins only these days ( NGC and PCGS) . With all the counterfeiting, doctoring, cleaning, AT and everything else going on the TPG at least you have another opinion and a gurantee.I have been a collector for several years but for some reason I just don't have the confidence or maybe skill that others have to avoid some of the pitfalls.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i like raw sets in lil capital holders...nice side by side like 17' or 37' unc's
    i had to have a raw lil toner set too

not too much cracking out here...crossing yeah...

but my true core will be in my pcgs holdered choice type from moose type toners to...
    got to have an ihc proof-matte lincoln & buff...then a brilliant buff by the merc-walker & cam wheatie
    they just select key dates
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's illegal to buy, sell, or own hobbits. image

It's really fun to see an album full of nice BU (or PR) coins. It's a rare sight nowdays.

I'm putting together a Dansco set of Walkers in circulated grades. There is everything from G to BU in the thing. I've picked all of out the common dates from bullion lots upgrading as I go, but I'm buying the keys in slabs. My personal rule is anything worth more than about $100 deserves a second opinion at least for authentication. I've had enough surprises. I'm really, really tempted to liberate these coins from their little coffins to make the set look complete. I do worry a bit about taking a slight hit on the eventual resale value though. These aren't even anything fancy - just heavily circulated examples of the 16-D, 16-S, 17-D obv, 21, 21-D, 21-S, and the 38-D. It's annoying to see the holes in the album even if I do have the coins in slabs. BTW, it's amazing how well Walkers hold up with heavy wear.

I'm pretty darn sure these coins would go back in slabs just fine, but still the grading fees before resale would eat up a large percentage of the resale value. I'm also not positive that I won't start upgrading this set once I get it done. Still, I'm secretly hoping for a moment of weakness with a vise, a saw, and a 100% full album.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file