Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS will now recognize business strikes of the 1841 quarter eagle

Surprised that I didn't see this posted yet (or I just missed it)...

PCGS announced yesterday that effective immediately it will recognize certain examples of the 1841 quarter eagle as business strikes.

New's is on the main page, including a special report and register of known examples.

Stack's Bowers has the first on in their rarities auction this Baltimore show:

Link

What do you guys think?

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I can send in that roll that I have.image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Now I can send in that roll that I have.image >>

Me too image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet the consignee wished PCGS didn't announce it until after the S/B auction image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and it's the next Collector's Club special.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bet the consignee wished PCGS didn't announce it until after the S/B auction image >>

Not necessarily. Someone doing a date/mm set of QEs (not proofs) now has another one they need. It's a small number of collectors, probably you can count them one hand, but they are likely all capable of reaching for the coin.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    BroadStruck: << < Bet the consignee wished PCGS didn't announce it until after the S/B auction >>

CoinOsaurus: <<Not necessarily. Someone doing a date/mm set of [business strike Liberty Head Quarter Eagles]now has another one they need.>>

I was figuring that Broadstruck was joking. For reasons I explain in the article referenced below, this new PCGS policy is likely to cause prices for all 1841 Quarter Eagles to be higher than prices would be otherwise.

That being said, the price realized of $105,800 is not strong. This coin, however, is not an ideal test case. It has issues. I do believe, however, that, if bidders were really convinced that it was a genuine business strike, it would have sold for more.

The Controversy over 1841 Quarter Eagles, Part 1

Not Yet Famous 1864 Quarter Eagles
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BroadStruck: << < Bet the consignee wished PCGS didn't announce it until after the S/B auction >>

CoinOsaurus: <<Not necessarily. Someone doing a date/mm set of [business strike Liberty Head Quarter Eagles]now has another one they need.>>

I was figuring that Broadstruck was joking. For reasons I explain in the article referenced below, this new PCGS policy is likely to cause prices for all 1841 Quarter Eagles to be higher than prices would be otherwise.

That being said, the price realized of $105,800 is not strong. This coin, however, is not an ideal test case. It has issues. I do believe, however, that, if bidders were really convinced that it was a genuine business strike, it would have sold for more. >>

Defiantly not ideal as that example possessed three major obverse/reverse scratches.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    I hypothesize that there war far more coin collectors in the 1840s than anyone has previously indicated. The number of coin collectors and their interests relate to demand for 1841 Quarter Eagles in 1841.

Part 2, Casual Collecting in the 1840s

The Controversy over 1841 Quarter Eagles, Part 1
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file