Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

picked up my first doily yesterday!

Was at the dealer yesterday looking through bullion, only found an old 2 oz. bar to buy at spot so went to look through his display cases.

I looked through the dimes and quarters but nothing caught my eye, then I went to the halves and dollars and immediately spotted a Morgan dollar in an old PCGS Doily holder.
The coin was an 1886 in MS-64 with very clean fields and nice luster. Normally I don't collect Morgan dollars but I wanted to add a Doily to my collection, I asked him the price and he quoted me $90 which was $12 over greysheet so I bought the coin. The coin is very high end and I think it could easily grade 65 but it will sit in the Doily until the day I die.
I know everyone here will want me to take pictures but I don't have a digital camera and I wouldn't know how to post it if I did.

Fo inquiring minds the serial # is: 7166 64/7303471

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all fine and dandy, but did the dude have any No Motto $10's in OGHs? image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're very happy
    with your purchase !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    That's a really good price. Is the outer ring in tacked? Irregardless, you did good.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's all fine and dandy, but did the dude have any No Motto $10's in OGHs? image >>

AhHa ! So you're the one who has been quietly scarfing these up! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that's a steal - congrats! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Great price! Congrats!!!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first doily was the same type of scenario.
    Except the outer ring was cracked and the morgan was overgraded. image

It was super cheap though... I was happy with it until a nicer one came along. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>That's all fine and dandy, but did the dude have any No Motto $10's in OGHs? image >>

RYK, that is a different dealer.image
  • Options

<< <i>My first doily was the same type of scenario.
    Except the outer ring was cracked and the morgan was overgraded. image

It was super cheap though... I was happy with it until a nicer one came along. Congrats! >>

The slab is intact and has no scratching on the outside so the coin is crystal clear, as an added bonus the coin is white without the washed out look so many have and has hardly any marks.
    The front is essentially mark free with a totally clean face and the reverse has only one small mark just to the right of the arrowpoints beneath the wing.
    I have looked for a doily for a couple years so it was great to find one with upgrade potential. Now all I need is to find a black NGC holdered coin, at least I can dream about such a find.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a cheap 2.0 holder at a local show Sunday that was PRISTINE.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a really good price. Is the outer ring in tacked? Irregardless, you did good. >>

Intact and regardless......

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file