Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay's NEW Return policy - May 2012

Went to relist items today and got this message:

In May 2012, we are updating our requirements for return policies. As a result, you’ll have increase the minimum time you’ll accept returns to either 14, 30 or 60 days. You will no longer be able to offer 3- or 7-day return windows.
In May 2012, we are updating our requirements for return policies. After that, the only refund methods allowed will be "money back" and "money back or exchange".
In May 2012, we will update the return policies so the only refund methods allowed will be "money back" and "money back or exchange".

Especially in sportscard, I can see buyer's remorse, "reserving until I find a better deal" or non flipped items returned. Just an example, Stephen Strasburg or Jeremy Lin.

14 days? Really. Can I go to a card shop and return items?

How will you guys (Sellers) handle this when the time comes and what impact will it have.

Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was another thread about this topic. I guess people can now buy raw cards on eBay, submit them for grading and then return them to the seller if they don't get the grade they want.
  • Options
    But, honestly, how often does that happen? Those who do that will quickly get a bad reputation, especially on sites like this, and no one will deal with them.
    I collect PSA graded New Your/San Francisco Giants baseball cards.

My PSA Registry Sets
  • Options
    I had a buyer purchase a high end tom brady RC card for over $1000 right before the Super Bowl...
    then he returned the card after the game...
    this kind of stuff will always happen...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. What a di$k move on the Brady.
    He wanted to be guaranteed to make a profit and of course F the seller I dont want to lose money, He should.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a buyer purchase a high end tom brady RC card for over $1000 right before the Super Bowl...
    this kind of stuff will always happen... >>

I thought that a buyer can only return a item if it's "not as described". If the Brady was graded or described accurately then cant you deny a refund for buyers remorse?
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I had a buyer purchase a high end tom brady RC card for over $1000 right before the Super Bowl...

I thought that a buyer can only return a item if it's "not as described". If the Brady was graded or described accurately then cant you deny a refund for buyers remorse? >>

Well if the buyer wants to lie and say the item is not as described you have no choice but to take it back. This happens all the time. Not sure if Probstein has a return policy also though or not but a shady buyer can get a refund pretty much everytime already.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think eBay needs to implement a 20 year minimum return policy. That way buyers can hoard RCs when they are issued and then return them if the player doesn't make the HOF.
  • Options
    I had a guy ask for 25.00 because he listed the item for sale and it was going for 40.00 lower than what he paid me for it. The auction was also not even over. He didnt want to take a lose is what he said.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought that a buyer can only return a item if it's "not as described". If the Brady was graded or described accurately then cant you deny a refund for buyers remorse? >>

Well if the buyer wants to lie and say the item is not as described you have no choice but to take it back. This happens all the time. Not sure if Probstein has a return policy also though or not but a shady buyer can get a refund pretty much everytime already. >>

Well that's just B.S.image I guess it's just best to stick with selling cards of players who's careers are over with.
  • Options

<< <i>I think eBay needs to implement a 20 year minimum return policy. That way buyers can hoard RCs when they are issued and then return them if the player doesn't make the HOF. >>

I laughed.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Ebay should also make the sellers pay the buyers interest for the time the they had there money. Coming soon I bet!
  • Options

Please give us his username so we can block this douche.
  • Options
    the brady was graded a psa 10...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>the brady was graded a psa 10... >>

i bet he woulda kept if he thought it would get a BVG 11.
  • Options
    Rick, please feel free to post that buyers id here. I'd like to block them.
    Or please PM me their id. People that pull that kind of weaselly BS need to
    be outed.

Thank you!
  • Options
    This new ebay policy is not a big deal to me. I currently have a 7 day no questions ask return policy. I'll just have to change it to 14 day. Not a big deal. I'll probably have to process a few more returns, but oh well. The thing is for my returns, the buyer has to pay return shipping, so there is still that deterrent. About returns, hey, Costco basically has an unlimited return policy. I've returned things a couple of years old that I forgot to use and didn't even have the receipt, and I still got cash back. Now that's a liberal return policy! Just wait until ebay requires that.
  • Options

<< <i>Rick, please feel free to post that buyers id here. I'd like to block them.
    Or please PM me their id. People that pull that kind of weaselly BS need to
    be outed.

Thank you! >>

I would not be surprised if Ebay does away with the blocked bidder lists in the future as they would not want to do anything that might cost them a dollar or two, like limiting the number of bidders, even if they are scammers or deadbeats.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if ebay either tracked returns or allowed feedback removal on those transactions. Scammers would like this too I guess. My understanding is that some scammers build up a bunch of positives before they turn to the dark side and lure people in with false positives. With returns, they could build up a track record with many positives and/or allow them to "sell" the cards they no longer have but it appears they do based on their purchases.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    This new ebay policy is not a big deal to me. I currently have a 7 day no questions ask return policy. I'll just have to change it to 14 day. Not a big deal. I'll probably have to process a few more returns, but oh well. The thing is for my returns, the buyer has to pay return shipping, so there is still that deterrent.

The worst thing about returns on graded cards is that many buyers take no care in packaging. You send it to them well packed in a box or bubble envelope with cardboard added for protection from breaking, and you'll get it back sometimes in something as flimsy as a PWE. It will be interesting to see how Ebay handles who's responsible when a return is destroyed due to poor packaging.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This new ebay policy is not a big deal to me. I currently have a 7 day no questions ask return policy. I'll just have to change it to 14 day. Not a big deal. I'll probably have to process a few more returns, but oh well. The thing is for my returns, the buyer has to pay return shipping, so there is still that deterrent.

The worst thing about returns on graded cards is that many buyers take no care in packaging. You send it to them well packed in a box or bubble envelope with cardboard added for protection from breaking, and you'll get it back sometimes in something as flimsy as a PWE. It will be interesting to see how Ebay handles who's responsible when a return is destroyed due to poor packaging. >>

As long as there is a piece of mail with tracking back to the seller from the buyer, and it is delivered, the buyer will get his/her money back. It does not matter if the item is in its original condition, or even if the original item is in there at all.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It should then be a requirement that insurance be automatically added when the returner uses Ebay to print their return shipping label. When I shipped it I was 100% responsible for insuring the item got to the buyer undamaged. The returner who is now the shipper should be required to bear the same responsibility of insuring the seller gets the item back undamaged.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Will Ebay also require this policy for all sales, including precious metals? I can see people abusing the return policy to speculate in the gold or silver markets. Buy and return if the price drops, keep if it rises.