Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why Coin Dealers Drink, Part CCCXCV

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
As you probably noticed, metals splunged today. Over on my old dealer-to-dealer network, several dealers are reporting that people who got quotes on what they could sell stuff to the dealers at yesterday are trying to get those prices today. Here's one example:

"First guy in the door today wanted to know if I was
prepared to honor my quote from yesterday - LOL.
Reminded him that I told him yesterday that my quote
was good right until he walked out the door - and
of course his response to that was "So then you DON'T
honor your quotes!" - of course, he was selling, not
buying. Told him to call his broker and see if he'd
honor that $100/share quote on Apple he got a few years
back..."

The dealer haters may now explain why this makes the dealer evil.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    too bad you don't get guys like that when silver spikes up a lot from the previous day!
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Tell us about the guys beating down your door to BUY at yesterday's price.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    The dealer could say: "Well -- I will honor my sell prices from yesterday. How many ounces can I put you down for?"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evil dealer! Run him out of town!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, it takes all kinds.

Same people want an "A" for effort even though they got all the answers wrong on the test. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I don't know why you dealers have to make a profit anyway, you get to see all them wonderful coins pass thru your hands, that should be enough!!image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make em evil. just a smart a$$
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers drink because they are
    celebrating that metal prices
    went up. They also drink because
    they are depressed that metal prices
    went down !!! Go figure !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    metals splunged today

Man - you weren't joking! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Told him to call his broker and see if he'dhonor that $100/share quote on Apple he got a few years
    back..."
    >>

Easily a Top 5 candidate for best comeback ever.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>metals splunged today

Man - you weren't joking! image >>

I did not know until I read this thread. image
  • Options
    I want to renegotiate yesterdays BST deal. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I did not know until I read this thread. image >>

Definitely not joking!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dealer haters may now explain why this makes the dealer evil. >>

The dealer was evil to begin with, and is still evil, not honoring his quote doesn't make any difference image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed a lot of "Why coin dealers drink..." threads, but never a what coin dealers drink thread.

What do they drink?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I did not know until I read this thread. image >>

Have no fear. The government still printed a billion dollars of currency today anyway.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've noticed a lot of "Why coin dealers drink..." threads, but never a what coin dealers drink thread.

What do they drink? >>

The blood of a baby goat. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Rollsearcher, that's my '61 Rainbow. I love seeing my old icons in use.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've noticed a lot of "Why coin dealers drink..." threads, but never a what coin dealers drink thread.

What do they drink? >>

The blood of a baby goat. MJ >>

I heard it was baby seals flown in freshly clubbed, but shhhhhh we don't want them to know we hate them. They have a drinking problem.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file