Home Precious Metals
Options

Did Peter Schiff cut his brother's bonus?

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sure looks that way. And he cant make it on only $350k/ year. Pete's company not doing well?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/wall-street-bonus-withdrawal-means-trading-aspen-for-cheap-chex.html
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one less one percenter is a good thing.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's entitlement mentality at all levels.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HA! Booo freakin hoo.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I read it first thing this morning and kept looking for the part where it said it was an article from the Onion.

I think the thesis of the article was that relative cuts in pay are tough emotionally, but I think there are much better ways to present that argument.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    It's all perspective. Every rung on the wealty ladder is effected during deep recessions.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    How incredibly typical of our rich "betters". image
  • Options
    Maybe he should buy that house he wants in Baleyville. image

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will ask his mom. Trust me, she will know.

edit
    Just spoke to her. She didn't know. Response.

Sh!t. Peter is going to kill him

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I would think that Peter would not be happy with an article like that
  • Options

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People who have nothing to eat, no job, and are about to be tossed out of their homes in foreclosure, really do not know what stress is. >>

But the problem is they arent being thrown out of their homes, they are living right alongside of all the hardworking individuals paying their 2-3k (incl taxes) mortgages.........and they arent paying.

They arent paying for years. Sometimes as many as 4 years.

Those people are still enjoying their cars, vacations, etc, but not paying their upside down mortgages.

So even though I dont have sympathy for the guy making a million a year who just got cut to 750k, I also dont have sympathy for those losers who live in nice homes and dont pay - and also those who "cheat" and dont have the majority of their earnings as W2, who apply for all the financial aid, foodstamps, etc and get it when there are truly poor people who need help.

The real tough spot to be in - neither rich or poor. Right in the middle. It is a different level of hh income in different parts of the country - here in the NYC area it has to be around 80-120k hh per year. Good luck with that - you might as well quit your job and divorce your wife when your kids are approaching college age....you will do much better sitting on your lawn chair in your yard.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe he should buy that house he wants in Baleyville. image >>

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in this context. Is the subject of this thread somehow my fault? If so, I apologize.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    It was a reference to his wanting to buy a house but being unable to due to his particular economic woes and to the forum's earlier references of the ficticious Baleyville having escaped the economic crisis. No disrespect intended and if viewed as such, my deepest apolologies. Will try to refrain from further insensitve Baleyville references.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will ask his mom. Trust me, she will know.

edit
    Just spoke to her. She didn't know. Response.

Sh!t. Peter is going to kill him

MJ[/q

Wouldn't that suck when your brother/employee cranks his yapper up to a reporter about his lack of appropriate income!

I would imagine Peter would be peeved considering he works very hard at remaining above the wall street level of narcissistic entitlement.

Thanks for the contact, MJ. I still love the pic of you and the Schiff family!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe he should buy that house he wants in Baleyville. image >>

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in this context. Is the subject of this thread somehow my fault? If so, I apologize.

<< <i>It was a reference to his wanting to buy a house but being unable to due to his particular economic woes and to the forum's earlier references of the ficticious Baleyville having escaped the economic crisis. No disrespect intended and if viewed as such, my deepest apolologies. Will try to refrain from further insensitve Baleyville references. >>

Oh, no offense taken on this end! I mentioned to some happy, successful friends and neighbors --all of who have prospered in the past decade and experienced the "economic CRISIS!" as mostly a change in numbers on spreadsheets that are now far higher than where they started-- that some bitter and cynical old guys on a PM forum think that we are imaginary.. they laughed and clinked glasses in the shade of the big tree out front, smiled at the kids playing, and saluted the flag blowing in the breeze, "Let's keep it that way!"

PS: it sounds like the Schiffs have, what's sometimes referred to, as "rich dudes' problems"

Reading that list of "complaints", it strikes me as ironic that, while they wouldn't get caught dead in "Baleyville," which is inhabited by "millionaire next door" types living in nice but modest homes and driving well-maintained 10 year old cars and apparently, living much better than Poor Schiff the Younger with all his "stress." Did you, or better, they, read the commments under the article? Half of the respondants appear to be living in their own ____-villes and take the article the same way, "get real!"

Anyway, I now understand your reference, thanks, and as usual, it seems we're saying the same thing in different ways. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...search "Baleyville sign" and see what comes up. You might recognize a couple of the links. Life is good in Baleyville.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My car is 15 years old, but it is well-maintained. It's "an oldie but a goodie". (oblique reference made to good times).

As I've stated before, I'd much prefer moving back to Baleyville.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>My car is 15 years old, but it is well-maintained. It's "an oldie but a goodie". (oblique reference made to good times).

As I've stated before, I'd much prefer moving back to Baleyville.image >>

gotcha beat by 10 years with a 1987. I guess you can tell I like silver. 210K miles and still running strong: