Home Precious Metals
Options

how many of you who paper trade....

trade short more than long? and i guess many of you that do can be in and out a couple of times a day, whether long or short?

from what little i know, more $$ can be made on a successful short, than a successful long?

i'm NOT asking for any advice just curious.

as some here could be eating image today with the drop.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend more time in longs than shorts in a bull market trend. Whenever I sell longs its because I see a drop forming and then move temporarily to shorts. Money to be made in both directions. Timing is everything. 90% of trades are with silver because of the volatility. And yes, I am not always right, but as long as it remains 75% of the time I'm making money.

Edited to add: my "shorting" is done by goiing long on inverse ETFs.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I spend more time in longs than shorts in a bull market trend. Whenever I sell longs its because I see a drop forming and then move temporarily to shorts. Money to be made in both directions. Timing is everything. 90% of trades are with silver because of the volatility. And yes, I am not always right, but as long as it remains 75% of the time I'm making money. >>

Same here. Most of my bets are on the long side. I sold my SLV calls yesterday but did not go short. I just got back into SLV calls about 30 minutes ago when silver was at $35.00 but with only with a handful. Already have a limit sell order in. Hoping to make a quick $500 to $1000 but even if it silver does not rebound by the end of the day, the expiration is not until April.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>trade short more than long? and i guess many of you that do can be in and out a couple of times a day, whether long or short?

from what little i know, more $$ can be made on a successful short, than a successful long?

i'm NOT asking for any advice just curious.

as some here could be eating image today with the drop. >>

If you short a stock it can only go to zero, netting a 100% return (assuming no leverage). If you buy a stock it can go up 1000's%.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Ask all of the ,"I've got this thing figured out", end of the world myopians, who have been buying the triple short spxu fund.

Shorting for these guys has left them short, very short of cash.

Even in bad markets shorting is difficult, in normal and up markets it can crush you.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shorting on a leveraged position requires that you really know what you are doing. Today is the classic example of why paper is so dangerous - you will truly never see the BIG ONE coming.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shorting on a leveraged position requires that you really know what you are doing. Today is the classic example of why paper is so dangerous - you will truly never see the BIG ONE coming. >>

Edited my reply to be clear that my "Shorting" is done by going long with inverse ETFs.

Leveraged and Inverse leveraged commodity ETFs (easty to trade ultra shorts and ultra longs)

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar