Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Sellin Entire Baseball Card Collection - over 15,000 cards, 1950's thru 1970's

We are asking $50,000 for the entire lot, and will include shipping (within a reasonable amount). Please let me know if you are interested.

1953 Topps: Partial, 70 cards

1953 Bowman: Partial, 12 cards

1954 Bowman: Partial, 62 cards

1954 Topps: Partial, 222 cards

1955 Topps: Partial, 180 cards

1955 Bowman: Partial, 155 cards

1956 Topps: Partial, 325 cards

1957 Topps: Partial, 330 cards

1958 Topps: Complete Set

1959 Topps: Complete Set

1960 Topps: Complete Set

1961 Topps: Complete Set

1962 Topps: Complete Set

1963 Topps: Complete Set

1964 Topps: Complete Set

1965 Topps: Complete Set

1966 Topps: Complete Set

1967 Topps: Complete Set

1968 Topps: Complete Set

1969 Topps: Complete Set

1970 Topps: Complete Set

1971 Topps: Complete Set

1972 Topps: Complete Set

1973 Topps: Complete Set

1974 Topps: Complete Set

1975 Topps: Complete Set

1976 Topps: Complete Set

1977 Topps: Complete Set

1978 Topps: Complete Set

1979 Topps: Complete Set

Set History

My father was an active collector from the early 50's through his death in 2009. While in his possession, the cards were stored in sleeves, in binders, in a custom bookshelf located in his closet

We inherited the collection in 2009 and have stored the collection in a similar manner. We did our best to disturb the set as little as possible during our evaluation/cataloguing.

Set Description:

Collection contains 15,575 cards, Years 1953- 1979. Years 1953 - 1957 (TOPPS and Bowman for 53'-55 ) are incomplete sets. All sets 1958 - 1979 (All TOPPS) are complete sets.

There are two autographed cards in this set. Although not professionally authenticated, I was personally present when these cards were signed. They are:

1963 Pete Rose rookie card

1975 Willie Mays MVP card

Set Valuation

All 15,575 cards were individually inspected and assigned a condition grade using the Beckett Grading Scale (BGS) as a reference. Many cards are very good/excellent condition, some excellent and ex/mint, some just good or very good. All sets/cards were entered into the Beckett on-line tool and the resulting value of the collection was over $100,000.

Photos and examples of high value cards available upon request!

Thank you...

Comments

• Nice collection. Would have to see them to give a good offer.

Thanks, Matt
    Ebay Store: MSKD2

Thanks, Matt
  • 2 posts and no pics...Good luck with that!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I wish you the best on the sale of your fathers collection. Not sure if a straight ex conditioned set complete from 58-79 would bring more than $20,000 retail. For example the 1961 Topps set ranges from $1000 to $5000 depending on a condition of vg to nrmt . I would get a nearby dealer/PSA member from your city to review the cards to see if you have any high grade low pops. If you were to have something like that then $50K is obtainable but a lot of work and luck.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Thank you but your rude commentary is not appreciated. We're doing this not because we want to , but have to financially... I lost both my parents last year and it is very hard to sell this set (he actually has them thru 2010) We are happy to provide lots of pics... we have the high value cards scanned. Since I could not find my original post and it is my first time on this forum, I thought I'd better post again and decided to bring the price down again.

I will respond now to those who are much kinder than you! Directed at the post from the one genetleman above.

Thank you to the others that repsonded kindly. I will take some of your suggestions and possibly repost when completed. image

• Sorry for your loss but after being on here for going on 10 years you see a little bit of everything. Best of luck selling off the collection.
    Sorry for your loss and I hope that my comments were not considered rude. I would like to personal message you but you don't have it on. I would be interested depending on the condition but scans of 20 cards or 200 cards won't work for anyone on this board so don't worry about all the hassle. Is there a way we can discuss by phone? If you turn on your PM I will give you my cell number.

Shane
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice group. Is the the only avenue you have thought about selling this 50,000.00 lot at?
    Try Rick Probstien he will do you right so I hear.
  • And to think I just sold a run of 40k cards 70's and before for $1200.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I am interested in the collection, but it is pretty unlikely that $50,000 is reasonable. It would be best to have someone familiar with the market to check them out. If you are comfotable posting your approximate location (your state, or region), I'm sure this board could direct to a reputable dealer. Feel free to contact me with the PM function.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are in the south Pennsylvania/Maryland area, let me know. I know a dealer who buys very large collections and always pays very fair prces.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Most of your interest and value will come from the fifties cards although there are some nice sixties sets in there. Do you have the Beckett.com list of what you have in your organize section of that site? If you want to sell, consign to Probstein. Otherwise, you do know the rough value.... good luck with the sale.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    This probably sounds like a repeat, but I have some interest in your collection but would have to see it to understand whether your $50,000 asking price is
    reasonable or not. Can you PM me so that I can understand your location and perhaps get some of the scans you have of the higher $ items?

Thanks

Dave

Dave

• << <i>Most of your interest and value will come from the fifties cards although there are some nice sixties sets in there. Do you have the Beckett.com list of what you have in your organize section of that site? If you want to sell, consign to Probstein. Otherwise, you do know the rough value.... good luck with the sale. >>

I missed this on my first read too..

Very bottom they say beckett value of 100k.

Good luck getting 50k unless you have some mint cards... I typically get around 10% for random assortments of stars and commons, and sets 20-30%.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    A lot of people are interested, but NO ONE will buy it sight unseen. What part of the country are you in?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people are interested, but NO ONE will buy it sight unseen. What part of the country are you in? >>

Agreed. The collection could be worth anywhere from $20k to over $100k depending on condition and whether there are star cards in the partial sets.
  • Consignment to a reputable dealer will net you the most cash.

I'm sure that you don't have the upmost knowledge of baseball cards. Don't take that as an insult, but more as an observation.

Your first post comes across as somewhat fishy and un-trust worthy. That is a strike against you and will affect any sell price you may realize.

By consigning, your cards will be sold by a seller with who has already established some credentials. Buyers will pay a premium for a reputable dealer.

Probstein123 is an excellent consigner. You should seek his advise
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Thank you for all your helpful responses. We are located in San Jose, California. I can get an Excel file to anyone requesting one, which is detailed by year, card number, player name, condition, and card type (Bowman or Topps - most sets except for some of the earlier incomplete ones are Topps), I also have picked out several cards from each set that I have scanned.

We would welcome anyone who wants to come take a look at them if you are either willing to travel or in the area.

We are very eager to sell the set, and plan on listing on EBAY very soon unless we sell it advance. We are open to any insight you may have. Using Beckett, and having a local card shop owner (who is not able to buy the set because he is closing his shop due to personal problems) help us verify grading on at least some of the cards, we were able to qualify the grading on each card to the best of our understanding. We will not be getting them graded at PSA due to cost.

Please send me your email address if you woudl liek an Execl file sent to you, as well as scans of some of the cards.

As far as what we think they are worth, it is only because of literally catalogiung every single card in Beckett. We understood this to be the most accurate, and yet realize that every single card is not worth its value alone. We also understand that dealers must make a profit.

We only got through 1979, even though the collection was through 2010, because we know the cards up to 1980 are the most desirable and we have two older sons who would like to carry on their grandfather's card collecting (something he actively particpated in with them, teaching them ... this was not only his hobby, he was an educated baseball card colelctor and his passion) so we thought we could have them start from 1980 and continue. My father also had many minor league cards in binders, as well as senior league and SSPC sets.

Thank you.

Chuck Major
    cmajorjr@aol.com

• LodiBrewFan hits all the key points. Best to re-read his post. My advice is don't be stubborn. This is, after all, for your children. Think of them first.
    Here is my email address. Would love to view and speak with you.

Shaneleo@aol.com

Thanks
    Shane
  • here is my email address boyd_wilson@hotmail.com
  • are you willing to sell by player lot?
    I collect Topps Heritage baseball, Roberto Clemente, Sandy Koufax, Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, Ian Kinsler, Kevin Youkilis, Ike Davis, Danny Valencia
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live close to San Jose. I'd be happy to stop by to give you an idea of condition and value. I'll send you an email.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    First, sorry for the loss of your father.

It's all about condition of the cards. The condition that grading companies will assign to it as opposed to what you or others here think they are graded.

I believe PSA is based in Southern California. I would recommend contacting them and making a visit to have them evaluate some of the condition of the key cards that you have in the sets, along with an entire binder of cards from a more expensive Topps set in the 50s/60s.

They will charge you a fee to grade (worth the time & investment), but given your situation I would believe they would spend some extra time reviewing what you have.

I would be careful of working with dealers or buyers before you know what you have as it relates to condition. People will be looking to cherry pick what you have. For example, you may have one particular year that is in better condition than most & want to buy that set. Since you don't know the "professional" grade of the cards, you may get short-changed.

If the condition of your sets is on the high-end (Near Mint to Nm/Mt), then you may want to consider consigning to a prominent auction house.

You will maximize your money by selling not selling them as one large lot, but separate. This approach will yield buyers that are collecting as opposed to dealers & they will pay that retail $ you are seeking...

I'd recommend doing some ebay searches to understand what some of the cards and sets are going for & compare that to what condition you think you have if your unsure by what's above.

If you have the ability to scan a few of the more expensive cards & post them here -- you will get an array of ideas to the grade & it will be entertaining to the forum...

Best of luck...

Erik

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

• << <i>First, sorry for the loss of your father.

It's all about condition of the cards. The condition that grading companies will assign to it as opposed to what you or others here think they are graded.

I believe PSA is based in Southern California. I would recommend contacting them and making a visit to have them evaluate some of the condition of the key cards that you have in the sets, along with an entire binder of cards from a more expensive Topps set in the 50s/60s.

They will charge you a fee to grade (worth the time & investment), but given your situation I would believe they would spend some extra time reviewing what you have.

I would be careful of working with dealers or buyers before you know what you have as it relates to condition. People will be looking to cherry pick what you have. For example, you may have one particular year that is in better condition than most & want to buy that set. Since you don't know the "professional" grade of the cards, you may get short-changed.

If the condition of your sets is on the high-end (Near Mint to Nm/Mt), then you may want to consider consigning to a prominent auction house.

You will maximize your money by selling not selling them as one large lot, but separate. This approach will yield buyers that are collecting as opposed to dealers & they will pay that retail $ you are seeking...

I'd recommend doing some ebay searches to understand what some of the cards and sets are going for & compare that to what condition you think you have if your unsure by what's above.

If you have the ability to scan a few of the more expensive cards & post them here -- you will get an array of ideas to the grade & it will be entertaining to the forum...

Best of luck...

Erik >>

He said they won't be using PSA because of the cost
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Not grading any of them would be a mistake. Spend $200 to grade out the most important cards...see what happens & you could make more than $50K depending upon what kind of condition his father collected...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not grading any of them would be a mistake. Spend $200 to grade out the most important cards...see what happens & you could make more than $50K depending upon what kind of condition his father collected... >>

He is correct. a Raw 1958 Mantle or a PSA 6? A similar card on ebay will sell for $325 and in a PSA slab will go for $450. No brainer. Pick out 20 cards and grade them. Hands down.